Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm flying out soon for Birmingham, AL. My sisters and I will then drive to WV. I'm not packing my guns but will use their S&W Shield instead. I just don't want the hassle of declaring firearms in my luggage.

We will be staying one hour or so from DC and have made the decision to not even take the risk of being a tourist because of the high risk of riots. As I look at the states we will be driving through they all seem to have reciprocity with Florida. We will take excursions once we get to WV. We're looking at PA. The only way to get from WV to PA is to go through hostile Maryland. This is from their website:

"Maryland is one of the states with the strictest gun laws in the United States of America. The state has a May-issue policy for CCW permits. So even if you meet the requirements, the issuing board still has the discretion to either accept or reject. Also, there are strict laws that govern the dealings of firearms in the state. You need to complete a criminal background check, a handgun registration, and obtain a license before you can purchase a gun. Because of these strict laws, you do not have any margin for error while applying for Maryland CCW permits."

I've noticed that all the violence at restaurants are located in states that have strict concealed laws because they know law abiding citizens can't carry concealed. We will be strategic in where we go visit because of the political climate out there right now.

·
Registered
537 Posts
79 to 43 to get into PA without touching maryland. If you have to go through, lock em up in the trunk, drive the speed limit. I don't have a problem going through there even with FL plates. Stay away from baltimore.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I just don't want the hassle of declaring firearms in my luggage.
Hassle? Bah! It's SO easy. I've done it countless times.

The only way to get from WV to PA is to go through hostile Maryland.
No it isn't. WV has borders with PA. I'd go around MD, no matter how much longer the trip is.

·
Registered
20,355 Posts
I've noticed that all the violence at restaurants are located in states that have strict concealed laws because they know law abiding citizens can't carry concealed. We will be strategic in where we go visit because of the political climate out there right now.
not necessarily true...my hometown of rochester ny has people tearing up restaurants and bars and it is legal to carry in both...or was when i lived there...what you are seeing is those crimes being committed in liberal run cities because the penalties are non-existent...

transporting a gun through a state is legal...unloaded and locked up...

·
Super Moderator
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a lot going on here so I'm glad I posted.

You set me straight on many levels.

This is why I keep hanging out with you guys.

Thanks!

Reactions: Starfist52

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
BB beat me to it ..... Unloaded, in trunk!!! It is also not required to declare firearm if pulled over, but there’s also a 10 round mag limit. So unloaded in trunk, in an enclosure, with ammo separate & don’t say shiz if pulled over. Don’t know what your mag limits are of what your carrying, but there’s is 10 as previously stated. Pretty much why I got my G27, I was traveling all over the US for a while. Also, flying with it ain’t no big deal either, that said, they did send mine to another destination once ..... on a direct flight from VA to TIA! The ticket agent was a BEOTCH & Fugged up my tag intentionally & flat out stated “ no one should be able to fly with a gun “ She didn’t know my buddies daughter was pretty high up in SouthWest & she got her azz handed to her😆

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Also, flying with it ain’t no big deal either, that said, they did send mine to another destination once ..... on a direct flight from VA to TIA! The ticket agent was a BEOTCH & Fugged up my tag intentionally & flat out stated “ no one should be able to fly with a gun “
So, the ticket agent INTENTIONALLY sent your bag to the wrong destination?? Wow.

·
Super Moderator
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where I'm going in WV is almost located at the bottom end of the "C" shaped arrow above. So pretty high up there on the state. Doesn't appear to be an easy way to get to PA avoiding Maryland especially if we want to go to Gettysburg. ugh

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Doesn't appear to be an easy way to get to PA avoiding Maryland especially if we want to go to Gettysburg. ugh
I'd go WAY out of my way to avoid MD. I really would.

·
Registered
54,493 Posts
Just a heads up on storage of firearms while interstate traveling. Federal law guidelines can be followed to the letter, but states like NJ, California [ and likely Maryland in many instances ] refuse to recognize the federal interstate transportation of firearms. People have been arrested for transporting guns legally and to the letter of the federal guidelines. I'd be VERY careful.
When I was traveling to California to visit the nephew once a year at the holidays, I left the guns home. Don't need any problems with aggressive LEO's in some states that have a propensity for ignoring the federal interstate transport law.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Did a trip up from Florida to Maryland recently. Had to, my wife's mother lives there. Anyway, one point on the COVID situation. In Democrat-controlled states we found that we could not stop along the highway and go into a fast-food place for lunch. Drive-through ONLY! Which is completely stupid. It is not that difficult to distance people to make dining inside perfectly safe.

Anyway, if you're doing any long days of driving, take a lunch, or plan on driving-through and then trying to find someplace to pull over and eat.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
So, the ticket agent INTENTIONALLY sent your bag to the wrong destination?? Wow.
She ABSOLUTELY did. Not once, but twice! The first time I caught it looking at my claim ticket & showed it to the supervisor, she took it back to her while I had to open my lock box & show this dipschick my magazines were out of my pistol & made me take his pen & push the followers down into the mags!!!! The F’in IDIOT, NEVER MADE ME RACK THE SLIDE!! I looked at him & said this is the stupidest schiz I’ve ever seen, he said “ just being safe “ 😂 I almost pissed myself & said “ you sir are a F’ing moron “ & walked away.

·
Super Moderator
27,122 Posts
The LEOs and citizens of the area through western DPRofMD you've planned to travel through is much more 2A friendly than the counties surrounding DC and Baltimore. Maryland is like two states bisected in the middle; western MD and the Eastern shore are very conservative and 2A friendly, even the Country Sheriffs. Then there's the counties surrounding DC and Baltimore (i.e., the population centers), which are quite liberal/anti-2A and overpower the conservative areas. If it were me traveling along your intended route, I have and would be comfortable following the Federal Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) transportation requirements.

Before crossing the DPRofMD State line, make sure the firearm is transported with the ammunition removed from the firearm (including the chamber) and locked in the truck of the car or in a lockbox out of reach of the vehicle occupants, and you should be ok. Note that the magazine doesn't have to be unloaded as long as the firearm is transported I.A.W. FOPA; the ammunition just has to be separated from the locked away firearm. [However, I haven't been back to the DPRofMD since I sold the house in 2017 and haven't checked updates of the MD statutes.] Whenever I transported a firearm(s), even as a DPRofMD citizen, I always locked the unloaded firearm on one locked container and the [loaded] magazines in another in the back of my SUV such there was never any question that the firearm and ammunition were separated and out of reach of the occupants, even though it wasn't required by MD law to lock up the ammunition.

However, as brownie warns, in some states, New Jersey in particular, LEOs would arrest people traveling through NJ when they made an intermediate stop to obtain food and/or fuel, or when the LEOs had occasion to interact with the traveler (speeding, traffic accidents, etc.). I'd even heard [unconfirmed] rumors of out-of-state travelers getting rear-ended and the NJSP arresting the traveler for firearms transported under FOPA. If the traveler had HP ammunition in NJ, it was even worse!

I never, ever brought a firearm through NJ or NY, but always did when I traveled through DPRofMD to visit inlaws near Scranton, PA, just avoided ALL bridges and tunnels in/around Baltimore because the MDTAP (a.k.a. the MD Transport Authority police, but unofficially known as the "Bridge and Tunnel Police" and whom every other LEA in MD disliked) often used Gestapo like tactics. Once case in particular back in 2014 made national headlines when they tore an SUV with FL plates apart looking for weapons (they found none).

None of the above should be a problem on your intended route from WV to PA. I also want to echo what others have posted about traveling via airlines with a declared firearm, which is easy-peasy as long as you follow TSA and specific airline requirements AND do NOT take possession of the firearm if diverted to any airport in NJ or NY (we've had a few threads on that topic here, too.).

Travel safe, MB and enjoy the trip!🤠

Reactions: FfNJGTFO

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I also vote to drive around it despite the inconvenience or travel without the guns, not a great choice either way. I wouldn’t want to risk an arrest and then have to prove my innocence at my expense and loss of work, stress, arrested out of state and have to travel back and forth, etc...

I don’t think I would ever risk driving armed in one of those commie states.

Best of luck to you. Have fun visiting and traveling with your sisters. (y)

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I don't know if this works with your itinerary but if you go from VA to PA you cross MD on I81 and it's about a 6? mile stretch.

·
Super Moderator
27,122 Posts
Actually, the North-South distance from WV to PA state lines at Hancock, MD is only 1.8 miles!

Reactions: FfNJGTFO

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
I concur. I used to travel through I-81 and it was only a 10 minute, 12 mile ride through MD (Haggerstown). Wasn't ever a problem for me. Now, be careful because at some points along that 12 miles, the speed limits change to/from 60-65 miles. But, other than that, no major issues.

Where you don't want to be is anywhere near the two Balt. harbour tunnels. Because that's where they'll have the cars that have the ALPR cameras and linked to that data base that captures all the MCAC data. See this earlier thread for the example where Mr. Filipidis got stopped and his car ransacked.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I concur. I used to travel through I-81 and it was only a 10 minute, 12 mile ride through MD (Haggerstown). Wasn't ever a problem for me. Now, be careful because at some points along that 12 miles, the speed limits change to/from 60-65 miles. But, other than that, no major issues.

Where you don't want to be is anywhere near the two Balt. harbour tunnels. Because that's where they'll have the cars that have the ALPR cameras and linked to that data base that captures all the MCAC data. See this earlier post for the example where Mr. Filipidis got stopped and his car ransacked.
I concur - on all points. I did I-81 this summer en route to Carlisle.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
FWIW, MamaBear, I've flown with handguns many times and never had a problem. No one has even wanted me to prove the weapons were unloaded (???). Just sign the red tag and lock the box. I always say 'firearm' as opposed to gun or weapon. Joeyvco's experience was, in my mind, an outlier to the norm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts