Florida Concealed Carry banner

Home Defense: Shotgun or pistol. Slug or buckshot

24K views 132 replies 77 participants last post by  Ruby 
I have a Glock 22 with an M3 tac light sitting on the nightstand, which is my 'go-to' gun for bumps in the night. If my outside dog is going ballistic (the indoor ankle-biters bark at everything...and nothing :rolleyes:), I'll probably get the Bushmaster M4 out of the safe for dealing with exterior threats. If I have to take up a defensive position inside the house, I break out the Remington 870 loaded with Federal Low-Recoil 00 buck and some Brenneke slugs on the sidesaddle.

I for one am a firm believer that a rifle should never ever be used to defend youself. The chance for collateral damage is too great I never understood why anyone would use a 7.62x51 too defend there home. I for one only keep handguns loaded in my house I don't want to have to deal with killing a someone down the street because I used the wrong tool for the job.
Never say never...there are some HD situations (albeit, few and far between) where a rifle would actually be preferrable to a handgun. If somebody was shooting at my house from the end of my driveway, that's going to be a very tough pistol shot...but I could return accurate fire with a rifle quite easily at that distance.

12ga buckshot or bird shot at close quarters is just as deadly but won't cause as much collateral damage.
Keep your pistol as a BUG.
Just my $.02
Birdshot is typically a poor choice for a home defense load...yes, it has limited penetration in building materials. But it also has limited penetration in human tissue; just ask Dick Cheney's hunting partner. :laughing

Glock23 preban clip
Pre-ban and post-ban are all the same now...and did you just say CLIP? :aarg

Even among hard core revolver shooters, you'll see speed loaders outnumber moon clips 10 to 1, at least in the circles I hang out in.
My experience is just the opposite...nearly all of the competitive revolver shooters I know (including myself) use moon clips because they're much faster than speedloaders. Not to mention that it makes collecting your brass that much easier. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.