Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still new to conceal carry and do so with a Taurus PT111 inside the waist band witha Galco holster. This works out good most of the time but there are some occasions where it does not. Many of you guys talk about pocket carry and I have been thinking about it. My concerns about pocket carry is that I don't think you can draw from your pocket as fast as you would from the waist. Am I wrong. If decided to do this is better to carry in the front pocket or a cargo pants pocket.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Greetings Yardman! Pocket carry is quite quick. Perhaps even more important is the ability for you to have a full grip on your weapon while it is still in your pocket, fully concealed.

I favor the Smith & Wesson .38 in the "Centennial" configuration, which has a fully enclosed hammer so that there is nothing to snag when you draw.

Perhaps the only thing I would look out for if and when you decide to pocket carry is that you purchase pants and shorts that have deep pockets. If the pocket is too shallow, the pocket holster can ride up and you could have a problem when you fold your legs, or sit in a deep chair.

Here is a pic on the S&W442 Centennial model along with a pic of the Desantis Nemesis holster that i use.

Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps even more important is the ability for you to have a full grip on your weapon while it is still in your pocket, fully concealed.
This is why I come to this forum. To learn. I never thought about the fact that you can just stand ther with your hands in your pocket already gripping your weapon and still remain concealed (very sneaky :D). Also I have never seen a revolver without an exposed hammer. I'll look into it because I'll need one for the pocket. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
If it's any help, the 442 (pictured above) and the 642 which is the same only in the stainless finish can be purchased for around $380. online. If you would like any contact information for very reputable people I have used, just let me know.

By the way, that gun is only 15 oz., which is only 3 oz. heavier than the much more expensive scandium framed revolvers that list over $1000., so you get a lot of revolver for your money and the little added weight just makes for a slightly lighter felt recoil. 38 +P ammo is no problem.

Another thing about these revolvers is that when you get them, they have a pretty stiff trigger pull, but don't worry, after a 1000+ pulls it gets much smoother, although it has a real long double action pull that is very safe for concealed carry. It is very unlikely that you can accidentally pull this trigger and fire the weapon unless you fully intend to.

Good luck!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I used to carry a Kel-Tec P3AT in my hip pocket. This type of carry can be slower to the draw... but it was the difference between carrying and not. I figured it better to have a slower to retreive "mouse" gun than a .45 in my center console...in the parking lot...

Again...this is where situational awareness becomes more critical.

A caveat to this type of carry. We were in an Ocala restaurant...the kind with the vinyl covered padded chairs...and there were a couple of policemen nearby..eating their dinner, minding their own business as I was as well. It was a buffet type restaurant and when I got out of my chair to get some more food...I happened to look down as I courteously went to push my chair back in and noticed to my surprise...a perfect rendition of my P3AT...impressed into the vinyl...:eek: (I would imagine there was a perfect rendition in the other soft material...of the other side of the gun as well...but since I don't wear lead underwear...I'm pretty sure no one saw that one at all... ;) )

I have to admit...I think I was flush with embarrassment as I looked around to see if anyone noticed...especially the nearby officers...but alas...like all good sheep...not a single person noticed...even when I showed my 16 yo what I was looking at and we had a private laugh...:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I carry a S&W 340CT in a Mika pocket holster.
It is a hammerless revolver in .357 and is extremely light weight.
It is very similar to the 442 mentioned by FLRon and also fires .38 and its' variations.
I reiterate the point about being able to have your hand on the weapon while it is still in your pocket.
Oftimes one senses a possible threatening situation and you can immediately put your hand in your pocket and onto your weapon, while maintaining a high level of situational awareness.
That is not something you can do with IWB or OWB.
I carry in my front strong side pocket everyday, everywhere, and in every type of clothing.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
yep going to get a pocket holster for the taurus M85 UL well let my wife carry my PT111 when i borrow hers lol shes starting to like mine more now scarry huh?:rolf oh by the way yardman i use the comptac pro undercover IWB you may want to check that out very comfortable

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
Greetings Yardman! Pocket carry is quite quick. Perhaps even more important is the ability for you to have a full grip on your weapon while it is still in your pocket, fully concealed.

Perhaps the only thing I would look out for if and when you decide to pocket carry is that you purchase pants and shorts that have deep pockets. If the pocket is too shallow, the pocket holster can ride up and you could have a problem when you fold your legs, or sit in a deep chair.
+1 :thumsup

I carry a Kahr P9 and a Kel-Tec P3AT in DeSantis Nemesis pocket holsters, and I can draw them just as fast as a hip holster with the right pants/shorts. And as FLRon said, the ability to have your gun in hand before drawing it is a tremendous advantage.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
BudsGunShop.com has about as good a price as anyone and a lot better than most. If you're looking for a hammerless 38, Charter Arms makes the least expensive I know of at $289. delivered. Not as pretty as a S&W but very reliable and at 16 oz. pretty light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my everyday carry. A Kel-Tec P11 in a Mitch Rosen pocket holster. It'll fit in any rf pocket of my work shorts, blue jean shorts, or regular blue jeans. It's impossible to tell there is a gun in my pocket with this setup. And I have 11 rounds of 9mm at my disposal.

·
653 Posts
I am new to conceal carry myself and still getting used to the idea of carrying. I have a couple of full size guns a Para P14 45 and a S&W 40SVE both too big to CC. I only have a little pee shooter for now for front pocket carry. I am looking for a nice 9mm for CC. The way the economy is going I may have to hold on that. I think my wife wants me to pay the mortgage instead. But I am still looking. Today I had to enter the bank to do some transactions. I parked my truck and tried to pull the gun out of my pants to put in the arm rest while I entered the bank. OK, I found out that keeping it in your pocket while in the car is not a good idea. I had to unfasten the seatbelt, and struggle with the gun to get it out. I have to make sure I take it out of the front pants pocket and put it in the armrest when ever I enter the car. Live and learn. Here is my little Beretta Jetfire 25acp in a pocket holster I had made here in Florida for me by RKBA Leather & Holsters.

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
OK, I found out that keeping it in your pocket while in the car is not a good idea. I had to unfasten the seatbelt, and struggle with the gun to get it out.

Try carrying it in your back pocket.

Brownie

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pocket Carry

I tried several methods and finally settlted on a "sticky holster" from e-bay. It's a neoprene type material that helps mask the outline of the gun, but stays in your pocket when you draw the weapon.

·
653 Posts
Thanks Brownie, since your post I have been carrying in my back pocket and it is much more comfortable and easier to draw.

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
There ya go, happy to assist sir.:drinks

I carried an NAA 22mag in the back pocket today, secondary to the G21sf with two spare mags. I don't like front pocket carry for jeans, and when sitting in a vehicle, it's almost impossible to get to the gun in any reasonable time to use it should you need it. Back pocket is easier to get to while seated.

It can be used more effectively used should someone stick something in your face and demand your wallet. "Sure thing, just don't hurt me [ as he reaches slowly for the wallet ], then produces a firearm, takes a step offline and shoots the perp to the ground.:thumsup

Brownie

·
Registered
64 Posts
S&W 642 Pocket Carry

Having been through a range of CCW weapons (Beretta, Colt, Bersa,...). I now (consistently) carry a S&W 642 in my pocket.

The beauty of this is that while I try to be very aware and avoid bad situations, I can enter any place (that is legal) with my hand in my pocket and on my gun - WHAT A FEELING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This works for any clothing/weather situation as long as I don't wear tight pants like Levis, then I have to go to an SOB (Small of Back) holster and cover it with a shirt. BUT, I prefer the pocket holster.

It also serves as a backup when I wear my Colt 45 in a shoulder holster.

It did take a while (and some $$$$$$$$$$$$$), but I now know what and how to carry.

:dancingbanana

1 - 20 of 21 Posts