Florida Concealed Carry banner

421 - 440 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
Great shot of the detail on that timepiece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Today was my 2nd day wearing it. I love it. It's super nice. I dare say as nice as my Swiss watches... maybe nicer. Really. Except the bracelet. I'll give the edge to the Swiss on the bracelets.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
First time on the wrist for the 6900 today. I changed out the strap for a more flexible strap (from the GW-5000 model). Fits much better (closer to the wrist) and very comfortable.

These are the softer, more flexible bands made for the GW-5000, which also fit a number of other G-Shocks.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
So, I'm thinking about sending my Rolex in for service, finally. It ain't gonna be cheap, with service on a Yachtmaster STARTING at $750.

There was a thread on the WUS (Watch U Seek) forum about wearing your collection, or keeping your timepieces as safe queens (much like guns!). I've worn my Rolex nearly every day for nearly 20 years.... until it died a few months ago.

Some of the thread posts show watches that have been worn with their scratches and other wounds.

So, I pulled the Rolex out of the safe to take some photos to post on the WUS thread. I knew it had some scratches, but HOLY COW! The photos really show it all!

Not too bad... could use a good cleaning, eh? Platinum bezel has some dings.

Zooming out... that band is looking a bit rough.

Let's flip it over and see 'round back! YIKES!

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Aside from cost,Rolex is a real "service nazi".
They tell you what you must have done and if you disagree,it's their way or the highway.
I have wanted a mechanical oveerhaul,they insist on cosmetic also.
If in NYC,go to their office..have never seen so many potentates in one place.
My 1971 stainless (no date) put me in the "lower class".

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Battle scars are sexy. If it were mine I’d just go with the mechanical service and no polish job (if they allow it, lmao).

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
Battle scars are sexy. If it were mine I’d just go with the mechanical service and no polish job (if they allow it, lmao).

It will be interesting to hear what they say about it. I would think that this degree of scratches would require a level of polishing that would do more damage than good.

But, yeah... I think I want to keep it the way it is, if possible. If I scratch more NOW, it won't bother me in the least. If the watch comes back pristine, I will have to experience the agony of "that first scratch" all over again. 🤣

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Alas, my Rolex Submariner lies at the bottom of the Indian Ocean... Can't afford a replacement at today's astronomical prices.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Alas, my Rolex Submariner lies at the bottom of the Indian Ocean... Can't afford a replacement at today's astronomical prices.
What's the story there??

·
Super Moderator
27,171 Posts
Must have missed that story and that really sucks! Might find one of those Casio watches that are pretty nice for a more affordable timepiece, and likely more reliable with lower maintenance costs.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
It's most likely enclosed in a coral reef of the coast of Mahe in the Seychelles. Long ago, big wave, watchband broke, and saw it fly away as I got tossed and rolled. Searched and searched, but no luck.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
It's most likely enclosed in a coral reef of the coast of Mahe in the Seychelles. Long ago, big wave, watchband broke, and saw it fly away as I got tossed and rolled. Searched and searched, but no luck.
Oh, man! That must have been heartbreaking!

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
My condolences. Years ago I bought a Submariner and then returned it a few days later after suffering major buyer’s remorse. I have way more remorse now every time I think of it for retuning it. They are going for double what I paid. I’m not pissed on the double valued lost, I’m pissed on the fact it will cost me double or more to rebuy someday.

One of my vendors is a big Rolex fan and we were talking the other day about the fear of swimming with one on due to a pin breaking and losing it in the ocean.

In all my scuba diving years I had always hoped to find something like that at the bottom still in great condition. ;)

·
Super Moderator
27,171 Posts
^^^^
Remember new me of a Jeff Foxworthy bit about cheap sunglasses. 😄

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If you want a Rolex and don’t want to pay Rolex prices..... look at the Tudor Submariner. Rolex’s baby brother.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
My 2nd published article on "The Truth About Watches!"

I review the new GA-900, and it ain't all pretty!

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Super Moderator
27,171 Posts
Good article and I for sure won't be buying a GA-900 Casio.(n)

Reactions: racer88

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Oh, man! That must have been heartbreaking!
Yeah, it was. Believe it or not, I bought it from an Indian shop in Victoria, Mahe for the equivalent of $136 U.S. back in the 60's. Price had skyrocketed by the time I lost it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Seeing this post reminded me ...my Seiko solar powered watch stopped....would run for maybe an hour....the old two click sweep hand thing also. I went to YouTube and found I needed to pull out the stem....leave in sun or LED light for 24 hours it would once again fully charge....which it did!!!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Seeing this post reminded me ...my Seiko solar powered watch stopped....would run for maybe an hour....the old two click sweep hand thing also. I went to YouTube and found I needed to pull out the stem....leave in sun or LED light for 24 hours it would once again fully charge....which it did!!!
Cool!

421 - 440 of 472 Posts