Florida Concealed Carry banner

621 - 640 of 665 Posts

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
‘Mercia!

Looks good. I prefer blue dials, nice piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #622
‘Mercia!

'Murica!

I have also gravitated towards preferring blue dials. This watch has gotten my attention... been drooling over it for a week.

Lume shot:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
‘Mercia!

Agreed.
I'm really liking my Timex Weekender, with the blue dial, grey housing and blue fabric strap.
I've gotten quite a few unsolicited comments about it, but those may have been prompted by the fact that I do not wear a watch very often. And when I do, it's usually a non-descript black & silver one.

Only $44 on Amazon.

I may wear it today! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
'Murica!

I have also gravitated towards preferring blue dials. This watch has gotten my attention... been drooling over it for a week.

View attachment 69574

Lume shot:

View attachment 69572
I own a ladies Ball Watch automatic. It’s called a Lady Fireman. It had a beautiful illuminated dial, and like many of their models, had a fine, bold design. However, I found that Ball Watch had terrible service and customer support. There are some things to consider when buying from this company - the first is that all of their dials use tritium for illumination. I don’t believe this has changed. Like tritium sights, you’ll get a service life of 6 or 7 years maximum. The problem is this - when the tritium goes dark, Ball doesn’t necessarily have new dials that match or even fit your model. That makes a fairly expensive watch into an unsatisfactory item.

Also, if you buy a Ball model with a leather strap instead of metal, Ball does not sell replacement straps. Some of the straps have unique stitching or color schemes, so the unique appearance of the watch is gone once the strap wears out..

My watch had to be sent to their Florida service center, because it couldn’t keep accurate time... Most of their advertising is focused on accuracy.

Beautiful watches, but I‘d never buy another one....

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #626
There are some things to consider when buying from this company - the first is that all of their dials use tritium for illumination. I don’t believe this has changed. Like tritium sights, you’ll get a service life of 6 or 7 years maximum.
Most luminova (glow in the dark) "lume" sucks anyway. Most of it fades very quickly, rendering it useless after a few minutes. Though there are some good ones. At least with Tritium, you've got many years of GOOD "lume."

However, I found that Ball Watch had terrible service and customer support. There are some things to consider when buying from this company
That's disappointing to hear. How long ago was this? I wonder if anything has changed (for the better)?

Reactions: Marilyn

·
Registered
109 Posts
Most luminova (glow in the dark) "lume" sucks anyway. Most of it fades very quickly, rendering it useless after a few minutes. Though there are some good ones. At least with Tritium, you've got many years of GOOD "lume."

That's disappointing to hear. How long ago was this? I wonder if anything has changed (for the better)?
I contacted Ball last year about my dial, and that is when they said they could not replace the dial or change the “lume.” The watch was purchased about 7 years ago. The watch was sent back for service within the first 2 years. They had no replacement straps after 2 years, and I think I called them and asked about a replacement strap after 1 year - none in stock at that time. By the way, my ladies Omega Seamaster has had excellent illumination.. It is about 18 years old. It was a few hundred more, but well worth it...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice watch Racer. The busy graphics is not my thing either but it fits the style of that piece.

I need to find one of these!

I used to have that watch, Lord knows what happened to it but I played pac man in class all day while I had it.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #629
I contacted Ball last year about my dial, and that is when they said they could not replace the dial or change the “lume.” The watch was purchased about 7 years ago. The watch was sent back for service within the first 2 years. They had no replacement straps after 2 years, and I think I called them and asked about a replacement strap after 1 year - none in stock at that time.
Rut-roh. That's not good. And, that sucks. I REALLY like the look of the watch. But, even at ~$1200 - 1400... I want a watch that will work for me for a LONG time. If the lume needed to be swapped out with a dial / hands replacement years down the road, I'd even be cool with that.

But, to be told, "we don't have parts????" Yeah... deal-breaker. Thanks for cluing me in on that. And, your story is recent, soooooo... Dammit. I was really thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #630 (Edited)
I contacted Ball last year about my dial, and that is when they said they could not replace the dial or change the “lume.” The watch was purchased about 7 years ago. The watch was sent back for service within the first 2 years. They had no replacement straps after 2 years, and I think I called them and asked about a replacement strap after 1 year - none in stock at that time. By the way, my ladies Omega Seamaster has had excellent illumination.. It is about 18 years old. It was a few hundred more, but well worth it...
I posted my concerns (based on your story and others) on the blog article comments here.

I got this message back:

I am the after sale manager for BALL Watch SA, your comment has been brought to my attention. I was very glad to read your comments on the Engineer III Pioneer, especially on how much you appreciate the design.

I am only writing a response to your comment to reassure you and rebuke the false information which can sometimes be found online. For more accurate information, I would recommend you enquire with an authorized retailer or service center, we have many across the world. We will gladly answer any questions if you contact us directly as well.

I assure you that we perform tritium services on all our watches in need. If the model is discontinued, we will replace the tritium tubes instead of the complete dial which may extend the servicing time a little but is at the same cost.

Same for the bracelets & straps, we do sell the BALL Watch straps and bracelets. The worn out straps can be replaced of course, and we have a large choice of BALL straps to propose in addition.
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or if you want more information.
[email protected]

It might be worth a shot to contact him, @Marilyn . :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I posted my concerns (based on your story and others) on the blog article comments here.

I got this message back:

I am the after sale manager for BALL Watch SA, your comment has been brought to my attention. I was very glad to read your comments on the Engineer III Pioneer, especially on how much you appreciate the design.

I am only writing a response to your comment to reassure you and rebuke the false information which can sometimes be found online. For more accurate information, I would recommend you enquire with an authorized retailer or service center, we have many across the world. We will gladly answer any questions if you contact us directly as well.

I assure you that we perform tritium services on all our watches in need. If the model is discontinued, we will replace the tritium tubes instead of the complete dial which may extend the servicing time a little but is at the same cost.

Same for the bracelets & straps, we do sell the BALL Watch straps and bracelets. The worn out straps can be replaced of course, and we have a large choice of BALL straps to propose in addition.
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or if you want more information.
[email protected]

It might be worth a shot to contact him, @Marilyn . :)
I see that your contact is apparently from the Swiss HQ of Ball Watch, based on a domain ending in “.ch.” I had contacted Ball Watch USA, the lone authorized importer for the US, and that is where my responses came from. They were the point of contact for service and warranty issues in the US. My watch was discontinued, but I was told that they could not replace the tritium tubes and that they no longer had dials. I was told that I might be able to ship the watch to Switzerland myself, but that it would be quite expensive. The straps were a problem almost right away; neither the dealer or Ball Watch USA could supply one. My dealer was an authorized retailer and still is. For some time, Ball Watch USA was the lone service center in the US. I could contact Lyle to see what he could offer, although at this point the cost will likely greatly exceed the value of the watch, and it is long out of warranty. However, I didn’t provide “false information,” and I am still not inclined to deal with this company again.

By the way, the tritium lumes didn’t last as long as any of my night sights.

If you buy one of their watches, I hope you have better luck than I did....

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #632
I see that your contact is apparently from the Swiss HQ of Ball Watch, based on a domain ending in “.ch.” I had contacted Ball Watch USA, the lone authorized importer for the US, and that is where my responses came from. They were the point of contact for service and warranty issues in the US. My watch was discontinued, but I was told that they could not replace the tritium tubes and that they no longer had dials. I was told that I might be able to ship the watch to Switzerland myself, but that it would be quite expensive. The straps were a problem almost right away; neither the dealer or Ball Watch USA could supply one. My dealer was an authorized retailer and still is. For some time, Ball Watch USA was the lone service center in the US. I could contact Lyle to see what he could offer, although at this point the cost will likely greatly exceed the value of the watch, and it is long out of warranty. However, I didn’t provide “false information,” and I am still not inclined to deal with this company again.

By the way, the tritium lumes didn’t last as long as any of my night sights.

If you buy one of their watches, I hope you have better luck than I did....
Might be worth asking anyway.... just to see what it would cost... if you like the watch otherwise.

I recently got my Breitling fixed up. It cost almost as much to fix it as the watch originally cost. But, here's how I figured it... The watch cost $1200 to buy 20 years ago. It's been discontinued. Examples in good shape command anywhere from about $1200 to $2000 on eBay. The repair estimate was about $1000. Ouch. BUT... if I don't fix it... it's worth NOTHING. And, I can't throw it away. So, it would sit in my safe, continuing to be worthless. BTW, it was a 1st anniversary gift from my wife. OR... I could suck it up and get it fixed with the final value being about "break even" at best. But, I'm not going to sell it. AND, this way I can wear it and enjoy it! Like I did on Tuesday! If I get another 20 year out of it.... worth it. About $50 / year!

Today's watch:

I'm still tempted. The Engineer III Pioneer (shown previously) has really caught my eye. But, I'm not quite ready to spend that much on a watch at the moment, anyway. I think. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Might be worth asking anyway.... just to see what it would cost... if you like the watch otherwise.

I recently got my Breitling fixed up. It cost almost as much to fix it as the watch originally cost. But, here's how I figured it... The watch cost $1200 to buy 20 years ago. It's been discontinued. Examples in good shape command anywhere from about $1200 to $2000 on eBay. The repair estimate was about $1000. Ouch. BUT... if I don't fix it... it's worth NOTHING. And, I can't throw it away. So, it would sit in my safe, continuing to be worthless. BTW, it was a 1st anniversary gift from my wife. OR... I could suck it up and get it fixed with the final value being about "break even" at best. But, I'm not going to sell it. AND, this way I can wear it and enjoy it! Like I did on Tuesday! If I get another 20 year out of it.... worth it. About $50 / year!

View attachment 69586

Today's watch:
View attachment 69587

I'm still tempted. The Engineer III Pioneer (shown previously) has really caught my eye. But, I'm not quite ready to spend that much on a watch at the moment, anyway. I think. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
I see that the international Ball website now lists 4 authorized service centers in the US, and Ball Watch USA is not listed... I have heard of 2 of the service centers, as they also handle other brands. It looks like they have made changes to their service and distribution, definitely something they needed to address.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #634
WOTD: I hadn't worn this one in a while. I think the AWG-100 is another under-rated G-Shock. Very lightweight and comfortable as a "medium" sized G. Analog hands are easy to read. Solar-atomic for $90. Hard to beat!

PS.... I've got a new watch review dropping on the blog tomorrow. The watch being reviewed is the Oceanus T200. I'll post a link when it's up.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Racer that Rolex is a real beauty. Wear with pride my friend. (y)

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #636
Racer that Rolex is a real beauty. Wear with pride my friend. (y)
Thanks. I like it a lot. Wifey chose well! I like it because it's not a commonly seen or recognized Rolex.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I’ve never seen that one before but is sure is a beautiful timepiece. Your wife did a great job. I’d say she’s a keeper. The watch and the wife. 😜

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #638
I’ve never seen that one before but is sure is a beautiful timepiece. Your wife did a great job. I’d say she’s a keeper. The watch and the wife. 😜
It's the platinum / steel Yachtmaster. 16 years old. They still make it... they also have a blue dialed version that is quite stunning. I wouldn't mind having a Daytona. But, Rolex prices have gone NUTS lately with greatly reduced availability. I'm still mulling over that Ball Engineer III Pioneer, though.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I agree on the “nuts” prices. I’ve been looking on Bobwatches.com at used Submariners. God to think I bought one years ago for 5K brand new and returned it a few days later after suffering buyers remorse. I am so pissed at myself every time I see a Rolex. Ahhhhhh! Why...why...why??? 🤬

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
I agree on the “nuts” prices. I’ve been looking on Bobwatches.com at used Submariners. God to think I bought one years ago for 5K brand new and returned it a few days later after suffering buyers remorse. I am so pissed at myself every time I see a Rolex. Ahhhhhh! Why...why...why??? 🤬
Yeah... it's extremely likely that the one Rolex I have will be the only Rolex I'll ever have.

621 - 640 of 665 Posts