Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has been dying to work from home for the longest time but has never found anything that paid sufficiently for it to be worth it. With gas prices the way it is now and other factors she is contemplating the idea of starting a daycare at home. It would be no more than 5 kids between the ages of 3-6 years old. She really is very caring with kids and this would be a good work at home job for her. During our discussions about how to make it work and what to change and child proof in our house the issue of guns came up.

I have a safe and use it when not carrying, which is rare these days. However when I'm away from home my gun goes with me. I have always wanted her to get one and she will soon. She just has to go to the range and try out a few before she makes up her mind on what to get. My concern is having the gun at home. We have a safe to lock the guns up but can she carry it in the house with kids around. I carry mine all the time around my kids even without them even knowing I have it. Is it somehow different if you are running a "home daycare" with 5 kids. Since it's in my home would she be able to carry legally. I really need to know. I might go to the local sheriff station to ask. It's important because if she is home without me I would want her to be protected.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Well, as long as you can lawfully OWN a firearm, she can carry in your home based on FL Statute 790.25 (3) (n):

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons

...it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes: A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business
But she also has to abide by the following:

790.174 Safe storage of firearms required

(1) A person who stores or leaves, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm, as defined in s. 790.001, and who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor's parent or the person having charge of the minor, or without the supervision required by law, shall keep the firearm in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or shall secure it with a trigger lock, except when the person is carrying the firearm on his or her body or within such close proximity thereto that he or she can retrieve and use it as easily and quickly as if he or she carried it on his or her body.

(2) It is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, if a person violates subsection (1) by failing to store or leave a firearm in the required manner and as a result thereof a minor gains access to the firearm, without the lawful permission of the minor's parent or the person having charge of the minor, and possesses or exhibits it, without the supervision required by law:

(a) In a public place; or

(b) In a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner in violation of s. 790.10.

This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.

1(3) As used in this act, the term "minor" means any person under the age of 16.
My concern would be that she get a GOOD holster with VERY GOOD retention, as she will likely be chasing kids around, picking them up, bending over, reaching for things, etc.

Also, you both would need to decide on your own as to whether or not you'll disclose that she'll be carrying a firearm while watching the kids.

As long as you're BOTH confident it can be done safely...don't ask, don't tell.

-JT

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I would definitely do some checking. While the daycare business is located in your home, there might be licenses required by the state and certain standards that must be maintained.

Irrespective of Florida State laws, there is the question of whether it is proper to inform the parents of any of the children that your wife will be performing her duties armed. Some parents might have a problem with that, others might not. Even if she is legal, I would be concerned as to what is her training? Her firearm experience? How would she respond in an emergency situation? What are your liability concerns? This certainly can open a real can of worms.

Somehow it seems as if leaving the firearm locked in a safe when the children are there might be the prudent approach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts