Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to go the range today.. but I'm not sure what the proper way to carry my firearm from the car to the building is.

..for example.. if I had a CCW permit, I would put it in a bag and carry it in, no problem.
Since I do not.. how do I transport it without concealing it, but also not "brandishing a firearm", which is also illegal?

...seems like a catch 22 here.
If it's visible, it's illegal in public.. if it's not visible, then I have to have a permit?

..help me out here please.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
So I want to go the range today.. but I'm not sure what the proper way to carry my firearm from the car to the building is.

..for example.. if I had a CCW permit, I would put it in a bag and carry it in, no problem.
Since I do not.. how do I transport it without concealing it, but also not "brandishing a firearm", which is also illegal?

...seems like a catch 22 here.
If it's visible, it's illegal in public.. if it's not visible, then I have to have a permit?

..help me out here please.
Florida Statute 790.25(3)(j) or (k) or (m) will cover you nicely with your question.

AD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses.

..so basically because it's a range, private property, I'm ok.
I don't have a case yet though.. can I carry it in a backpack?
I've read through some statues, but ..lawyer speak is confusing lol.

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
Yes, a backpack is fine. If you are nervous about this, have mag or ammo in a separate compartment. Making an appoint ment at the range isn't required but might give peace of mind in the very unlikely event you are asked to prove it.

Mostly, my advice is just to keep you from being nervous about it. Most new weapons owners are but Florida is LEGAL owner friendly and exceptions to restrictions are pretty liberal. :thumsup

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I think the important thing to remember is that concealed carry is when the gun is "on your person".
If in a guncase/rangebag etc. that's not on your person.

·
Super Moderator
10,656 Posts
As people have said, you are covered by the statutes. However, the issues related to carrying firearms from one place to another make it desirable for all gun owners to have a CCWL. It just takes all of the ambiguity and technical questions out of the situation.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I think the important thing to remember is that concealed carry is when the gun is "on your person".
While this may appear to be splitting hairs, the distinction is important. Carrying in a bag it is considered on your person; however, when going to or from the range, 790.25 supersedes 790.01.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
While this may appear to be splitting hairs, the distinction is important. Carrying in a bag it is considered on your person; however, when going to or from the range, 790.25 supersedes 790.01.
Not splitting hairs at all.....what about carry in a purse? Just to have a woman ( .......to be PC about this ...or a man) carry a gun in a purse is illegal carry without a license. But going to a range is legal. Better carry some used targets with you in the purse I guess.:thumsup

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Not exactly!

on or about his or her person commits a felony

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.01.html

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
As people have said, you are covered by the statutes. However, the issues related to carrying firearms from one place to another make it desirable for all gun owners to have a CCWL. It just takes all of the ambiguity and technical questions out of the situation.
While I had fired weapons prior to getting my CWFL, I didn't personally own any firearms until I obtained the CWFL. To clear up any ambiguity, and also because I hate waiting for things I've paid a lot of money for. :cool:

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I stand corrected.
Less of a correction, more of a nuance. T2TL further points out that nuance and I should have been more careful in my wording… saying “on” when I should have said “on or about”. Nonetheless, one can carry on or about their person when traveling to or from the range without a CWFL. However, if we go by a strict interpretation of federal law, without a license/permit to carry in the sate you are traveling, one may not drive within 1000' of a school while doing so. And that may be impossible to avoid.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
Not true. It only 790.25 only supersedes 790.01, in the case of concealed carry to your residence or place of business. 790.25 supersedes 790.053 and allows for open carry when going to and from the range. That being said, I have never heard of an instance of a LEO arresting someone for simply carrying a firearm into or out of a range in any kind of bag or container.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Not true. It only 790.25 only supersedes 790.01, in the case of concealed carry to your residence or place of business. 790.25 supersedes 790.053 and allows for open carry when going to and from the range. That being said, I have never heard of an instance of a LEO arresting someone for simply carrying a firearm into or out of a range in any kind of bag or container.
It has been argued both ways that while 790.25 permits open carrying for the prescribed activities, some claim it is both only open carry and concealed, while some say open only. I take it you are of the latter. I do not agree.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Less of a correction, more of a nuance. T2TL further points out that nuance and I should have been more careful in my wording… saying “on” when I should have said “on or about”. Nonetheless, one can carry on or about their person when traveling to or from the range without a CWFL. However, if we go by a strict interpretation of law, one may not drive within 1000' of a school while doing so.
Here's another, basically useless, nuance that accompanies that completely unconstitutional law: The law actually states "within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school." So a 1000' imaginary extension of the property lines in all directions. As opposed, perhaps to a 1000' radius from the school itself, or the 'center' of the property or some other arbitrary point. And then only a school that provides elementary or secondary education.

It is impossible for any reasonable person to know when they in a 'school zone', without going in advance to every public, private and parochial school they anticipate traveling near (and even the ones they don't) and taking exacting measurements.
Therefore one cannot know or have reasonable cause to believe that they are in a school zone! Unless of course they're sitting in the school parking lot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts