Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I'm SW and new to the forum. Moved to Parkland about 5 years ago from VA. I was really into shooting about 15 years ago, got my VA CHP, and took multiple courses at NRAHQ including skills for draw, target acquisition, and shooting on the move. I rarely carried as it IWB wasn't very comfortable and I never felt I could conceal the G21 except in winter. I recently took my daughter to learn to shoot at the range (Gun World) and caught the bug again. Got out about 500 rds to brush the rust off, signed up for tor the CCW class (my application status is approved so I'm just waiting for it in the mail now), and now am signed up for the Advanced carry class. Test drove and bought a G19 after seeing how much 45ACP costs compared to 9mm. Looking forward to getting some more training and have been enjoying browsing all of the new holster options that have come out in the last 15 years. I'm interested in more advanced training and also investigating any clubs / competition. I've always been intrigued by IDPA and some of the 3-gun action I've seen videos of but never actually been to or shot in competition.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Welcome from Jacksonville.

Reactions: swats

·
Super Moderator
31,669 Posts
Howdy, I'm SW and new to the forum. Moved to Parkland about 5 years ago from VA. I was really into shooting about 15 years ago, got my VA CHP, and took multiple courses at NRAHQ including skills for draw, target acquisition, and shooting on the move. I rarely carried as it IWB wasn't very comfortable and I never felt I could conceal the G21 except in winter. I recently took my daughter to learn to shoot at the range (Gun World) and caught the bug again. Got out about 500 rds to brush the rust off, signed up for tor the CCW class (my application status is approved so I'm just waiting for it in the mail now), and now am signed up for the Advanced carry class. Test drove and bought a G19 after seeing how much 45ACP costs compared to 9mm. Looking forward to getting some more training and have been enjoying browsing all of the new holster options that have come out in the last 15 years. I'm interested in more advanced training and also investigating any clubs / competition. I've always been intrigued by IDPA and some of the 3-gun action I've seen videos of but never actually been to or shot in competition.
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, swats! 🍻

I'm not far from Gun World and have shot there a few times but usually stay away from indoor ranges.

I'm partial to PantherConcealment.com kydex holsters (have 6 or 7 for three different EDCs in .45 ACP and 9mm) or Ronin Leather Holsters, LLC for leather (I have two of his rigs for two different EDCs, a .45 1911 rig and a 9mm P229 rig). Jim Kay of Panther Concealment is Florida based (Jacksonville), a veteran, and a member of FCC. Dave Galloway is now based in Utah, but was formerly Florida based when his company was called LittleBear Custom Holsters. No doubt members will be along to mention their favorite leather holsters, too.

If you're a veteran, take a look at our Military Service Thread where you'll find many of us there, too!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Also, I highly recommend you read this thread to understand how to navigate FCC to get the most out of your experience. One particular item that's caught many veteran FCC members off guard is the "Recommended Reading" at the bottom of each page, which MAY contain quite old threads of inactive conversations lacking up-to-date information or context. So beware of the date of the last post (just to the right of the post number) in any thread you come across so you don't mistakenly think every post is recent and start responding to very old posts/threads that been dormant for quite some time, sometimes for many years.

Again, welcome to FCC and good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Welcome from Lakeland FL, check out Andrews custom leather the Hibird saddle is the perfect fit for me OWB a glock 21SF or 1911 commander size . I have 2 that are about 12 years old and still look new after carring 24/7 365. good luck.

·
Super Moderator
31,669 Posts
Meant to mention both Andrews Custom Leather and for decent "off-the-shelf" leather, there's Miami based 1791 Gunleather. A few members here have 1791 holsters.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
You're in the right place. Welcome!

·
Registered
13,622 Posts
Welcome from Naples. Where in Va? My son just retired from Fairfax co. PD and I lived in N Va. for many years. :)

·
Registered
13,622 Posts
I was in Fairfax county, Centreville area. While I lived there I did the FCPD's Citizen's Police Academy way way back. FCPD were professionals!
Yes,they were. Unfortunately the current Chief has gone totally “woke”. Many veteran Officers with enough time in are retiring. Its a real shame. We lived in Vienna, BTW. (y)

·
Super Moderator
31,669 Posts
Much of Fairfax, Louden, and Alexandria counties, as were the DPRofMD counties surrounding D.C. even before I left for home in So. FL in 2017, we're all virtually on the leading edge of what turned out to be a stronghold of "wokeness," although we just called them Uber liberals ruled by emotion rather fact and reason at the time. I was never so happy than to see that area in my rearview mirror for good in OCT 2017. SCROOM!

Reactions: Rick McC.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts