Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. Funk is a firearms instructor and all-round gun enthusiast here in Ohio. He puts out a variety of videos, with a decent-sized following, on lots of gun-related topics. I typically don't watch them all the way through because of the whole four-minute-attention-span-on-the-internet thing I usually have going on. This one, however, he hit out of the park. I don't know him personally and have never trained with him. That said, he nailed some key points for me, both as a student of the gun and as an instructor. Well worth the watch, whichever category you fall under, IMO.

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Mr. Funk is a firearms instructor and all-round gun enthusiast here in Ohio. He puts out a variety of videos, with a decent-sized following, on lots of gun-related topics. I typically don't watch them all the way through because of the whole four-minute-attention-span-on-the-internet thing I usually have going on. This one, however, he hit out of the park. I don't know him personally and have never trained with him. That said, he nailed some key points for me, both as a student of the gun and as an instructor. Well worth the watch, whichever category you fall under, IMO.

Imma stop you right now. Anyone that touts Dave Grossman as an instructor has never had decent instructor training. This is a guy that does not vet his instructors.
Dave Grossman, and yeah I know him. He is a violent encounter researcher, with zero violent encounter experience. He is a psychologist not a self defense or gun instructor.
He is a prime example of my vetting process. World renown? Yes. heavily paid based on his books, videos and touring? Yes. Highly sought after by those less experienced? Yes. Actual use of self defense? None. A curriculum called Killology? Yes. Actually killed anyone? Nope.

Thia is a prime example of vetting.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imma stop you right now. Anyone that touts Dave Grossman as an instructor has never had decent instructor training. This is a guy that does not vet his instructors.
Dave Grossman, and yeah I know him. He is a violent encounter researcher, with zero violent encounter experience. He is a psychologist not a self defense or gun instructor.
He is a prime example of my vetting process. World renown? Yes. heavily paid based on his books, videos and touring? Yes. Highly sought after by those less experienced? Yes. Actual use of self defense? None. A curriculum called Killology? Yes. Actually killed anyone? Nope.

Thia is a prime example of vetting.
I've attended Colonel Grossman's Bulletproof seminar, and have read several of his books. In fact, I recommend his stuff to anyone whose areas of interests venture into the realms that he researches and instructs on.

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
The four F’s of combat trauma have been taught to US servicemen since WWII in both In Basic Infantry training and Advanced Infantry training.
And I would contest SLA Marshall didn’t have a clue when he claimed a low hit ration in WWII. At least Marshall had combat experience on Makin Island to base his hypothesis. His research is still in questioned by many. Maybe due to Korea and RVN not in time yet.
The hit ration in WWII was higher than Vietnam drastically. Not unlike the LEO hit ratio with revolvers switched out for semi autos. In WWII hit ratios were 40,000 rounds to kill 1 enemy soldier. In RVN it was 64,000 rounds. When carrying revolvers police hit ratios were 68% vs 18% when carrying semi autos (FBI statistics). When you have capacity and speed, you tend to rely on superior firepower to put shots on target. As opposed to shot placement knowing you will have to reload. A main reason the new M-4’s has 3 round burst and not full auto.
In my courses on combat shooting, we discuss the psychology and physiology of a gunfight.
Marshall’s claim and Grossmans are that only 20% of soldiers or infantrymen actually fire in combat. I contend that is BS. A well trained unit will have less than 5% that don’t engage. The amount of pressure after the fight, from those that live would blow those that did not engage out of the unit. Think of this. You are fighting for your life and the guy next to you won’t fire back.
Yeah, I question and vet everyone that I would learn from.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The four F’s of combat trauma have been taught to US servicemen since WWII in both In Basic Infantry training and Advanced Infantry training.
And I would contest SLA Marshall didn’t have a clue when he claimed a low hit ration in WWII. At least Marshall had combat experience on Makin Island to base his hypothesis. His research is still in questioned by many. Maybe due to Korea and RVN not in time yet.
The hit ration in WWII was higher than Vietnam drastically. Not unlike the LEO hit ratio with revolvers switched out for semi autos. In WWII hit ratios were 40,000 rounds to kill 1 enemy soldier. In RVN it was 64,000 rounds. When carrying revolvers police hit ratios were 68% vs 18% when carrying semi autos (FBI statistics). When you have capacity and speed, you tend to rely on superior firepower to put shots on target. As opposed to shot placement knowing you will have to reload. A main reason the new M-4’s has 3 round burst and not full auto.
In my courses on combat shooting, we discuss the psychology and physiology of a gunfight.
Marshall’s claim and Grossmans are that only 20% of soldiers or infantrymen actually fire in combat. I contend that is BS. A well trained unit will have less than 5% that don’t engage. The amount of pressure after the fight, from those that live would blow those that did not engage out of the unit. Think of this. You are fighting for your life and the guy next to you won’t fire back.
Yeah, I question and vet everyone that I would learn from.
Let's come back in from the weeds and discuss the main talking points of Howard's video.

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Let's come back in from the weeds and discuss the main talking points of Howard's video.
I was specific not only about the video but also about the researcher.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was specific not only about the video but also about the researcher.
Mr. Funk's talking points on not sucking as an instructor, at least as it applies to me:

Don't make the presentation all about me;

Don't make it my way or the highway;

Don't come off like a drill instructor.

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Mr. Funk's talking points on not sucking as an instructor, at least as it applies to me:

Don't make the presentation all about me;

Don't make it my way or the highway;

Don't come off like a drill instructor.
I would agree with some of that. There is no one way. Presentation is about what the student can absorb. There are many ways, mine is only one.

Reactions: mike1956

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would agree with some of that. There is no one way. Presentation is about what the student can absorb. There are many ways, mine is only one.
I agree with all of it, which seldom happens. That's why I posted his video.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I just saw him with my favorite pistol. Steyr 9mm. He was at 7 yards and couldnt hit the broad side of the barn, “must be the sights need adjusting, not used to the triangle, not used to the angle”…….i think i got them all. Well at 7 yards i can throw baseballs better then that. If it was his sites off he would still be hitting to the left a group. None couldnt do that….just admit you arent a sharpshooter and move on……it was new out of the box and after drifting the sights he still couldnt get a good group…..for some strange reason he went to 15 yards and was worse……..Mr Funk flunked………:sneaky:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just saw him with my favorite pistol. Steyr 9mm. He was at 7 yards and couldnt hit the broad side of the barn, “must be the sights need adjusting, not used to the triangle, not used to the angle”…….i think i got them all. Well at 7 yards i can throw baseballs better then that. If it was his sites off he would still be hitting to the left a group. None couldnt do that….just admit you arent a sharpshooter and move on……it was new out of the box and after drifting the sights he still couldnt get a good group…..for some strange reason he went to 15 yards and was worse……..Mr Funk flunked………:sneaky:
Another vote for trashing an instructor. Thanks for weighing in.

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Another vote for trashing an instructor. Thanks for weighing in.
With a title How not to Suck as a firearms instructor?
Lmfao.
As a firearms instructor always expect criticism of technique, curriculum and presentation. It comes with the territory. Expect to defend any position you have regarding everything you teach or opine.
Some instructors set themselves up for trashing as in they don’t know enough to stay in their lane.

·
Registered
56,816 Posts
HR Funk isn't a firearms instructor, he's a you tuber with a channel. He's got a video up about how to never lose a gun fight.

Ya, I've got a bridge to sell in the Sonoran too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
HR Funk isn't a firearms instructor, he's a you tuber with a channel. He's got a video up about how to never lose a gun fight.

And a lot of them are YouTubers. When it comes to the actual technical part of firearms training a lot are seriously lacking.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With a title How not to Suck as a firearms instructor?
Lmfao.
As a firearms instructor always expect criticism of technique, curriculum and presentation. It comes with the territory. Expect to defend any position you have regarding everything you teach or opine.
Some instructors set themselves up for trashing as in they don’t know enough to stay in their lane.
Actually, I was referring to the Grossman assessment.

So, nobody liked the video I linked. Hey, it happens.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I tried to find some training references for him since he is local to me. So far, nothing.

He's apparently a retired LEO from a smaller Ohio town.

I still like some of the key points he hit on in the video. He puts up quite a few 24-minute numbers over on the other forum. My areas of interest and attention span being what they are, this is the first one I actually watched.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts