Florida Concealed Carry banner

521 - 540 of 578 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Completely agree that it "would’ve made more sense to move the current time to the Dual Time subdial and use the clock hands to register the minutes and hours for the Stopwatch." It's baffling that it doesn't since it does for the Dive Mode timer. Nice catch and another thorough review, sir! (y)(y)

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #522 (Edited)
Completely agree that it "would’ve made more sense to move the current time to the Dual Time subdial and use the clock hands to register the minutes and hours for the Stopwatch." It's baffling that it doesn't since it does for the Dive Mode timer. Nice catch and another thorough review, sir! (y)(y)
Still love the watch! I'm still wearing it. It was fun wearing it for 7 days straight and writing the review.

Back to the "rotation" tomorrow.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Just to put it out there....
Does anybody really use a dive watch (for actual diving) these days? (other than the "once-in-a-while hobbyist")

Back when I was routinely diving, everybody already had computers, and that was 10+ years ago.
As the hobby goes, the "per-minute" cost of bottom time is pretty expensive (though not necessarily expensive as photography or long-distance shooting!) :) So, it definitely makes sense to dive with a computer that calculates actual depth/pressure (i.e., nitrogen absoprtion) over the entire dive, and not simply refer to a static table with max bottom time for your deepest dive.

That said, I am a big fan of all things "waterproof" and not simply "water resistant". :)

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
Does anybody really use a dive watch (for actual diving) these days? (other than the "once-in-a-while hobbyist")

Back when I was routinely diving, everybody already had computers, and that was 10+ years ago.
As the hobby goes, the "per-minute" cost of bottom time is pretty expensive (though not necessarily expensive as photography or long-distance shooting!) :) So, it definitely makes sense to dive with a computer that calculates actual depth/pressure (i.e., nitrogen absoprtion) over the entire dive, and not simply refer to a static table with max bottom time for your deepest dive.

That said, I am a big fan of all things "waterproof" and not simply "water resistant". :)
I was using a dive computer back in 1989, and it was a 2nd generation computer BY THEN. Specifically, I was using the U.S. Divers Monitor 2. Awesome dive computer.

To your point... how many Rolex Submariners and Sea Dwellers wear those dive watches while diving? I'm going to bet almost zero.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts

I wear my dive watch, but use my dive computer

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
I use it mostly as a timer. Reason I prefer divers is because they are robust, water resistant to deeper meters, useable complications, and look badass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: racer88

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I was using a dive computer back in 1989, and it was a 2nd generation computer BY THEN. Specifically, I was using the U.S. Divers Monitor 2. Awesome dive computer.

To your point... how many Rolex Submariners and Sea Dwellers wear those dive watches while diving? I'm going to bet almost zero.
I got certified in 86. Not sure if computers had come out yet but I know I used the standard dive tables and we calculated our bottom time according to the deepest part of the dive. There was also no “safety stop” originally when I went through. That was added years later when I went back for additional specialty courses.

I bought my first dive computer in 95ish in Curacao on a cruise . A few years later after getting Nitrox certified I picked up one of those too.

Prior to that I used to use a dive watch and set the bezel when I went down as well as write the time on the slate that was attached to the dive tables and the “golf“ pencile attached with the rubber tube.

I honestly would not wear my Omega Seamaster, a dive watch, while diving today for fear of losing it. Rather ironic if you think about it. You wear a dive watch for everything but diving. o_O

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
I got certified in 86. Not sure if computers had come out yet
I can tell you with certainty, that I bought my U.S. Divers Monitor 2 between 1988 and 1989. It was one of my first "big purchases" ($800) out of school and in the Navy. It was an excellent bit of kit.

Reactions: joecarry

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I got certified in 83 (PADI AOW), then wreck & night diving circa 96.
My dive computer is the standalone "puck" variety: An Oceanic Prodigy, if memory serves.
I believe it is a 10 or 12 compartment gas monitor, but of course, does not directly calculate for Nitrox.

Racer will love this: My (backup) dive watch back then was an el 'Cheapo Casio! :)

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #530
The review is a big hit. Big bump in traffic to the blog site (according to the owner). 😁

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I can tell you with certainty, that I bought my U.S. Divers Monitor 2 between 1988 and 1989. It was one of my first "big purchases" ($800) out of school and in the Navy. It was an excellent bit of kit.
I know they were crazy expensive when they first came out but I can’t recall when that was actually. I know I coun’t afford one when I first saw them. I think I paid $200.00 for my in Curacao around 95ish. Seemed expensive then...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Oh yeah... been there, done that. She had to get the manager. And, the MANAGER couldn't figure it out! No kidding.
Happened to me at a McDonalds years ago. Manager had to use a pencil & paper to finger it out.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Great review Racer.... I actually had time to finish it today.

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
My Breitling's back and I'm gonna be in trouble....

Got my Colt Ocean Automatic back today. Rolex is still in ICU.

The Colt looks GREAT! Funny, though... it feels and looks so small (after getting used to the giant Casios).

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
That’s a nice looking watch. (y)

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #536
That’s a nice looking watch. (y)
I really like it. It was the "entry level" Breitling. But, I like it more than most of their (far) more expensive models. Wifey-poo did well.

Reactions: joecarry

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Personally, I’d take that over any Rolex (unless gifted one ). Nice piece!

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #538
Personally, I’d take that over any Rolex (unless gifted one ). Nice piece!

I like it a lot. But, man... after wearing ginormous Casios for a few months (and acclimating to them), the Breitling feels puny!

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
I like it a lot. But, man... after wearing ginormous Casios for a few months (and acclimating to them), the Breitling feels puny!
And probably heavier!

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #540
And probably heavier!

Depends on which Casio being compared. Some of them are not so light. But, yeah... the all-metal construction of the Breitling gives it a bit of heft.

I just snapped this photo of the Breitling nestled among the Casios. Giant Frogman to the left. Casio Oceanus to the right.

521 - 540 of 578 Posts