Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I messed up with my Bergara B14 Hunter rifle when I was installing the action back into the stock. I over torqued the rear guard screw and stripped the head. Since the action is Remington 700 based I ordered a rem 700 screw from Numrich and am hoping it is the same length. However, I am worried that a screw extractor might mess things up as it might not have enough bite to overcome the torque.

This might be a gunsmith repair but, I am open to any ideas before I spend money I do not have. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Do you have a picture of what you are dealing with?

Is it #11 in this diagram?

You might be able to "weld" another screw or nut to the head of the stripped screw with a dab of epoxy. Let it cure and try backing it out. You may also try a better screwdriver and apply a lot of downward force to the screw. There may be enough grip at the bottom of the slot to get that screw out. If you go the drill and extractor way try a left-handed bit. Sometimes that will catch the screw and it will spin out. Go Slooooooow.

·
Registered
14,701 Posts
I messed up with my Bergara B14 Hunter rifle when I was installing the action back into the stock. I over torqued the rear guard screw and stripped the head. Since the action is Remington 700 based I ordered a rem 700 screw from Numrich and am hoping it is the same length. However, I am worried that a screw extractor might mess things up as it might not have enough bite to overcome the torque.

This might be a gunsmith repair but, I am open to any ideas before I spend money I do not have. Any ideas?
Call me. 1-561-715-7198

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it is part number 11.

I was considering trying an impact hex bit (if they exist) to back it out before I drill out the head and use a screw extractor. If I can do it and only damage the bolt, I'd be happy.

bttbbob, I will call you later this morning. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
For the next time" The fat wrench" could prevent next time from happening it comes with a list of common inch pound settings. I have one it comes in handy 50$ well spent.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got some good advice talking to Bob yesterday. I will get to it this weekend and am very hopeful.
  1. Slightly bevel a hex driver and pound it into the screw till it 'bites'.
  2. If #1 fails,
    1. I'll block the rifle up on my drill press and carefully drill the head out
    2. grab the exposed bolt with a pair of vise grips and screw out.
Fingers crossed but, this seems reasonable and doable.

·
Super Moderator
30,988 Posts
Good luck! :unsure:

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Oh boy! That B14 is toast, trash, unusable, non-repairable…ect. I’ll give you $50 for it.

Seriously, hope you get it sorted out. Mine just sits in the safe since all this ammo shortage crap started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts