Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
and cant WAIT to move to FL. I currently live in IL where there is no CCW. I will be moving to FL in Dec. How do I go about getting a CCW? Is it a class that you have to take, plus the paperwork? And who all is allowed to get one? I have no felonies or anything preventing me from owning firearms. Thanx in advance

I am also a former Marine with an Honorable discharge. Can I use that training towards my CCW?

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
and cant WAIT to move to FL. I currently live in IL where there is no CCW. I will be moving to FL in Dec. How do I go about getting a CCW? Is it a class that you have to take, plus the paperwork? And who all is allowed to get one? I have no felonies or anything preventing me from owning firearms. Thanx in advance

I am also a former Marine with an Honorable discharge. Can I use that training towards my CCW?
Welcome to the forum, welcome to Florida when you get here and thanks for your service :thumsup

As far as the application process is concerned your DD-214 qualifies you as far as firearms training goes. Here is a pdf of The Florida Concealed Weapons License Application Instructions. You can download it and read through it to see what's required. It might be best to go to your local gun store or range when you get here and take a class because they do discuss the law which is important also. Anyway welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome Ds300C. Where in Florida will you be moving to? Once you get here and get your permit and strap on your sidearm you'll really see how terrible IL is for gun owners.

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the site. And thank you for your service to our country. My family has labeled me a certified soldier junkie. For a few years now I've been sending letters and packages over to Iraq and Afghanistan for our soldiers. I use the site anysoldier.com to get my soldier contacts since I currently do not know anyone in the military. My dad was in the Air Force for 20 years and I spent my childhood in England and Spain so I have a soft spot for our military personnel.

Currently, since January, I've been supporting the same two Marine teams over in Iraq. One of my contacts is MSgt Spanky Gibson the first above the knee amputee to go back into service. If you google him you can read his story.

Anyway, thank you again for your service. Since I can't have a LEO or Marine strapped to me every waking moment I decided to go for the concealed license and take care of things myself. [g]

MamaBearto2

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for the warm welcomes.

We will be moving to the Pensacola area. That is where I met my wife, so I am familiar with the area. It is where she grew up, so its gonna be a blast.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Welcome Ds300. Look forward to interacting with ya.:thumsup

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Yes, I have told one group what I'm going. I've even sent in progress reports (copies) of my target sheets from the range. They've seen my first sheet where I couldn't hit a duck 10 feet in front of me to being able to fire 29 shots inside the big orange 'X' area. I had one shot just outside the orange area but still inside the big '9' circle. This was from 20 feet away. It must have been a good shoot day because I haven't hit every shot inside the orange since. I mostly get inside and very near the '9' circle though.

I tell them this stuff for many reasons. If I was a cute, young single girl I'm sure my letters would take on a different style but as it is I just happen to be a middle-aged walking hormone probably old enough to be their mother. And I'm married. Sort of takes away all the fun of having a military pen pal young man over in Iraq. I write them so they will know someone back home cares about them. I send copies of articles I think they want to read, cartoons, jokes and goodie boxes full of treats. Mostly I tell them I care that they are over there. And I send them range reports because as of now not one single friend of mine has an inkling that I go to the range nor do they know I'm waiting very anxiously to get my license in the mail. Soon enough it will come out and my friends will know but for now my military men know. I'm sure they think I'm nuts but then again most women my age are nuts. Oh well. I still love writing my Marines.

MamaBearto2

·
Registered
974 Posts
I write them so they will know someone back home cares about them. I send copies of articles I think they want to read, cartoons, jokes and goodie boxes full of treats.
MamaBearto2
I think it is very important to let the sheepdogs know there are some who appreciate them doing the job.

Thanks for thinking of the troops.

Maybe let them know there are a bunch of others in Florida who care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DON'T WAIT TO APPLY FOR YOUR FLORIDA LICENSE. DO IT NOW.

We have no distinction between resident and non-resident licenses. Go ahead and get your license now, and the only thing you need to do when you get here is give them a change of address.

You'll be ready to roll, and you can even carry in most of the states on the way down here.

Congratulations on leaving Ill-annoy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
DON'T WAIT TO APPLY FOR YOUR FLORIDA LICENSE. DO IT NOW.

We have no distinction between resident and non-resident licenses. Go ahead and get your license now, and the only thing you need to do when you get here is give them a change of address.

You'll be ready to roll, and you can even carry in most of the states on the way down here.

Congratulations on leaving Ill-annoy.
thanx for the advice. here is my next question, what do I check on the form? I saw places for LEO, retired LEO, stuff like that. What will I check when applying?

I just ordered my application online and will have it in the next two weeks.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
what do I check on the form? I saw places for LEO, retired LEO, stuff like that. What will I check when applying?

I just ordered my application online and will have it in the next two weeks.
You don't have to check any of these. Skip questions 1,2 & 3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts