Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned earlier as I congratulated 'Yardman' on his new permit, my husband is also permitted now to 'carry concealed' as well. WAY TO GO BABY !!! :D

Anyway, sometimes I used to think he was a little too anal about this 'carry concealed' practice at home sessions. I once caught him coming out of the shower and as soon as he wrapped his towel around his waist, the next step was to holster his towel and arm himself. Come on Hon, a bit too extreme, 'ya think'.

Recently after watching 'Lifetime', yeah, yeah I know I'm a real girl, I watch all those 'gooey' Lifetime tear jerkers but don't let that fool you, I'm not planning to hesitate when some bad guy is coming in my home to attack any member of my family. Anyway, I learnt from Lifetime about a woman who was attacked, raped and killed in her bathroom. We all take showers, sometimes really long showers especially women. Water drowns a lot of sounds. How much of us are ready to defend ourselves when we step out of the shower and is faced with a bad guy in our bathroom ??

I now say "more power" to my husband because he has me exploring so many different scenarios I never thought of before. Anyway, I need advise on purchasing a good holster for him now that he's legally road worthy. He has one but I think it's crappy. Please, I need suggestions. He's more comfortable wearing his firearm at positions 1:00 or 3:30. Thanks !!!

·
Administrator
806 Posts
The Lifetime Channel...:eek:

Seriously though, If you and your husband can take turns carrying at home it's a good thing. The BG's don't give you prior notice when they are coming, they just show up.

As far as a holster is concerned, I would recommend a Crossbreed holster or the M-Tac holster. Both are very comfortable for carrying hours on end because they both have leather that goes against the skin. They both also use a material called Kydex which is thin to reduce bulk and also allows for quick draw and re-holstering. Good luck

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
If you want to give him a special Fathers day gift (if you both have kids) you should give him a nice leather holster from DM Bullard Leather. Take a look these holsters are very nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another suggestion for custom leather holsters is at www.miltsparks.com. I have 2 of their VersaMax 2 holsters and they are worth every penny spent and months waiting. I have a good sized box full of holsters that will never again see the light of day now that I have found the VMII.

Remember that a good holster also needs a fine belt to match. For that I recommend www.thebeltman.net. Hope this helps a bit.

FLSig

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
+1 On both Milt Sparks Versa Max II and The Beltman. I use them both and they are excellent products.

Mom-g26, since anything really nice will involve a wait, perhaps you can order a belt from Beltman (which takes about 3 weeks) and get a decent temporary holster for hubby to hold him over.

Does he wish to carry outside the waistband (OWB) or inside the waistband (IWB)?

Depending on what he desires, I'm sure we can give you some good direction in selecting something he will appreciate and enjoy for many years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your responses. He prefers inside the waist band. I will look at all the options and make up my mind. Thanks:angel

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
FLRon and FLSig,

On the Milt Sparks Versa Max, how would or does it compare with the High Noon Holsters Hide Away or Down Under with Straps. I have a glove leather IWB holster with a clip now and am wondering if something with 2 straps would be and seemingly a little wider would be better.

Is it really worth a 3-6 month wait (versa max 2)?

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Hi RedD! I just went to the High Noon website to look at the two holsters you asked about. From what I can see, the Hideaway is unfinished on the side facing the inside of the pants, where the Versa Max II is a beautifully finished, smooth leather on both sides. The other thing is that the two snaps are very close to each other on the Hideaway, where on the Versa Max II, the spacing is much further apart adding stability and distributing the weight over a wider area.

On the Down Under model, it seems to be very similar to the Hideaway, just with a bit of a cant.

According to the Milt Sparks website... The wide spacing of the loops located off the main body of the holster add stability and ensure that the butt of the gun will not shift even during the most rigorous activity. The spaced loops also result in a flatter holster profile by virtue of the loops not being stacked on top of the gun.

Here is a pic of the Versa Max II that gives you an idea of the differences in the spacing of the loops.

I personally don't care for the IWB configuration so far, but I think the Versa Max II is considered to be the top of the line in that style holster. If you go to the Fort Lauderdale Gun Show, perhaps you can find one there to try on or see first hand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll agree with FLRon's assessment of the comparison but wanted to add that the wider placement of the straps on the VMII is a wonderful thing when it comes to the stability of hte holster. I have had a lot of holsters in the past that I had to constantly mess with and adjust, thereby giving others clues that I was carrying. Once the VMII is in place on my Beltman belt, it stays put. The wide placement of hte straps also makes for a thinner holster than when the loops are "stacked" with the holster body itself which makes it easier to conceal.

As to the question of whether or not it's worth the wait, there is no doubt in my mind that I would gladly wait 12 months for one. MS has 2 vendors that get in orders and then resell them (www.lightningarms.com and www.topgunsupply.com). Of the 2 VMIIs I have, I purchased one of them through TopGun and they were a pleasure to deal with.

The guys and ladies over at sigforum.com got me pointed in the direction of Milt Sparks and I'm glad they did. I would have spent lots of money on other holsters and still would not have been happy with them. The craftsmanship of the MS holsters and mag carriers it top notch and they are some of the most pleasant people to talk to. If you think you might want one, get in the queue and buy something else to get by with until your VMII arrives. You'll be glad you did.

FLSig

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
FLSig and FLRon,

Thanks guys. I think I may just go ahead and go with the Versa Max 2. The que (sp?) is open now and by the time the holster is cut and shipped, I will have forgotten about it. I currently have a glove leather IWB holster that I am getting used to now. It has a clip on it and the clip is a little aggravating. I figured since the VM 2 had the trap and they were spaced further apart, it would be a better feel and would hide my "print" a little better. I just have to find the time to call them before I loose a spot in line. Just giving my credit card number and the 3 digits on the back gets me nervous. But, I do appreciate the info. Thanks fellow sheepdogs.

Herb

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Crossbreed Supertuck. Great turnaround time. Great price. Great warranty. Great service.

Very comfortable. Conceals nicely. Tuckability (is that a word?) works very well, having had the unfortunate need to use it recently. Had to wear a shirt and tie. Don't ask...it suffices to say that the holster hid my gun admirably. :p

Old picture...it's fairly worn now:

Not the prettiest thing in the world, but its elegance lies in its simplicity.

-JT

·
Registered
297 Posts
Crossbreed Supertuck. Great turnaround time. Great price. Great warranty. Great service.

Very comfortable. Conceals nicely. Tuckability (is that a word?) works very well, having had the unfortunate need to use it recently. Had to wear a shirt and tie. Don't ask...it suffices to say that the holster hid my gun admirably. :p

Old picture...it's fairly worn now:

Not the prettiest thing in the world, but its elegance lies in its simplicity.

-JT
Indeed!

I have always liked the Crossbreeds...but never tried one...yet. ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts

Very comfortable. Conceals nicely. Tuckability (is that a word?) works very well, having had the unfortunate need to use it recently. Had to wear a shirt and tie. Don't ask...it suffices to say that the holster hid my gun admirably.
Glad everything worked out ok!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cut up a pair of pants and make a ghetto one that covers the trigger and has the weapon sit in the same spot... almost as comfy as mexican carry, and just as cheap :)

goodluck :drinks

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I'll add to the custom suggestions with K&D Holsters. Their IWB defenders have adjustable clips for cant and ride height. Another one is Little bear Holsters, a maker in Jacksonville, Fl who will do a true custom to your husband's measurements.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts