Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Your hand to hand skills with a number two pencil are so widely known some call you “eraser”
Unfortunately, Wick used a #4 pencil not a #2 pencil for the movie. #2 being too soft and prone to breaking off before proper penetration was achieved [ through trial and error, of course ] :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It has been a long time. Karate as a kid. Plenty of fistfights growing up a redhead with a mouth on me and two older sisters. High school I was a standout wrestler and then coached two years after high school. Nothing formal since then.

About the last time I tested my h2h skills was some 15 years ago. My old neighbor, stocky Irish guy, and I were playing pool in my basement in January in Chicago and had a few too many. He had several times said he was a wrestler in high school, and the dynamic was always kinda like he was a bigger man than me. Nice dude and good friend, don’t get me wrong. We decided to go outback and do first to three take downs. It was not even close, he wasn’t in the same league as me. First pass was an armbar toss, took him from his feet to his back. Second was a classic single leg conversion to double and third was an armbar and spun him down onto his knees.

I gotta figure I’d try some stuff I knew when I was young (training takes over, it did with my neighbor) and probably be my own worst enemy. I could easily see my back going out or just crumpling in pain because I’m not as flexible and young as I used to be.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Some beginner Krav Maga with Andy, Barbie and others; one 2 day Brownie class with members of this forum; and around 9 hours one-on-one with Brownie at his home in AZ. That was probably equivalent to at least a week of training in a group setting. Absolutely the opportunity of a lifetime for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,625 Posts
Hand to hand in the Corps, rhe bars in Olongopo, and 3 marriages..

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
I have trained formally in Aikido for ten years in my younger days. During that time we did a lot of H2H, knife, weapon, and gun defenses. It was a great time in my life and I learned a great deal. I believe that training was crucial to my overall SD defense tactics to date.

Am I satisfied, no. Absolutely not. I’ve been looking for additional training in other arts, ground fighting and standing fighting that Aikido hasn’t addressed? Yes I know I have a lot of short falls in my overall training. I also have health limitations as life happens that apply to me. Sucks for me I know, but that’s often how life is. I no longer have the lung/fighting capacity to have a prolonged encounter. I’ve got maybe thirty seconds for an all out effort before I fatigue out. I know this and work this into my strategy. If I have to have an event, I know I have to go full out at %110 percent if I am to be successful for less then 30 seconds. Hopefully I’m successful, maybe I’m not. I know that if I need to engage and take out an opponent I have just a few seconds or else I’m done for. That’s my personal situation.

You and I had a similar discussion on this last November. We discussed this at length that night.

We can never have too much training in any endeavor.

YMMV.

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have trained formally in Aikido for ten years in my younger days. During that time we did a lot of H2H, knife, weapon, and gun defenses. It was a great time in my life and I learned a great deal. I believe that training was crucial to my overall SD defense tactics to date.

Am I satisfied, no. Absolutely not. I’ve been looking for additional training in other arts, ground fighting and standing fighting that Aikido hasn’t addressed? Yes I know I have a lot of short falls in my overall training. I also have health limitations as life happens that apply to me. Sucks for me I know, but that’s often how life is. I no longer have the lung/fighting capacity to have a prolonged encounter. I’ve got maybe thirty seconds for an all out effort before I fatigue out. I know this and work this into my strategy. If I have to have an event, I know I have to go full out at %110 percent if I am to be successful for less then 30 seconds. Hopefully I’m successful, maybe I’m not. I know that if I need to engage and take out an opponent I have just a few seconds or else I’m done for. That’s my personal situation.

You and I had a similar discussion on this last November. We discussed this at length that night.

We can never have too much training in any endeavor.

YMMV.
You and I were on the same page on so many levels in that discussion. You've been trained in soft styles, same here etc. In my case, I'm 70, I may have 30 seconds full on. Nah, you can stick a fork in me as I'm done if I don't get it over with in 5-10 seconds max.

You mentioned strategies changed? Mine have as well. I'm not going to dance. I'm going to circumvent any prolonged engagement that involves h2h/scuffling or I'm gonna run out of steam and lose. It suggests I will resort to very specific few skills that will get the desired affect, which is leave me alone.

I have an advantage of sorts. I look old and vulnerable. If someone believes that tomorrow, they're about 5-8 years too soon ;)

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
This is been a great discussion. I trained many years ago as several have also indicated. I taught unarmed defense that I think they’re now calling officer safety techniques but it has been a long time.

I think the best lesson taken from this thread is that you need to maintain two or three relatively instant techniques that you know by heart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
wrestling is the most useful martial art ive taken classes in, by far. if you cant wrestle you might not be able to get to your handgun in the first place!

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
wrestling is the most useful martial art ive taken classes in, by far. if you cant wrestle you might not be able to get to your handgun in the first place!
That's one possibility. Another might be if you can't or don't know how to fight you might not be able to get to your handgun. Wrestling skills does give you ground work, and many altercations end up on the ground.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts