Florida Concealed Carry banner

241 - 260 of 262 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,980 Posts
Decided to try my hand at curing meat. Used a technique from AmazingRibs.com for Canadian bacon and it turned out well.

After putting the cure together, I cured this loin for 10 days. I’m told you only need three days but that 10 to 14 days works best.

I use the Slow n Sear for my Weber to smoke meats. Works really well. Can usually get 225 to 250 degrees. I also smoked a small butt using Butt Rub but that’s not done yet.

The Canadian Bacon needs to hit 145 degrees before you pull it.

I let it rest for a bit.

And ready for breakfasts. I vacuum sealed the sliced bacon in 1/2 pound bags and have a bag ready for the week.

It turned out really well. Can’t wait to try curing belly bacon.

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
Ummm, bacon! (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Wow, very impressive! Dad was obsessed with country ham.

My late father once tried to make his own “country ham” when I was a toddler. According to the story, he had hams hanging everywhere in the utility room, Mother said. He rubbed them lovingly with stuff, re-attached the burlap and bragged on his recipe passed down from his family.

Mom said at one point the flies and maggots infiltrated the plan to the point you could not step in the room without a cloth over your nose. They had to make a desperate ham-haul to the dump while gagging, leading a trail of angry flies.

I salute your success. I’m genetically doomed for such.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Went to Crystal River with a friend who’s interested in learning to dive. Picked up my tank and a couple other things.
Stopped by Seafood Sellers for some crawfish and gator mac n cheese

·
Super Moderator
5,980 Posts
The recipe isn’t difficult. Just mixing the cure and making sure the meat stays submerged.

Since I had the smoker going, I also smoked a small shoulder.

Just used Butt Rub on it.

Made some nice sandwiches. The bark is pretty good too.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Wow, very impressive! Dad was obsessed with country ham.

My late father once tried to make his own “country ham” when I was a toddler. According to the story, he had hams hanging everywhere in the utility room, Mother said. He rubbed them lovingly with stuff, re-attached the burlap and bragged on his recipe passed down from his family.

Mom said at one point the flies and maggots infiltrated the plan to the point you could not step in the room without a cloth over your nose. They had to make a desperate ham-haul to the dump while gagging, leading a trail of angry flies.

I salute your success. I’m genetically doomed for such.
As a young fellow, I can remember when going out to eat, that when ordering ham, you were asked to specify if you wanted “country, or sugar cured.”

I tried country ham one time; it was very salty, and tasted more than half rotten to me.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Well, decision time, friends. I’ve been in isolation so long without a haircut I’m starting to look worse than the Unibomber. Almost to the point of that booking photo of Nick Nolte.

My wife wants to trim my hair. It needs it, but I saw what she did trimming my Mini Schnauzer some time ago.

The dog clippers have guards, maybe just a complete basic-training buzz.

Anyone face the same issue?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Well, decision time, friends. I’ve been in isolation so long without a haircut I’m starting to look worse than the Unibomber. Almost to the point of that booking photo of Nick Nolte.

My wife wants to trim my hair. It needs it, but I saw what she did trimming my Mini Schnauzer some time ago.

I got Mrs. Fish to trim my hair with a beard trimmer. It has length spacers and my buzz cut came out pretty nice. Wife likes it and it takes me back to July 1966! :)

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts

I realized very quickly that having a shaved head for the last 6 years has it's advantages!

However, when my youngest son expressed his frustration at not being able to get his now very out of control mop of hair cut, he didn't take my offer of trying to trim it for him with my trimmer, saying, "No Dad, I think I'll wait for the place I usually get my hair cut to be back open." That was a few weeks ago. Then when it was announced that PBC hair salons could reopen, he said to his mom, "Mom, I really want a hair cut, but I don't think I want to be the first in line after they've not been able to cut hair for 2 months!" That kid is wicked smart! :D

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I realized very quickly that having a shaved head for the last 6 years has it's advantages!

However, when my youngest son expressed his frustration at not being able to get his now very out of control mop of hair cut, he didn't take my offer of trying to trim it for him with my trimmer, saying, "No Dad, I think I'll wait for the place I usually get my hair cut to be back open." That was a few weeks ago. Then when it was announced that PBC hair salons could reopen, he said to his mom, "Mom, I really want a hair cut, but I don't think I want to be the first in line after they've not been able to cut hair for 2 months!" That kid is wicked smart! :D
That's one smart kid!!!! (y) :)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
There will be some hair on the floor when they open! I can’t shave my head it’s like a big lumpy gourd. You guys with the nice round heads irritate me!

