Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread (Gun Shops NO LOAD Guns NO CCW? http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=985) made me think to ask a question I've been wondering about. I ride my motorcycle often. How / where should I unload my gun before going into a gun shop or range while carrying concealed? I've decided not to visit some local shops that don't allow carrying in their shop because I was carrying and not sure how to unload my gun without breaking the law. I don't think I should just draw my gun and drop the magazine and eject the round in the chamber standing in the parking lot (should I?), because then I'm not carrying concealed in public. Plus someone might think I'm loading and call the cops when they see me getting a gun ready in the parking lot and think I'm going to rob the place.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
I would say that when you enter the store you should explain your situation to the owner/employee...a reasonable person would probably make an exception or perhaps offer you an option to secure the gun in the store while you shop. If they tell you to hit the bricks, then I guess you'll know not to spend any money there.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
i would think they would allow you to unload your weapon inside the range area if they understood your situation one never knows til they ask. or you could not say a thing and ask where the rest room was and doit there.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I have had the same problem whenever I ride to the range and I have not come up with a good solution. I try not to ride to the range but sometimes I'm on the road and just want go put a few rounds downrange or check out a firearm. It is really inconvenient to go home for the truck a go back out. I have discreetly done the "parking lot disarm" but that is very risky.

Since I go to that particular range often maybe I should talk to the folks there and explain my situation and see if they'll allow me to disarm somewhere inside if they don't feel comfortable with me carrying.

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
I would say that when you enter the store you should explain your situation to the owner/employee...a reasonable person would probably make an exception or perhaps offer you an option to secure the gun in the store while you shop.

BINGO-----

If you don't have a place to secure/unload the firearm, I'll gladly let you carry it loaded in the shop if you ask and explain the situation you are in. In fact, many customers walk in and tell me their open carried gun is loaded. My reply has always been "just keep it in the holster, you're good to go". I then know that person has a loaded gun in the shop and he/she knows to keep it holstered. If for some reason you need to un-holster to check fit of a new holster perhaps, just ask and we'll get you to an area you can unload it and go about your business.

I'd prefer once the gun is in the shop not to have customers unloading their hardware/handling the firearm without direct supervision by one of the employees anyway.

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
It's a problem- though a lesser one- even if you're in a car or truck. That walk from your vehicle to the shop toting your gun case is one that I'd prefer to make armed. My favorite range/shop doesn't allow loaded magazines, either.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Posted by: rokclmb
How / where should I unload my gun before going into a gun shop or range while carrying concealed?
If you have a favorite gunshop or range that you go to, call them first, explain the situation, if they won't accomodate you, then keep calling others until you find one that will.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Been going to the same shop/range for about 1 year. Went in one day carrying, totally forgot I was carrying. When I realized what I had done I spoke to an employee and was told to forget about it. It wasn't a problem since they knew me.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Same problem I have in my Jeep since it has no top or doors. I could probably disarm without being noticed but I don't have a place to secure my weapon. Even if I add a lock box it would be noticeable so I don't like that idea either.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Same problem I have in my Jeep since it has no top or doors. I could probably disarm without being noticed but I don't have a place to secure my weapon. Even if I add a lock box it would be noticeable so I don't like that idea either.
I wouldn't secure my weapon in a Jeep like yours either. Maybe a quick call on the cellphone to the gun shop/range. Let them know your on your way in before hand and explain the situation. Let him/her know what you look like and tell them you have no problem unloading the weapon in a safe area to comply with their policy. Get the person's name your talking to.

Or you can get a small car gun safe, secure the weapon in the safe and take it with you if they allow it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess my question to OP is why would you shop at a gun store that didn't allow legal CCW? My local gun shop does, if they didn't I wouldnt shop there and that goes for anywhere that I would otherwise be able to carry legally.
just my 2

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Steve32,

I guess my question to OP is why would you shop at a gun store that didn't allow legal CCW?

Why would a gun shop not want people wandering around with loaded firearms in their shop? Let's see=-

1. Customers are always taking their loaded guns out of the holsters to try on new holsters, thereby handling loaded firearms as unknowns in the shop. That can lead to all kinds of problems, you see, MOST people don't have the first clue about gun safety and knowing that it's quite likely another customer could get shot accidently thereby crerating liability on the store owner for allowing loaded guns to be carried by unknown customers.

2. If there is an attempted armed robbery in the shop while you are there, and you pull YOUR gun while I'm addressing the issue with a BG or two, you are going to take incoming as well. Why? Cause I don't know you from squat and you could be part of the problem.

3. You pull your gun while I'm addressing the problems at hand thinking you are going to protect yourself and pull and errant round off in the excitement, more liability for the store owner.

4. You pull the gun and shoot some BG in the back for committing a forcible felony on myself and the other help thinking you are doing the right thing and helping, and the BG then shoots me for your effort as his gun was pointed at me across the counter when you did so. That creates liability for me by you, the unknown and probably not as well trained as myself.

5. Under #4, if you fire on the BG thinking you are within the law and are helping, now I have to react to both or all the BG's and you in the maelstrom that is sure to develop. You see, IF I have to pull my gun because you initiated gun play and the deal goes south cause you didn't see the second or third lookout BG who looked like a customer, I'm going to be firing on EVERYONE who doesn't work there and who isn't known to me [ that would likely include you ].

6. Under #4, if you think you are going to save the day because you've got a CCW and you're allowed to fire on a felon in the commission of a felony assault or robbery, you may just find that the employees don't appreciate your initiating a hail of gunfire based on your perceptions of what's going to work or not.

7. You likely DON'T have the training I have, whether you think you do or not. Why should I have to rely on your mental prowess to figure out all the above details and call the game play correctly instead of not calling it correctly and panicking in the armed robbery and causing both myself and more of the employees and customers potential injury or death based on your actions? I don't know you, I don't want you to ACT with lethal force against BG's and I don't want you to be a liability to myself or others.

YOU know YOU, we don't.

As such, it's safer for everyone if you aren't carrying in the shop, legal to do so or not. I've seen hundreds of 1 D 1 0 T's in the shop with loaded guns who've painted me with them at the counter, hundreds of them with loaded guns finger screwing with their guns trying to fit holsters, hundreds of customers who don't know sheet from shinola about the gun they own or how to be safe with it, I've seen hundreds of people who pointed loaded guns at about any and all customers in the shop while bringing the gun to the counter to sell it.

It's dangerous enough, and customers being customers make it more dangerous for the people behind the counters too often to take the chance you won't be one of the 1 D 1 0 T's that walk through a gun shops doors every minute of every day all across the country.

I'm not alive by accident, and if you don't have a loaded gun in the shop, you can't have an accident that injures me or another customer. Sad that most people only look at the situation from that side of the counter. If you had as many loaded guns drawn from holsters and pointed at you as I have in the last 3+ years, you'd have a different perspective on your question.

See post 2 and 5 previously. Dead eye has already addressed how to approach the store employees about this---- I can be reasonable, but I'm getting very tired of having loaded guns pointed at me by customers. In fact I'm getting damned angry about it and just today had an old man point a semi auto at me while he took it out of the holster wanting to trade it in for another gun.

Let's hope it doesn't come down to me pulling MY gun on some 1 D 1 0 T who points a loaded gun at me the next time. It's been getting closer to that as the months and years roll on. Right now they get a verbal beat down in front of anyone who happens to be around in the store, and I don't really give a crap who likes it or not.

Are you the next 1 D 1 0 T that walks into the shop with a loaded gun and pulls some bonehead move and points it at some customer or myself? I don't know, and I don't really care to find out either. Unload the guns before you come in the shop or ask us what we'd like you to do if it is still loaded for whatever reason when you walk through the door.

Brownie

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just brought my Jeep down here and ran into this the other day. Luckily, my rear seat is out and the whole back is a secure box. I just stood inside my tailgate a discreetly pulled my firearm from the holster and put it in the back of the jeep, using the tailgate as cover. As a righty, my strongside is inside the tailgate. If you're a lefty, this could prove more awkward. The box is more secure than being in a mounted safe in a standard vehicle. If you can't lose your rear seat, you could find an instatrunk. I used to have one and it was quite secure. It's also good for other valuables. Now if only I could solve that pesky death wobble. :rolleyes:

As for the GS issue, you could drop the mag with your firearm fairly retained in your holster to show good will and then inform an employee of your firearms status when you enter(no mag, but chambered).

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
Steve32,

I guess my question to OP is why would you shop at a gun store that didn't allow legal CCW?

Why would a gun shop not want people wandering around with loaded firearms in their shop? Let's see=-
Brownie, good post, and quite interesting. But would you say that much of what you say applies to carrying into any retail establishment?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brownie,

I can appreciate the fact that you think I don't have as much training as you ( I would dis agree ), but with the exception of number 1 , everything else you mentioned could happen anywhere, not just a gun store. Should I not carry anywhere then? Why is my right to carry ok everywhere that I am legally allowed except your gun store? I guess we just have different views on this , but one thing is for sure, I would never spend a dime in a store that tried to make me leave my firearm in my car and not have the ability to protect myself everywhere legally possible

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Brownie, good post, and quite interesting. But would you say that much of what you say applies to carrying into any retail establishment?
No sir, I was directly replying to Steve32's comment about gun shops. Gun shops have people taking guns out for all kinds of reasons [ selling, trading, checking holster fit, etc ].

In other retail stores, that would not be germain.

Brownie

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Brownie,

I can appreciate the fact that you think I don't have as much training as you ( I would dis agree ), but with the exception of number 1 , everything else you mentioned could happen anywhere, not just a gun store. Should I not carry anywhere then? Why is my right to carry ok everywhere that I am legally allowed except your gun store? I guess we just have different views on this , but one thing is for sure, I would never spend a dime in a store that tried to make me leave my firearm in my car and not have the ability to protect myself everywhere legally possible
Shoot me a PM, we'll see if you have the training I have with firearms. The PM won't be necessary if you don't hold professional certification in SWAT/SWAT Team Leader/Counter Sniper and Anti Terrorist Training or been carrying professionally for 30 years charged with protecting others lives to begin with. More professional training in Aerial shooting with pistols and rifles [ moving targets skills training ]. Developing the ability to shoot to sound only in complete darkness [ Enhanced Auditory Perception skills ]. Throwing lead with two guns simultaneously on two threats [ Enhanced Peripheral Vision skills ]. If you've got that much professional training and/or certs, lets talk via PM on the rest of the training you may have over my own. :thumsup

with the exception of number 1 , everything else you mentioned could happen anywhere, not just a gun store.

That's true, and you specifically mentioned the gun shop, I wasn't addressing anything but that location. Everything I stated was addressing the gun shop question you posted about carrying loaded inside. As far as I'm concerned, you can carry loaded anywhere you like, but NOT in the gun shop for the above stated reasons.

Why is my right to carry ok everywhere that I am legally allowed except your gun store?

My previous post spelled it out fairly well. I don't want anyone I don't know handling their firearm [ which they do in gun shops ]. Most other establishments are not going to be having patrons handling guns like they do in gun shops. Carrying into WallyWorld is not the same thing as a gun shop. Look at it this way, some 1 D 1 0 T could be handling their firearm recklessly in the shop and shoot your butt by accident. Customers have a right to shop safely, and people handling firearms unattended/unwatched with no supervision is a recipe for disaster. It's not if, but when it happens.

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
Brownie,

Steve, you and I clearly had some similar thoughts on this, but I would disagree with your policy of automatically withholding business from any establishment that denies me the right to carry. This is a business decision for the owner, and I have to make a decision as to whether entering his shop unarmed is dangerous enough to overcome any advantage that I might gain from doing business there. He might, after all, have the best prices in town on just what I want.

That said, when it comes to doing business at a gun range, I'm going to lean heavily toward the establishment that allows me to carry concealed until I reach my assigned firing point.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
The range nearest me is County run....... THEY DO NOT EVEN ALLOW HOLSTERS TO BE WORN, much less a CCW! Oh and no double taps, no rapid fire, no fire from concealment, no fire from moving.....

Other than sighting in, it's pretty much a waste of $11

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brownie,

Clearly you are more trained than I, But also I would never dream of walking into a gun shop and drawing my loaded weapon to see if it fits a holster, I guess the gun shops I frequent are pretty smart in that reguard because they have almost every dummy gun model available and all I have to do is ask if I can see the dummy model I wish to buy the holster for and if I was bringing a gun in for any reason that I might have to show it to someone, then it would be in a case and I would be carrying one of my other guns. as for being mistaken for the BG , that can happen anywhere and is something I think about all the time while training for different situations.

Thank you for your time,

1 - 20 of 59 Posts