Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, this is just one way...

I've been going to the same hairdresser for about ten years +/-. It will come as no surprise to those who know me that I do not open up and share all with a hairdresser. Nope, not me. She does not know any secrets. I go there to get my hair done.

Anyway, a couple of years ago something must have happened because the conversation turned to firearms. I sounded her out with a few questions and decided to 'go there' with her. She was receptive so we talked a bit. I did tell her then that I carried concealed. She had some genuine questions and that was that. Fast forward to today. Toward the end of the appointment the Orlando terrorist attack was mentioned. I told her that I don't go to gay bars because it's illegal for me to go. She paused and then remembered that I carried. I said it in that way in order to open the dialogue. She asked me if it is because you can't take guns to a bar. Exactly. She asked me where else it was illegal. I named a few places and then told her that it was not illegal to carry in a bank. I let that sink in. I told her I could go to a restaurant, but I could not legally sit at the bar in a restaurant if I was carrying. I could see her mind trying to make sense of it.

I reminded her that the many recent mass shootings happened at places where guns are not allowed. I told her that people like me who carry cannot stop a shooter because we will either avoid places altogether or if we had to frequent no gun zones we will leave it in the car because we are actually law abiding gun owners. I just wanted to get her thinking and to point out that mass shootings happen when people like me are not carrying concealed.

Right when I was leaving I asked her if she could tell if I was carrying. Nope. Look closely. Which side is it on? I don't know. I moved my shirt to show her the outline. She said she couldn't tell. I lifted my outer shirt and showed her what it looked like in the IWB holster. She said she thought it would be a little gun. She had no idea the gun was so big. haha Glock 19. She saw how easy it was to conceal a gun. I told her that she should go to the range with me. I told her she would have fun.

Now over the next few months until I go back she will think about it. That's how women process things. I planted a seed. I left the seed alone. She will grow it if she is indeed interested in learning more. I may get her to the range after all.

Baby steps. Sometimes over a few years. Baby steps.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
:thumsup

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Of course, this is just one way...

I've been going to the same hairdresser for about ten years +/-. It will come as no surprise to those who know me that I do not open up and share all with a hairdresser. Nope, not me. She does not know any secrets. I go there to get my hair done.

Anyway, a couple of years ago something must have happened because the conversation turned to firearms. I sounded her out with a few questions and decided to 'go there' with her. She was receptive so we talked a bit. I did tell her then that I carried concealed. She had some genuine questions and that was that. Fast forward to today. Toward the end of the appointment the Orlando terrorist attack was mentioned. I told her that I don't go to gay bars because it's illegal for me to go. She paused and then remembered that I carried. I said it in that way in order to open the dialogue. She asked me if it is because you can't take guns to a bar. Exactly. She asked me where else it was illegal. I named a few places and then told her that it was not illegal to carry in a bank. I let that sink in. I told her I could go to a restaurant, but I could not legally sit at the bar in a restaurant if I was carrying. I could see her mind trying to make sense of it.

I reminded her that the many recent mass shootings happened at places where guns are not allowed. I told her that people like me who carry cannot stop a shooter because we will either avoid places altogether or if we had to frequent no gun zones we will leave it in the car because we are actually law abiding gun owners. I just wanted to get her thinking and to point out that mass shootings happen when people like me are not carrying concealed.

Right when I was leaving I asked her if she could tell if I was carrying. Nope. Look closely. Which side is it on? I don't know. I moved my shirt to show her the outline. She said she couldn't tell. I lifted my outer shirt and showed her what it looked like in the IWB holster. She said she thought it would be a little gun. She had no idea the gun was so big. haha Glock 19. She saw how easy it was to conceal a gun. I told her that she should go to the range with me. I told her she would have fun.

Now over the next few months until I go back she will think about it. That's how women process things. I planted a seed. I left the seed alone. She will grow it if she is indeed interested in learning more. I may get her to the range after all.

Baby steps. Sometimes over a few years. Baby steps.
Substitute "family" for "lady" above, and that would be similar to the experience I had just yesterday. I was invited to a gathering of family, on my mother's side, at the house of one of my 1st cousins. Several on that side were there, including my "soon to be" 87 y/o aunt (Mom's older sister and the family matriarch). I had thought that, with the exception of a different 1st cousin (the host's younger brother), most on that side were "anti" and on the liberal side. I can say with good comfort that the "younger brother" is far more pro-2A and owns more "inventory" than many on this forum! :aarg

My 1st clue that I was wrong about the others was what was on the TV when I arrived... Lo & Behold, it was FNC! I would have thought the liberal MSM. My cousin (the host) exclaimed, "Oh yeah, we like Fox!" She (host) was ready to change it for me but told her, "No, I like it also." The conversation turned to all the stuff and the staff on FNC, etc. Hmmmm....

Next clue was when I had sat down with the younger 1st cousin and the host's husband. BTW, that younger cousin lives in, of all places, the DPRMD (Get down here soon BH :grin). How he can maintain that inventory up there, let alone use it, is a mystery to me. Anyway, he and I got to talking, and the host's husband joined in. Wow, he pitched right in, keeping right in step with our conversation. Turns out he wants his own FL CWFL and wants his wife (the host & my 1st cousin) to have one as well. The conversation went on for a good hour so about all kinds of 2A stuff, particularly "justifiable use of deadly force" and how to handle LE in re: "traffic stops," etc. He desperately wants me to go up there and "blow some smoke" as he says. It might be a while before I can, and I would have to use some of his inventory 'cause I ain't bringin' any of mine up thee.

But yeah, it's funny how things can migrate like that. BTW, speaking of "introducing to a lady," for the last year that I was living in the PRNJ, I was mentoring my niece and nephew (she'll turn 20 in two weeks, and he, 17 in Sept.). I can't believe how accurate she is with my Para Expert 1911 (.45 acp), far more so than my Ruger 22/45 light or even my P226. She's deadly with that thing. And we're talking maybe 5'0" and a buck 05 soaking wet.

·
Registered
14,995 Posts
Good job. If someone is somewhat receptive I too try to reason and teach. But at the first hint of anti, I go into full get the hell out of my face mode. My sunny disposition is waning lately

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
Nice job, MamaBear... and great thread, too! :2thumsup

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
Will be down soon, FfNJGTFO! Family move starts this Sunday. Oldest boy and I return back to work on fixing the house up to sell or rent, and then he'll be down full time in September. I should hopefully be transitioned south full time by October, but permanent employment in South Florida may affect that timeline a little. Still working on that one!

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
:thumsup Excellent post MamaBear! Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on the upcoming move to FL BeerHunter! October sounds great, but if it takes much longer, you may want to rethink doing a move here "in season". Get settled in here before the invasion of all the snowbirds.

·
Super Moderator
6,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FfNJGTFO, excellent post. I can remember waaaaaaay back right after high school my best friend and I decided we needed to register to vote. We went down and concluded we needed to be a democrat or republican. She didn't have a clue and neither did I - begging for forgiveness from my high school history teachers that we were so ignorant at the time. Anyway, I told her that I thought my parents were democrats so we registered. Whoa. Not only has none of my family ever been registered democrats they have always voted conservative - back when you actually could. I'm probably the only one in the family who has ever been registered a democrat although I am certainly the most ultra conservative one of the bunch. Don't think they didn't get a good laugh at me at the time. I've long since changed after one election. Just goes to show you never really know until you sit and have a conversation with someone.

Every summer when I go back to Alabama a few of us have gone out in mom's back yard to shoot. My now grown and married nephew has joined us and looks forward every year for our shootfest. After many years of this his mom (my sister) decided she wanted to try it. I never said a word to her or asked her to join us. She just watched long enough that she wanted to see what it was all about. She is still not on board but she talks about it. Nice start.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
FfNJGTFO, excellent post. I can remember waaaaaaay back right after high school my best friend and I decided we needed to register to vote. We went down and concluded we needed to be a democrat or republican. She didn't have a clue and neither did I - begging for forgiveness from my high school history teachers that we were so ignorant at the time. Anyway, I told her that I thought my parents were democrats so we registered. Whoa. Not only has none of my family ever been registered democrats they have always voted conservative - back when you actually could. I'm probably the only one in the family who has ever been registered a democrat although I am certainly the most ultra conservative one of the bunch. Don't think they didn't get a good laugh at me at the time. I've long since changed after one election. Just goes to show you never really know until you sit and have a conversation with someone.

Every summer when I go back to Alabama a few of us have gone out in mom's back yard to shoot. My now grown and married nephew has joined us and looks forward every year for our shootfest. After many years of this his mom (my sister) decided she wanted to try it. I never said a word to her or asked her to join us. She just watched long enough that she wanted to see what it was all about. She is still not on board but she talks about it. Nice start.
When I bought my townhouse up in the PRNJ some 25 years ago (which I sold in July, 2015 to move here), I registered as Republican, because I lived in a place where there was absolutely not a single viable democratic candidate in a primary election (the only place where it mattered). It made no sense not to register otherwise than "Republican." So I registered Republican such that I could influence the primary election and knowing I could go either way in the general election.

Now, here in FL, I register Republican because I want to. :thumsup

And yeah, I can't wait to get my niece and nephew down here to go to the range.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Great story, one I'm going to internalize. Plant the seed and let it be. There's scriptural basis for that as well. I think it should work far better than getting into heated debate which only seems to further entrench positions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts