Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone of you guys shoot IDPA matches. I'm becoming more interested in doing it. I live in West Palm Beach and would like to know where is the closet place that do these matches. Also, what's are membership procedures to getting started. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bug Match question

Ok, I heard they were having a BUG match at Gateway in October and I wanted to know what I would need to shoot the match. I have a M&P 40C , 3.5" barrrel and an S&W 642 revolver, and I wanted to know if you used both in the match. I have holsters for both, but only 1 speed loader for the 642 and nothing to hold it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Ok, I heard they were having a BUG match at Gateway in October and I wanted to know what I would need to shoot the match. I have a M&P 40C , 3.5" barrrel and an S&W 642 revolver, and I wanted to know if you used both in the match. I have holsters for both, but only 1 speed loader for the 642 and nothing to hold it. Thanks
Run the M&P. If it's run the way previous BUG matches were run, it's just a normal IDPA match using BUGs...you'll need all the normal equipment.

If it's just a BUG stage during a normal match, you can use either.

I know we're doing a Classifier on the 9th. Website doesn't say anything about a BUG match for October...but I wasn't at the September shoot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Norm
The closest to West Palm I beleive is as stated above:
Tropical Sport Shooter Assoc. (TSSA) a club afiliated with IDPA...join IDPA and then join TSSA I think $40 per year.
Markham Park 4th Saturday of the month sign in no later than 8:30 AM....drills night is 1st Tues night 6 PM sign in by 6:30 PM
They also shoot at Trail Glades in Dade County 2nd Saturday of the month 8:30 AM
new shooters to the club are require to attend a new shooter orientation.....demonstrate skills to a Safety Officer
cost to shoot is $20 for members of TSSA and $25 for non members

TSSA Club forum can be found here............http://tssaidpa.us/smf/index.php

Standby has told me Okeechobee Shooting Range will start an IDPA club soon

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
Run the M&P. If it's run the way previous BUG matches were run, it's just a normal IDPA match using BUGs...you'll need all the normal equipment.

If it's just a BUG stage during a normal match, you can use either.

I know we're doing a Classifier on the 9th. Website doesn't say anything about a BUG match for October...but I wasn't at the September shoot.
What happens at a Classifier?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Go and shoot, its a blast! Everyone is nice and will help you along. I shot my 1st match last month with a few guys from here, plus got to meet deadeye dick before we shot. Great people! Did I mention that its alot of fun?!?!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Norm
The closest to West Palm I beleive is as stated above:
Tropical Sport Shooter Assoc. (TSSA) a club afiliated with IDPA...join IDPA and then join TSSA I think $40 per year.
Markham Park 4th Saturday of the month sign in no later than 8:30 AM....drills night is 1st Tues night 6 PM sign in by 6:30 PM
They also shoot at Trail Glades in Dade County 2nd Saturday of the month 8:30 AM
new shooters to the club are require to attend a new shooter orientation.....demonstrate skills to a Safety Officer
cost to shoot is $20 for members of TSSA and $25 for non members

TSSA Club forum can be found here............http://tssaidpa.us/smf/index.php

Standby has told me Okeechobee Shooting Range will start an IDPA club soon
Yes, currently the closest IDPA to Palm Beach County is the Markham Park matches on the 4th Saturday as has been posted.

It would be great if the Okeechobee range did IDPA, since it is actually closer to me (I am in NW PBC). As it is, I have not made it to Markham for IDPA, because it is like 75 miles away from me. Keep meaning to get there for it, because I did enjoy it when I shot matches at Gateway in Jax (which were the closest to me when I lived in Tally).

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
a classifier is a string of stages set to test a shooters ability at different distances, moving and utilization of cover to choose the class the shooter will shoot in at idpa events...instead of stages with tactical descriptions the instructions are very black and white on how the stage is shot...

http://www.idpa.com/classify.asp

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
90 rounds on 'standard' stages. Designed to test skill levels for all of the basic IDPA criteria. You come out of it with a classification based on your total time, points down, and the type of weapon you're shooting. See bladenbullet's post for specifics.

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
out of the ashes....

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Signed up with IDPA in 2007...never shot a match...thinking about trying it out just for the fun..Sean has been hammering me about coming out and giving it a try..Hell I cant see the sights so at the distance they shoot at it should be interesting...Got to much going on at VCGHC with IDPA, IPSC, Carbine matches and soon ICORE matches and Steel matches...Might as well have some fun with it while I still can...Watched a guy on you tube shoot the classifier in 59.40 either ESP or SSP..now thats scary fast...

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Signed up with IDPA in 2007...never shot a match...thinking about trying it out just for the fun..Sean has been hammering me about coming out and giving it a try..Hell I cant see the sights so at the distance they shoot at it should be interesting...Got to much going on at VCGHC with IDPA, IPSC, Carbine matches and soon ICORE matches and Steel matches...Might as well have some fun with it while I still can...Watched a guy on you tube shoot the classifier in 59.40 either ESP or SSP..now thats scary fast...
Ben Stoeger from TN. SSP with a Beretta 92.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beF4r_wMtac

·
Registered
3,224 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
IDPA is not expensive as a practical sport, by practical I mean your Normal EDP, with the holster you carry to the Coffee shop, or Publix.

Five or six magazines, good ear muffs, $25.00 electronic models at Wally World, wrap around safety glasses, ball cap, high neck tee shirt, and you are good to go. The Tee shirt? hot brass is not so much fun!

Pro Re-loaders abound, we use 147g 9mm for $200.00 a thousand.

Orlando and Titusville have good matches, fun stages, make for a great Sunday. Two new to IDPA shooters at our match last Sunday, on our stage, but not new to shooting, they did not do so well, but they are hooked! First stage? Heart break City, by the last one, stage #7, they were catching on.

The normal rounds required, 100? 6 or 7 stages, distances to targets, 3 yds to 20 yds, average distances, 7 yds. Oh, and one bit of advice, leave your ego at home! Otherwise some young Lady, or 70 year old will trample on it!

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
The normal rounds required, 100? 6 or 7 stages, distances to targets, 3 yds to 20 yds, average distances, 7 yds. Oh, and one bit of advice, leave your ego at home! Otherwise some young Lady, or 70 year old will trample on it!
1st bold...thats about right...matches hold the number of rounds to 100...i shot an ipsc last weekend and they go about 200...250 if you have as much fun as i do with it...

2nd bold...leaving your ego home is a good idea...there are 80 year old guys who can hardly walk who shoot like theyre on fire in these matches...takes em a while to get the gun out of the holster cause its a long way to reach for it...but when their fingers hit the trigger magic happens....and theres way to much fun happening to let ego get in the way of having a good time...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts