Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much training should the State of Florida require before issuing a CCW? Lets hear your thoughts...

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
How much training should the State of Florida require before issuing a CCW? Lets hear your thoughts...
How much should the State Require?

None, zero, zilch, zip, nada.

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Can't count below zero and mean....none.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You really want to stir things up by putting this out again. Hopefully the discussion will continue on in a kindly manner.
To answer your question with my opinion, and my opinion only, enough training to keep someone from hurting themself or some other innocent party with a firearm and when or when not to use it. State Required, Nope! Nada! None!

Next
:popcorn

ebl

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Bingo. Name any other Constitutional Right that requires some form of training before you can excersize it. If the 1st Amendment requires some amount of prerequisite training, then the CNN and MSNBC guru's would have to be booted off the air. Why would the 2nd Amendment be any different?

Beers y'all,
Ken

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
I think people should have training before they can carry concealed. But I don't think the State should require it. Its a Constitutional right and doesn't carry any training requirements.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Boy, that topic will start a fight! Is a concern, way back when most had rifles and hunted. Most were probably proficient with their muzzle loaders. If the state won't require our LEO's to be great shots, doubt we will be looked at. Wonder how many of the 786,000 CWL holders actually train or even shoot their weapon occasionally? All should train as we are law abiding citizens responsible for our safety and our family's safety. Further, our bullets don't know we missed and they are looking for a home.
Paradox but we need less government, not more. Each of us should naturally feel responsible for our actions.

·
Banned
300 Posts
NONE!

But then again, I really don't think it should be illegal to . . .allow nature to take it's course, either.

Seriously, not that that was not serious, I think that I am probably in the minority in this view but none the less, I feel very strongly that for someone who carries a gun seeking out ongoing professional training is a moral matter. Not ever in the history of government, ANY government, has it been possible to successfully legislate morality.

OK. I'll shut up now before I really start a "fight" . . :deadhorse

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Boy, that topic will start a fight! Is a concern, way back when most had rifles and hunted. Most were probably proficient with their muzzle loaders. If the state won't require our LEO's to be great shots, doubt we will be looked at. Wonder how many of the 786,000 CWL holders actually train or even shoot their weapon occasionally? All should train as we are law abiding citizens responsible for our safety and our family's safety. Further, our bullets don't know we missed and they are looking for a home.
Paradox but we need less government, not more. Each of us should naturally feel responsible for our actions.
Perfectly stated, Franklin!

Beers y'all,
Ken

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
NONE!

But then again, I really don't think it should be illegal to . . .allow nature to take it's course, either.

Seriously, not that that was not serious, I think that I am probably in the minority in this view but none the less, I feel very strongly that for someone who carries a gun seeking out ongoing professional training is a moral matter. Not ever in the history of government, ANY government, has it been possible to successfully legislate morality.

OK. I'll shut up now before I really start a "fight" . . :deadhorse
Don't see anything there that should start a fight....most in this thread seem to agree with you....myself included.

·
Banned
8,392 Posts

·
Banned
300 Posts
Don't see anything there that should start a fight....most in this thread seem to agree with you....myself included.
It has been my observation that the vast majority of people carrying guns have no training beyond their (often) four hour gun show class, and don't make any plausible attempt to gain any more than that. Ever.

I . . . hesitate, to irritate the majority. Runs contrary to my survival instinct. :rofl

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Bingo. Name any other Constitutional Right that requires some form of training before you can excersize it. If the 1st Amendment requires some amount of prerequisite training, then the CNN and MSNBC guru's would have to be booted off the air. Why would the 2nd Amendment be any different?

Beers y'all,
Ken
Well, speaking of the First Amendment...doesn't it provide for Freedome of Expression? As we not expressing our needs to carry firearms in a non verbal manner hence the actual act of carrying a firearm is also covered under the First? There's a stretch from my 10PM thinking.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
It has been my observation that the vast majority of people carrying guns have no training beyond their (often) four hour gun show class, and don't make any plausible attempt to gain any more than that. Ever.

I . . . hesitate, to irritate the majority. Runs contrary to my survival instinct. :rofl
You are quite correct....probably no more than 1% of the folks that obtain a CWFL go on to take any further training beyond what they did for the license (whatever form that may have taken).

I don't worry about irritating the majority...I know I'm better trained than 'they' are! :grin

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just a quick, off the cuff, look at firearm death rates ... not very scientific since there may, or may not, be other mitigating factors as well, but it seems to me that firearm related deaths in a state with "government regulation" (Florida) is not very different from the rate in states with "constitutional carry". Vermont is better, the other three are a bit worse.

Firearm deaths/1000
Vermont - 8.1
Alaska - 17.8
Arizona - 15.1
Wyoming - 15.0

Florida - 12.2

(Notes: Age-adjusted rates per 100,000 U.S. standard population. Populations used for computing death rates are postcensal estimates based on the 2000 census estimated as of July 1, 2007. Since death rates are affected by the population composition of a given area, age-adjusted death rates should be used for comparisons between areas because they control for differences in population composition. Data are for 2007.)

What part of "SHALL NOT be infringed" is hard to understand? What compelling reason is there to violate the constitutional rights of the people?

Commit a crime with a firearm? - that should bring on BIG punishment! ... that's fine. I've no problem with punishing people who "do wrong", but denying law-abiding people of their constitutional right to protect themselves and their families ... that is wrong.

Those who can carry responsibly will be fine, those who choose not to learn how to carry responsibly will suffer the consequences of their immaturity.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts