Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just read the thread about shooting someone who has broken into your house. Does anybody know how to get to court records of actual defensive home shootings and see what the results were.

That would give everybody a better idea how the law works. We are all interpeting what we read. Actual cases and the results are the best guidelines. I have tried this before and had no luck. Does anybody have any information how we can get this.

This would really let us know how the castle doctrine really works.

Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Your local Clerk of Court should be able to help you.

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
tailspin,

First I'd do local newspaper search with key words like "home invasion" and pull up some local stories in the last 5 years.

Then take the key names of the "players" in the articles [ the homeowner mentioned in the article ] and see if there were charges filed by the local gendarmes for any reason.

Finding any, the criminal court in the jurisdiction where they occurred would have to be visited. Check the index cards under "defendants" for the names, pull docket numbers, ask to see the jacket on that case, and then you'd have the hard part ahead of you of attempting to get the transcripts of the trial.

The transcripts would be the telling story of what you are looking for. Without the transcripts you won't know the particulars of the why and how's of the findings of the courts.

The transcripts may or may not be available, but I bet the court would charge you so much a page for copies and not let you read the original documents. You'd probably have to pay a good sum to research each case, and it would take an exorbitant amount of time to read through just one trial, let alone several.

Would it be worth it?

Brownie

·
653 Posts
it is an enormous task. you might get lucky and find a couple of cases but without some intensive searches and a lot of time and money I don't think you will find enough cases to make it worth your while. Also many good examples of self defense do not make it to court because the shooter is not charged.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Don't know if the Freedom of Information Act works for state related cases but I know it works for Federal cases. Lot of leg work involved as others have related above, but if you find something specific, it could be worth a try going that route.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
What you're trying to accomplish will only work in the handful of cases that actually go to trial (where it becomes public record). I'd guess that very few defensive shootings by homeowners make it to that stage, and you won't be able to access any investigative reports in cases that don't go to trial, so it seems like you may be doing a lot of legwork for very minimal amounts of data.

·
Registered
974 Posts
You can try this but the results wont be as accurate as what has been previously suggested.

Search through the old news articles of home invasion defensive shootings from a year or more ago. You can try something like news.google.com. Find the name of the home owner. Search online databases for criminal records. You can use something like http://www.criminalsearches.com/default.aspx for that.

It may give you an approximate answer.

·
653 Posts
Florida public records law Chapter 119. Florida in the Sunshine. All criminal cases and files are exempt from public records until the case is deemed closed. Then only that information not exempt from disclosure is considered public records, which would probably be 90% + of the file. However, unless those records are placed on digital format and made available in a public database there isn't much of a way to find them easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts