Florida Concealed Carry banner

How common is this?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  dcook22 
#1 ·
I saw this thread at the high road forums.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=429141

This guy was shooting at 25 yards. That's 75 feet away. Am I missing something? I can do that kind of shooting at about 12 - 15 feet. At 25 feet I'm pretty good, but pushing it a bit. 75 feet? And this guy claims there are guys doing this at 40 yards (120 feet). Am I nuts, or just a really bad shot compared to these guys?

Dan

#2 ·
I would have to see it to believe it in rapid fire mode at 75 feet, but I am sure it can be done. Target loads probably

#3 ·
Dude, I'm kind of like you.
At 75 feet, i could not even see the difference between the white lines and the black background, so i could not even see the bullseye or where it was at.
The indoor range i go to says their range is 50 feet, they have lines painted at 15 feet and 20 feet, they claim that is the most likely maximum distance that you would ever have to defend yourself from. If the bad guy was any further away than that, then most likely you could get away. I kind of agree with them.
So i practice at 20 feet.
The only thing i could see at 50 feet was the head, so one time i tried from that distance and put every bullet in his head, most of them was around where the eyes would be.:thumsup I was aiming between the eyes. So i was satsified with that accuracy. I figgered he was dead, and that is the best outcome i could think of if i had to shoot from that distance.
If i could put that kind of accuracy at 75 feet, i would be happy as hell.:rolf

#4 · (Edited)
One mans rapid fire is another mans slow fire.

Rapid fire to me means 4-5 rounds a second. This guy thinks his "rapid fire" is about one shot every 1.5 to 2 seconds.:rolf

That's bulls-eye slow fire shooting, not rapid fire. That group isn't bad, but slow fire at 25 yrds, he should be able to keep them about half that size.

Brownie

#5 ·
back when I was in college on the pistol team, rapid was 10 second for 10 rounds.

And I would regularly hit a 12 inch plate at 100 yards with a pistol.

I cannot do that now, but younger eyes and shooting a box of ammo minimum a day will do wonders to your skill set.

#6 ·
I cannot do that now, but younger eyes and shooting a box of ammo minimum a day will do wonders to your skill set.

+1 what he said.

This middle age stuff is getting aggravating. :D

#8 · (Edited)
Paladin;17821 [B said:
This middle age stuff is getting aggravating[/B]. :D
Hush Up, Paladin!

Dan, at that distance, with the times the shooter is quoting (1.5-2 seconds/shot), that grouping is good, but far from exemplary. It's all about trigger control.

We shoot 8" diameter steel plates from that distance and a little further. We do it for speed, and the guys I shoot with don't miss them often. I don't shoot paper at that distance very often because I'm a lazy : censored. The plate racks have a rope to reset them! :D

If I do shoot paper at that distance or beyond, I don't shoot enough rounds to wear a ragged hole like that. As long as I'm keeping them in the 8" circle, I'm happy as can be.

Don't worry about what other folks are doing. Brownie's been shooting since before blue was a color!

Do your own thing, and try to improve a little each time out. Have a goal for your sessions and don't just see how much lead you can sling downrange.:drinks

#9 ·
As long as I'm keeping them in the 8" circle, I'm happy as can be.

That's a mantra to live by right there at any distance.

With regular sights you would hit a 12 inch plate a football field away?

It can be done, but that is excellent handhold and trigger control.

We shoot 8" diameter steel plates from that distance and a little further

I've never shot plate racks at 25 yds for speed myself, the plate rack competitions were always at 33 feet [ 11 yrds ]. That's some very good handhold/trigger control practice on plates at 75 feet Rvrctyrngr.

Have a goal for your sessions and don't just see how much lead you can sling downrange.

Unless the goal is to see how much lead you can sling :rolf

Brownie

#10 ·
As long as I'm keeping them in the 8" circle, I'm happy as can be.

That's a mantra to live by right there at any distance.
I agree. When I go to an indoor range, I use a sheet of paper with either an 8" cirlcle or 6" square as a target...cheap, too!

We shoot 8" diameter steel plates from that distance and a little further

I've never shot plate racks at 25 yds for speed myself, the plate rack competitions were always at 33 feet [ 11 yrds ]. That's some very good handhold/trigger control practice on plates at 75 feet Rvrctyrngr.
"Speed" is relative, Brownie! :D Like I said, I'm a lazy :censored.

The 8" plates closely simulate the 8" downzero area of an IDPA target. Helps me to work on transitions and first-shot sight acquisition at distance without having to chase/change targets all the : censored time! I'm slow in the sense that I don't 'see' things very quickly any longer, and this helps me a lot. You can get a lot of quality practice in using the steel in a short period of time, and receive instant feedback as well. :drinks

#12 ·
Rvrctyrngr,

The plates I have used for over 20 years stand at the same height as a normal human torso and are the size of a -1 scoring ring on an IDPA target [ 12" wide x18" long with the corners cut off ]..

I normally shoot them from 3 feet [ from the draw hip shooting ] out to 50 feet with one and two handed Quick Kill.

Sounds like your 8" down zero.

Brownie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.