·
Super Moderator
5,980 Posts

My wife's been cutting my hair for years, so the barber has been open this whole time.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
So I’ve been going to Great Clips for year and I use the online app on my phone. On Monday when they reopened some of them I saw that the one near where I work was open. As it turned out the app stated that mine had a 75 min wait. I logged on and signed in knowing I had an hour phone meeting scheduled and then I would be free for the day and leave. I got there at the time it said, went inside and checked in. They asked me to wait outside until they called me and five minutes later I walked back in and was handed a mask from them to wear and got my 10 minute hair cut and out the door I went.

I get my hair cut every two weeks as a norm. When this Covid started I thought about asking one one of the girls that usually cuts my hair for her phone number so that if they did close I could have her still cut my hair on the side. No I wasn’t hitting on her, as most are older then my mom who died 15 years ago.....from old age! 😝 But alas, I totallly forgot until I was driving out of the parking lot and decided against going back in an interrupting her while she was now with another customer.

Lesson learned. I’ll be hitting on one of those old bats next time I go! Ha 🤣

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
LMAO! Nick Nolte's booking photo. Hahahahahaa! Man, that made me howl.

I normally wear mine very short, a medium skin fade. There was one barbershop open sporadically but I'm pretty sure his tonsorial equipment is made by Echo or Stihl so I'm a bit leery of going there. I've just let it grow out and it's been a source of constant irritation since the day it started touching my ears.

I normally sport a goatee, but with not going out anywhere I've grown too lazy to shave so now I have the makings of a full beard. I don't know if it's the Covid thing or what but last time I grew a beard the hair coming out of my cheeks was brown and now it's a funky grey-white mix. Mrs. OHE asked just the other day, "When are you going to trim that hedge? You look like a wino." This, from the love of my life. To quote Rodney D., "I don't get no respect."

I think I'll return to civilized man standards before too much longer.

Nolte. Bwaaahahahahaaha

·
Registered
7,790 Posts

Hell yes. Another couple of weeks and I’ll be looking like a demented Santa Claus!

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Does that mean the ponytail is back? 😁
Afraid not. I started working on that the last few haircuts before retirement.

Paula likes the way it looks now. I like it the way I kept everything but the ponytail for the last 10 years; 7/8” long everywhere else, and the beard and sideburns trimmed to 1/8,” with a haircut every four weeks. I much prefer toweling my hair after a shower; brushing optional.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning up the airboat some, charging one of the cranking batteries, and installing a new auto circuit breaker on the positive cable on the trailer; between the trailer battery and power winch.

That particular cranking battery (The boat has two 1000 marine cranking amp batteries) is the one I have the bilge pump on that doesn’t have a float. It has a “chip” that powers the pump on every 2 1/2 minutes, and, if no water is present, powers it back off. Over several months, that will draw the battery down some.

Both cranking batteres need to be kept up, as it takes some current to spin the 454 CID 425 HP big block Edelbrock crate motor, plus the 2:1 belt drive, and three blade Whirlwind Stump Puller Prop. It’s all “direct drive,” as there’s no clutch or anything, so everything turns together.

At the end of hunting season (end of December last year), I cleaned the boat and put a tarp over the cage to cover the engine, drive and prop, but didn’t put on the screen material I have to go over the rest of the boat to keep things out. That’s because we were going to have some fishing weekends at camp after hunting season.

Well, what with 2-3 fronts coming through every week (fish usually don’t bite right after a front comes through), and the NE winds after the fronts tend to keep the water levels pretty skinny in the backwaters; we didn’t have any fishing weekends. So, the boats’s been collecting all the leaves and pollen from the Oaks and Hickories for the last 4 1/2 months. After using the leaf blower repeatedly, I still got a trash can full of leaves out of the damn thing.

So, it’s good to go, and the wife's been wanting to go fishing for Reds up the creeks, and get some driftwood. I need to pick up all the stuff I left at camp, since I was going to be back in the next few weeks (not).

ECE992A2-86C4-4A62-BF38-5EB86C58226B.jpeg

The pic is from a fishing weekend about four years ago, and was the last one that Dad was able to go on.

I’m looking at a tide chart on my phone.

241 - 260 of 262 Posts