Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread isn't so much about my gun, but about that moment when you realize that you really really love the gun you chose.

I took my first tactical class last night, and realized for the first time that my gun felt like an extension of me, not some weird extra object I had to maneuver to do what I wanted. I've tried other guns I really liked, and tried a couple more last night (Glock 26, Kimber Pro Carry), but they just don't have that feel for me. I was using my M&P 9c, and shot really well, though the setting and tasks were new to me, and I now know what I need to work on (speed at distances!). At the end of the class, I realized that I wasn't really thinking about the gun at all (if that makes sense), but about the task as a whole; the gun was just a part of it, and the gun was part of me. I know it's a newbie realization, but it was really exhilarating to get it for the first time. I can't wait to get back to the range and practice new skills.

Also, there's something to be said for quick field stripping and easy cleaning to add to that "I love my gun" feeling. The Kimber Pro Carry someone was using broke during the class and I had my Wilson KZ-45 with me so I let her borrow it for the remainder. I love shooting that gun, but am dreading cleaning it today, and find myself not wanting to put as many rounds through it. I don't mind cleaning my M&P at all. In fact, I like it (treating my baby well). I also found, with an instructor's help, that this is a pretty easy gun to conceal, even for a woman carrying OWB, and can access it quickly and smoothly (I had it at a wrong angle when I was complaining in an earlier thread....oooops), making me like it even more.

Anyway, I just wanted to share, and maybe hear others' stories. I know I can't be the first one to think/feel this way.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
...I had it at a wrong angle when I was complaining in an earlier thread....oooops), making me like it even more.

Anyway, I just wanted to share, and maybe hear others' stories. I know I can't be the first one to think/feel this way.
Thanks for sharing. When you say you had it at the "wrong angle" can you elaborate on that? Does you holster have a cant to it or not?

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Wow sounds like you had a great time nice report, I am also looking into an M&P 9c I fired my cousins full size and it handles great felt really nice light felt right in the hand.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Great report Boomana. I think what your feeling is a combination of a great gun that you don't have to worry about and doing a task with it so your no longer concentrating on target shooting but an overall exercise with the gun. Since I've only done target shooting I can't say I've got that "one with the gun feeling" as yet even though I know my Glock inside and out. If I had to give up My Glock an M&P would be my next choice.

Was your tactical class held locally in Palm Beach? If so would you mind sharing with us who teaches it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
If I had to give up My Glock an M&P would be my next choice.
My Cousin has a Glock 19 and a 26 also an M&P 9 service he told me he would never get rid of them. I like the M&P I do like the glocks but grips to wide very light too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing. When you say you had it at the "wrong angle" can you elaborate on that? Does you holster have a cant to it or not?
I have three holsters for the M&P; one IWB has an adjustable cant, which needed a more forward cant than I was using. I ended up not using it last night, though, as I need to get some bigger pants :). The holster I ended up liking, which I didn't like before, is a Mitch Rosen OWB I picked up used. It also needed adjusting, moving it slightly forward from where I'd been wearing it, but the real adjusting was with the jeans I'd been wearing. Turns out I can only wear it with certain jeans (women's jeans have more variable waists rises than men's), but with the pair I had on last night, it just hugged my hips, was concealable, and so comfy I didn't notice it when I was walking around. I was blaming the holsters, but the clothes were the real problem. I still think I'm going to need more than one holster, which will be cheaper than a whole new wardrobe, and maybe more than one carry gun.

Was your tactical class held locally in Palm Beach? If so would you mind sharing with us who teaches it. Thanks.

Yes, in Delray. It was a basic class, but informative and fun. Since I'm a new shooter, I decided to take a couple private lessons with the instructor who taught my CWL class, and liked his teaching, so signed up for this class. There were two instructors, three students (two who had signed up came in too late to join), so got a lot of attention. Here's their website:

http://www.floridafirearmstraining.com/Home_Page.html

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Yes, in Delray. It was a basic class, but informative and fun. Since I'm a new shooter, I decided to take a couple private lessons with the instructor who taught my CWL class, and liked his teaching, so signed up for this class. There were two instructors, three students (two who had signed up came in too late to join), so got a lot of attention. Here's their website:

http://www.floridafirearmstraining.com/Home_Page.html
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's true, sadly, but I think, that we tend to enter upon most great and serious new undertakings fairly uninformed. How many among us have REALLY researched handguns (in particular) before making that first purchase? I know I didn't so am therefore, perhaps, 'extending' my experience to all.

Initially I wanted a 9mm pistol so I bought one. Then, after a while, I realized I hadn't REALLY researched the matter all that well or in depth. When I did, I realized I had bought the wrong gun for my purposes. And, as those purposes evolved, I realized I still didn't have the 'right' gun.

It has taken me over two years and four handguns to settle upon the 'right' one. And even that may be a 'work in progress'. Perhaps that's part of the fun of it all. :)

Have a day. Bang Gunley

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It's true, sadly, but I think, that we tend to enter upon most great and serious new undertakings fairly uninformed. How many among us have REALLY researched handguns (in particular) before making that first purchase? I know I didn't so am therefore, perhaps, 'extending' my experience to all.
Actually, I did quite a bit of research, and was lucky to be able to shoot and handle different guns. But I'm a geek, and proud of it.

-JT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts