Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My daily watch (and anniversary gift from my wife) has been a Rolex Yachtmaster. It's on the fritz again and needs to be serviced. Servicing a Rolex is usually a several hundred dollar affair. I've had the watch for almost 20 years, and with this upcoming service, the running total will probably be around $1,000 for service over the years. It's a bit ridiculous, if you ask me. But, yeah... it's a really nice "timepiece."

Anyway... I thought, "while I delay taking the Rolex in, I need a watch. I'm tired of having to dig out my phone to see what time it is. Let me check out these inexpensive and presumably low-maintenance Casios."

I had no idea of the RABBIT HOLE I would be jumping into! LOL! I spent hours and hours online perusing watches. Long story short, I ordered FOUR of them! With more likely to come! They're like the Baskin Robbins of watches... like Spyderco is with folding knives. So many flavors! And, all of them are good! To borrow from Lay's chips... you can't have just one.

I'm generally attracted to the analog / digital models. With 57 year old eyes... analogs are easy and quick to read.

The first watch (which arrived yesterday) is a G-Shock "G-Steel" GSTS300G-1A1. As the name implies, the case is made of steel instead of resin.

I liked the "black out" look. I'm generally averse to the colorful ostentatious designs of many of the G-shocks. And, the black-out version looks great. But, one thing I've quickly learned.. the reverse / negative LCD sub-dials are small and hard to read. Indoors, I can't read them without my glasses on at all. Outdoors in direct sunlight I can read them. So, I will likely stick with positive (dark numbers / letters on light background) for future purchases.

The GSTS300 series is considered a "mid-size" G-shock. I'm not a big guy (7" wrist), and I was concerned about the size of some of the G-shocks. Some of them are HUGE. But, yeah... I know the trend for watches is "bigger is better" these days. I don't think this watch is "too big" on me, but it's bigger than I've been used to.

After I ordered the GSTS 300, I started looking around some more. Hoo-boy... mistake!? I've since ordered 2 more G-shocks (less expensive models) and a Casio Pro Trek watch, too. You think the G-shocks are cool?!? The Pro Trek series is some cool sh*t, too! The one I ordered isn't a "cheap" watch, at about $300. But, I can't wait for it to arrive! Monday! The digital display in this one is of the "positive" variety and is easier to read. Here's a stock photo of it:

I like that Casio's watches are rugged / reliable and relatively inexpensive (though some special models can go into the thousands!). But for $70 - $300, you can get a really nice watch with all kinds of nifty features like digital compass, barometer, altimeter, thermometer, multiple alarms, world time, timer, stopwatch, etc. In JUST the G-shock series, there are over 300 models to choose from! Then there's the Pro Trek series, the "Edifice" (fancy dress watches) series, and others.

But, two of the coolest features on many of the models are the solar power and atomic time sync. So, no batteries to change, and once it's synced with the atomic clock radio signal (around the world), the time is always perfectly correct.

Anyway... new toys are always fun. I have a feeling this will be my new "collectibles" passion. Crap!

Anyone else suffer from this affliction?

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I have that exact G-Steel!

Now you’re diving into my realm. I have a watch addiction same as my wife’s shoe and purse addiction. And it’s an expensive addition. :ROFLMAO: My favorites are Citizen, Seiko and Casio. I do have a Tag I cherish. I even have a few pocket watches and a Mickey Mouse watch (Stop laughing, it’s a Citizen)

Those G-Shocks are bulletproof. They’re the Swiss Army knife of watches.

I’m like you, I can read analog faster than digital. (y)

Happy shopping and enjoy your tumble down that rabbit hole.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before I got the Rolex... and I still have them... a Breitliing Colt Ocean and a Tag Heuer Formula 1 (one of the cheap ones)... neither of which have worked in years. I should get them all fixed up. I'll post photos later.

But, dayumm... Casio makes some cool and fun stuff.... and priced so that you can own more than one or two or three... or four... or.... o_O 💩

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Nice watch, Racer - and it's got that all-black "Special-Ops" look and feel to it too. Looks sharp!
I'm a big fan of G-Shock watches also - Indestructible, and inexpensive enough to replace if you do manage to kill one.

My current collection (which I still wear) includes the following:
And of these, the Swiss Army Cavalry and the Timex Weekender (blue fabric band) are my current favorites.
A couple of these are solar-powered but none have the fancy atomic clock set capability.
I've owned the Cavalry watch so long I think I've changed the battery 5 or 6 times by now, and gone through several bands.
(I actually own two of the Swiss Army Cavalry watches - misplaced one, and then found it a week or two after it's replacement arrived!)

And note the non-reliance on "digital". It's just too hard on my eyes, plus I prefer an analog time representation - since that's what it is. :)

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice collection, Anduril! But, I don't know about that "Tiffany blue" one! :whistle:

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Hi Racer (et al); I have a Rolex Submariner (no day-date) that a bought in Switzerland in 1971 for $175US$.
I love it but the overhaul cost ($500-$600) is outrageous. Rolex does the overhaul only one way....everything they say is needed or nothing.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
I’ve had a titanium Citizen Eco-drive (light-rechargeable) one for several years now, and it’s held up very well. I like the idea of never having to replace the battery, and it charges well under indoor lights too.

Before that, I had an old titanium Seiko from way back in the days when they were good watches. I wore it daily for over 25 years, until I somehow lost it.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Someone say “G-Shock”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,610 Posts
Reactions: frgood and YARDDOG

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I wear an Omega Seamaster for my daily work wear as I’m a “respectable” suit and tie guy! 😝. I also a have an Apple Series 5 that I wear the rest of the time. In all honesty, that apply watch is the real James Bond watch imho. It can do so much with the apps. i’ve taken to installing smart light switches from Wemo and Philips Hue lt bulbs. I love controling all this from my watch and phone. I’m growing my smart home, which is argueably smarter then me. I will also note that prior to both of these, my daily wearer for like almost 25 years was a G-Shock watch. Those things are bulletproof. I still have one in the safe and I think it’s still running.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In all honesty, that apply watch is the real James Bond watch imho. It can do so much with the apps.
If you like, enjoy! But, man... I cannot bring myself to like the "smart watches," either apple or android... I have an android phone. The notion of having ANOTHER thing to charge every night is the first turn-off. Secondly, I just don't like the way they look.... a blank black screen (until you look at it). I don't know... just the whole concept. I don't know what the current crop of apple watches look like, but I dare say the originals were the least "manly" watch. They were very "delicate" looking... effeminate... especially the bracelet part.

But, in the end... I also don't think I have any use for the functions of smart watches. I don't use my phone much for it's "smart" features. I do 99% of my social media on a laptop, for example.

But, different strokes for different folks. I'm having fun with my Casio kick!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
No worries but for what it’s worth, the series 5 watches and maybe 4, I’m not sure on that one, have the ability to show the screen always like a normal watch or only when you raise you arm. I like it to only when you raise your arm, but that’s just me. It was originally set to always... I didn’t like that as emails and texts get forwarded to that from my phone, which I do like, but not always to be scene.

The functionality to me is outstanding. To be fair, I originally never would have bought one of these and I didn’t. I won my first one and it was free, a series 1 or 2, not sure anymore. Since it was free and I’m an apple guy, I played with it and was surprisingly impressed with it’s functionabilities. I since bought a series 4 when I had a bunch of heart complications and failures. I upgraded to the series 5 earlier this year for the ecg function, again I had had heart issues and was overly concerned and like to monitor the ecg and heart rate a lot.

Today, I use it every night for my sleep app and to see what I’m doing. I also have the heart functions and the apple home kit, and the reminders I use every day. Not to mention the temperature and work emails from Outlook and the date and time....

Beauty of this watch is I can scroll to the left and right of the watch face and and get a different ”face” which I have different “complications” programmed for that face. So I have one for day time and one for night time and one for a second day time.

Again, the functionality of this is awesome if your into that sort of thing.

I’m slowly autimating my home into a “smart home” but will leave out any security items like locks... I don’t care if someone hacks me and gets my lights or someday my t-stat.... that is an overly nice feature as I’m finding out more and more every day as i go along. I wake up and hit the apple home kit icon and turn on all the different house lights on it while still in bed. May not seem like much but that is cool. YMMV.

I will say the technology is impressive but I guess not for everyone.

Best of luck in whatever you go with. (y)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I only have 2, a ladies Tag Heuer Aquaracer and an Apple series 3. Ditched the original band on the Apple watch almost as soon as I got it.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Although I own and rarely wear the Casio, I prefer an automatic time piece. Those “smart” watches and digital ones have no soul. But, that’s just me.

On the other hand if I need a “ go to war” watch, hands down the G-Shock is the one I’d choose.

One of my Holy Grails is a Sea Master or Speed Master. Not far behind is a Navitimer with a blue dial.

Reactions: racer88

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Here are stock photos of my watches. The daily wear is usually the Omega Seamaster, followed by the Tag Heuer Calibre 16 Chronograph Day/Date. Unlike the picture, I changed the brown strap for black alligator. They range from 15 years old to 2 years old. I keep them in mint condition and in working order. People always think they are new. I bother my friends that refer to their Apple watches as a watch. I tell them, no, they have a pedometer on their wrist, but I prefer a true time-piece. I’ve owned a few Rolex watches, but I always found them to be lacking in their ability to keep accurate time, so I sold them.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Although I own and rarely wear the Casio, I prefer an automatic time piece. Those “smart” watches and digital ones have no soul. But, that’s just me.

On the other hand if I need a “ go to war” watch, hands down the G-Shock is the one I’d choose.

One of my Holy Grails is a Sea Master or Speed Master. Not far behind is a Navitimer with a blue dial.

Not even this one? 😁
TAG HEUER CONNECTED Accessoire 45 mm | TAG Heuer

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I have a Citizen Eco Drive myself. Wife got it for me when we got married. It’s my favorite watch for obvious reasons. No batteries, no winding. Just wear.

I do have an Apple Watch series 4. I only wear it at work. You can indiscreetly glance at incoming calls and texts during a meeting without pulling out the phone, which is typically considered rude. :LOL: But otherwise I too hate having yet one more thing to charge all the time and they’re not attractive IMHO. But unfortunately the Apple Watch is just about the only smart watch thats fully functional with an iPhone. I wouldn’t mind the Tag smart watch. I just like Tag. There’s other watches I’d rather spend on though.

Never owned a Rolex. I like them a lot. I’m just not made of that kind of money. I can buy several Casios or Seiko and have money left to buy the wife a purse or some shoes. :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
26,610 Posts
When I was active duty, I had a self-winding SEIKO dive watch that I wore for years, I really wanted and was saving up for a Breitling Navitimer. However, as I got older, I decided I just couldn't put that much money on my wrist and abandoned the Navitimer idea. Actually stopped wearing a watch altogether in 2014 and loved being on "island time" as they say, although I used the cell phone whenever I needed the time. However, when I moved back home and started a job that for security reasons, prevented me from keeping any kind of smart device with me, I found I needed a timepiece because having to rely on a wall clock or the time on the computer screen was annoying. So I broke down and I got a Casio G-SHOCK GG-1000 MUDMASTER that does the job. Those G-SHOCK watches are nearly bullet-proof! 🤠

1 - 20 of 239 Posts