Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about older Honda three wheeler’s made in the 80s. There are two for sale I’m looking at, they were used by a racecar team in the pits and my friend that used to ride them called them “leaners” because of the suspension.

I’m making an offer on a bunch of equipment including a 1969 Hurst Olds and I’d like to buy these two but would just like to know a little something about them.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I’m no mechanic by any stretch. I once spent two days replacing a water pump in my truck, a couple hours work for anyone else. Lol

But I spent my youth on those 3 wheelers. What are you trying to learn? What models are they? At one time, the Honda Big Red was kind of the grandaddy of the bunch.

IMHO, they’re far more maneuverable than a 4 wheeler. But, they do take some skill to do safely. At any speed, a turn requires the inside rear wheel to lift. The light front end made them excessively easy to flip over backwards. They’ve been called death machines because the design makes them so easy to roll or flip.

Ive got a scar on my leg because I put my foot down turning once and the outside rear tire nabbed it and literally yanked me off. But, I was also a teenager. We did some sketchy stuff on them. 😏

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Used to know someone who had one. You have to drive them VERY carefully! Honda took them off the market specifically because they are so very easy to flip over, and kids were getting hurt.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My kids and I have thousands of hours on them. You do stupid chit, they hurt you. Don't do stupid chit, they are a blast. Same thing applies to any machine. Firearms comes to mind.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Homey don’t need no death machines, thanks!
LOL.

There’s a small but dedicated market for them. If they run and you can get ‘em cheap enough, they might make a decent flip. I’d buy one given the chance, but at my age it would’t be a good idea. :LOL:

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I knew an 18 year old that ended up in a wheel chair for life paralyzed from the waist down from one of them. Not worth it in my opionion but everyone needs to evaluate life’s risk accordingly.

Good luck.

YMMV

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Homey don’t need no death machines, thanks!
They really aren’t that dangerous for a responsible adult to ride.

I had one back in the mid-90’s that I’d refurbished, and it ran great! It wasn’t as stable as the wife’s new Yamaha four wheeler, but it was a lot of fun to ride, and I never had any qualms about riding it, or any “close calls” either.

They predate the digital stuff, and are pretty much bullet proof. I put a trailer hitch ball on the back of mine, and used it to move the boats around to mow, and pulled a utility trailer with it to do fence work on the farm. I also used it when doing controlled burns to control smut grass in the pastures.

If I ran across a good deal on one; I’d probably buy it, and we haven’t lived on the farm for 20 years now.

I think the Big Red is like the Model T of ATVs.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
They really aren’t that dangerous for a responsible adult to ride.

I had one back in the mid-90’s that I’d refurbished, and it ran great! It wasn’t as stable as the wife’s new Yamaha four wheeler, but it was a lot of fun to ride, and I never had any qualms about riding it, or any “close calls” either.

They predate the digital stuff, and are pretty much bullet proof. I put a trailer hitch ball on the back of mine, and used it to move the boats around to mow, and pulled a utility trailer with it to do fence work on the farm. I also used it when doing controlled burns to control smut grass in the pastures.

If I ran across a good deal on one; I’d probably buy it, and we haven’t lived on the farm for 20 years now.

I think the Big Red is like the Model T of ATVs.
In the mid 80’s, when the big red was first introduced, it was highly desirable. My best friend got one of the first ones in Arkansas. Came equipped standard with front and rear racks and one if the first to introduce a reverse gear for the first time. (Amazing feat to kids used to hopping off and shoving the machine backwards.) Also a 250 when many, if not most were 150-200’s. My Yamaha was a 150 IIRC. Plus it was massive compared. Absolutely HUGE balloon tires that just floated over obstacle. Electric start while I killed myself yanking on a pull-cord half the day. I envied my buddy’s big red terribly. :LOL: They weren’t built for speed as so many that came after, built for climbing and what we called “muddin’”.

I agree with you, in the hands of a skilled rider, they can be quite safe. And, as I say much more agile than a 4 wheeler. You could spin donuts on one of those things like a top in a snowy field. :LOL: And that light front end with heavier rear made ‘em incredibly balanced jumpers. (If our mothers only knew.....we wouldn’t have had them for long😇)

I just tend to shy away from recommending them because they can be terribly dangerous if you don’t keep your wits about you.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I was 18 or 19 and watched a guy die in a helmetless adult male on 3 wheeler vs a teenager in full riding gear on a dirt bike head on.
There was a section of paved road in the sand pit we used to ride in S. NJ. Trucks and trailers would line up and down the sides and the pavement was kind of a thruway.
I'm at the side of our truck looking towards the 3 wheeler coming my way at a reasonable speed when I hear a 2 stroke coming from behind me at full bore then rapidly down shifting.
The 3 wheeler rider started to panic and my eyes stayed glued on him. Throttle up down 2 wheels one side then the other squirreling back and forth didn't know if he was slowing or gassing and he pins the throttle accelerates and tried to turn rolling the 3 wheeler and separating from it, the kid down shifting and braking missed the guy caught a piece of the 3 wheeler knocking him in to a slide he may have tumbled too, he was fine.
That's when everything slowed for me, 3 wheeler tumbling at me big guy flopping with his head attached bouncing down the pavement, I sprung into the back of a truck or on a trailer and the 3 wheeler stopped next to me the guy stopped about 10' or 15' from me.
Someone in the area claimed to be an EMT so my Boy scout 1st aid lessons stepped aside made room and told a couple of guys on bigger bikes to race to a phone and call for help.
Then like the majority of the riders we packed up and left before the police and helicopter showed up.

My toy was a kawasaki mojave 250 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found out what they are, 80’s model Honda Gyros. Seems like they are scooters with seats that lean, keeping rear wheels planted.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a half sister thats as stupid as a box of rocks. She took the neighbor kid out for a ride on her new honda 3 wheeler, first turn she flipped it, the kid went flying off and lost her ear on the gravel road, OUCH!! I wonder how much that cost the our father ??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts