Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was visiting a friend and he let me try his 3 year old VP9. Never before have I held a weapon where the grips felt like they were wrapped in foam. Ten magazines and my constant flinch low left shots were nearly non existent which I have not been able to achieve in ten years with my G19. Rented a relatively new VP9 at a local range and for all 3 mags I was flinching low left again and the grips did not feel like they were as soft as wrapped with foam. Now I am lost as to the lack of flinching was due to not knowing when the fire point was on his trigger or the grips or the excitement of seeing an old friend and trying out some new weapons. Any suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
I was visiting a friend and he let me try his 3 year old VP9. Never before have I held a weapon where the grips felt like they were wrapped in foam. Ten magazines and my constant flinch low left shots were nearly non existent which I have not been able to achieve in ten years with my G19. Rented a relatively new VP9 at a local range and for all 3 mags I was flinching low left again and the grips did not feel like they were as soft as wrapped with foam. Now I am lost as to the lack of flinching was due to not knowing when the fire point was on his trigger or the grips or the excitement of seeing an old friend and trying out some new weapons. Any suggestions or ideas?
My cousin has one, and I've held it. But, TBH, I must have some kind of stigma against HK's,. I think because of the P7. You had to squeeze the grip to be able to cock the gun before you fired it. There was a time when the P7 was the standard service weapon of the NJSP. I couldn't fathom having to squeeze the grip to be able to fire it. Yes, I know the VP9 doesn't work like that, but like I say, it's a stigma.

I'm a Sig-Sauer guy though & through.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cousin has one, and I've held it. But, TBH, I must have some kind of stigma against HK's,. I think because of the P7. You had to squeeze the grip to be able to cock the gun before you fired it. There was a time when the P7 was the standard service weapon of the NJSP. I couldn't fathom having to squeeze the grip to be able to fire it. Yes, I know the VP9 doesn't work like that, but like I say, it's a stigma.
Yes, I bet that was a big issue for a lot of users with the P7. When I looked at a break down video for the VP9 I saw the "typical" complex engineering and design of the VP9 as compared to the much simpler G19. No way with my "bull in a china shop" skills will I be doing much on such a "complex" weapon. Is any weapon going to be perfect? I am just trying to understand why for one day I did not flinch low left and maybe I can resolve this problem permanently. I would love to consistently shoot some bulls eyes instead of the target logo in the lower left 😁

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Yes, I bet that was a big issue for a lot of users with the P7. When I looked at a break down video for the VP9 I saw the "typical" complex engineering and design of the VP9 as compared to the much simpler G19. No way with my "bull in a china shop" skills will I be doing much on such a "complex" weapon. Is any weapon going to be perfect? I am just trying to understand why for one day I did not flinch low left and maybe I can resolve this problem permanently. I would love to consistently shoot some bulls eyes instead of the target logo in the lower left 😁
I have found that some days I'm more "flinchy" than others.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
It’s not the weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I too, suffer the low-left syndrome. Some days worse than others.

Wait... are we talking about shooting, still?

·
Registered
55,588 Posts
If you flinch, NO pistol will shoot where you thought the sights were when you squeezed the trigger.

The solution isn't another pistol, it's you. Only you can prevent flinching, no gun will help you with that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The VP9 has customizable side grip panels (S, M, L) and backstraps, is it possible the gun you rented was not set up with the same configuration as your friends. Your friend may have also had Talon or similar grip wraps. Do some homework and you will find the difference.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The VP9 has customizable side grip panels (S, M, L) and back straps, is it possible the gun you rented was not set up with the same configuration as your friends. Your friend may have also had Talon or similar grip wraps. Do some homework and you will find the difference.
Very valid point. I called and got the adjustments that were made to my friends VP9. Range says they have the interchangeable straps and grips and we can change them next time I go. Range is being very accommodating. On the day I rented it did seem fine in my hand. Trigger reach was great. Hoping something small like this can help but I can agree with others that feel 99% sure it is the shooter anticipation and not the weapon. Got me thinking that the borrowed VP9 is older and might have a different trigger setup from the factory. My research has shown HK does (or did) offer different trigger resets. Flinching is most likely recoil anticipation so different trigger resets may fix or temporarily fix this problem. Hope I am not just over thinking this but I did experience a change from 90% lower left shooting to 80% of the shots in a 2 inch bulls eye pattern. All this is for bulls eye shooting. For self defense I still believe and train point shooting aka index shooting and so many other terms.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Hornet, I’m sure you know that there is a pre-2020 VP9 and a post 2020 model. The newer model has a 17 round magazine, a different sight set up and a few other spiffs. The older ones I believe are 15 rounds.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hornet, I’m sure you know that there is a pre-2020 VP9 and a post 2020 model. The newer model has a 17 round magazine, a different sight set up and a few other spiffs. The older ones I believe are 15 rounds.
I have been doing my homework and slowly learning. new 17 round mags have a redesigned floor plate to accommodate the two additional rounds and are forward and backward compatible to the 15 round mags. The old one I shot well had some interesting features. prosperous like glow sights that really lit up in the indoor range. But the grip is what got me. No aftermarket add-ons but they grip felt like it was made of foam.... soft to the touch but yet still very firm to get a tight grip on. Good to have a gun related project to research and getting some additional range time. Getting tired of mowing and weed whacking!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts