Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
58,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based off this thread Wall of Edge

How many carry a folder with potential SD in mind?

If you carry a folder with SD in mind, have you taken any defensive edged weapons courses?

Make and model of folder you carry if you carry one?

I carry 2, sometimes 3 blades on my person. If not carrying the bowie, the spyderco endura is the SD folder clipped to the side of my leg [ carhartt pants ] and an SAK hiker for chores.

· Registered
7,908 Posts
I’ve carried one identical to this since the early 90’s or so. Emerson Benchmade CQC7. Yes it is intended for SD if needed and I don’t use it for other purposes. I’ve had SD training with knives both defensively and offensively. I also carry a Swiss Army knife for utility purposes and or a Leatherman Wave.
Rectangle Composite material Everyday carry Electric blue Fashion accessory
Rectangle Composite material Watch accessory Everyday carry Electric blue

· Administrator
32,986 Posts

If you carry a folder with SD in mind, have you taken any defensive edged weapons courses?

I carry 2, sometimes 3 blades on my person. If not carrying the bowie, the spyderco endura is the SD folder clipped to the side of my leg [ carhartt pants ] and an SAK hiker for chores.
Always carry two folders, SD folder in weak-side front pocket is either a Benchmade Griptilian or sometimes the Kershaw Speedsafe given me by my colleagues at my retirement from DoD. Those blades don't get used for anything else and are kept sharp. I also carry a less expensive folder very similar to the Griptilian in my strong-side front pocket for utility work, but it could also be employed SD blade.

As you know, I've taken at least three or four different defensive Edged Weapon/H2H courses from you, where I first learned to "Swat the Bug" and the "Wall of Edge," among several other Edged Weapon/H2H skills. However, I've not practiced those skills nearly enough lately!

Now that I'm retired and no longer working in a DoD facility, I've gotten back into the habit of carrying a Strongman fixed blade, as well.

· Registered
16,106 Posts
Usually a Buck 110 in an open belt sheath for whatever. Some days a Griptillian or an Endura. As time goes on, I prefer the Buck in an open top canted sheath

· Registered
6,025 Posts
Kershaw Launch 6

Knife Kitchen utensil Blade Tool Utility knife

Honed and stropped at 22.5°

Keep it for utility and any shaving needs that might come up during the day. 😊

· Registered
8,248 Posts
Buck 119
I have always considered folders to be broken knives. That said, if a folder in on me, it’s this Kershaw. I have some blade training(recent), want to pursue a more advanced blade skill set.
Grey Material property Tool Everyday carry Font

Attachments

· Registered
16,967 Posts
I carry two knives... a SAK and a single-blade folder... lately an OTF MicroTech. Both are intended as utility blades for mostly opening packages.... or in an emergency a stuck seat belt (never happened yet).

I have no edged weapons training. As I see it now... if it has come down to me defending myself with one of my blades, things have gone very badly.

· Registered
228 Posts

I carry an old school Buck folding hunter. I use it for all sorts of things. From a SD perspective, it can weight the fist, as long as you hold it correctly.

I haven't done any knife SD training after I left the service.

· Registered
10,700 Posts
I currently carry a broke Medford Knife and Tool, and I’ve been carrying it for the last year; but I just ordered an Emerson Commander today.

Tool Tints and shades Everyday carry Font Wood

Tool Sports equipment Automotive exterior Everyday carry Hunting knife

Edit: That is a Proxima model.

The training I’ve had so far is two weekend courses of your h2h and blade training.

· Registered
5,276 Posts
I carry a Honey Badger Ultratek (top one on the pic) in the front pocket strong side. Weak side front pocket is usually a Gryptillian or sometimes the Kershaw Speedsafe shown in the center in the pic below. In my back strong side pocket is a CRKT Ripple that took me a couple months of tweaking to get it to where it would open in complete silence. No "snick" sound when it opens.
Vertebrate Knife Material property Blade Hunting knife

What do I use them for? The way I view knives is they are strictly a defensive tool whose purpose is to get a threat off me or away from me. I do not view them as offensive weapons because I think staying around to engage in a knife fight is a losing proposition right from the start. Even if you prevail, the chance of serious injury is just too high.

I haven't taken a knife course per se, but I've taken a couple Krav Maga courses that included defending against a knife and using a knife in defense. Much of that technique involves other dynamics and focuses on very rapidly switching from defense to strong offense. Good stuff, but honestly if you aren't at the gym a couple times a week or more keeping those skills sharp, they're not of much use. For someone like me who doesn't have time to devote to it, it means I understand the basics but I really have no business relying on that as a good means of SD.

So, the way I see it is, a knife's purpose is to counter a threat by causing as much damage and making it hurt as much as possible for a potential attacker. That's one reason why I want my Ripple to open silently, because I don't want to advertise that an incoming punch or a grab to the throat is going to cost that person a good quantity of spilled blood and maybe, hopefully, give them pause to consider just how easy a target I am - or am not. I'm really not interested in going all Krav Maga on them to the point of their submission, I'm more interested in stalling them or opening distance that allows me to GTFO, because in a knife fight, that's where I want to be - away from it.

· Registered
15,072 Posts

Me and Carry one of two. One a Dewalt flip blade. The other a SOG flip blade that matches my SOG automatic. And I use them for self defense, gutting and cleaning deer and hogs, cleaning my fingernails, toenails and just all around jobs.
The most diverse tools in my EDC.

· Registered
153 Posts
I carry a Kershaw Blur on me at all times. It's mostly for everyday practical uses and in case of SD. I have not taken any SD courses for knives. I used various handheld weapons year ago when I studied Goju-Ryu but I'm rusty AF. I'd be open to taking edged weapons classes. Learn something new in case I need my blade for more than cardboard boxes. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts