Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
The possibility of the gun being disabled was from me and if this is an engagement inside of 15 ft, while I may try to see if I can retrieve the gun with the weak hand, that will likely send more fire in my direction and if I don't have a BUG to go to RFN or can't get to cover immediately, I'm likely going down and perhaps just playing possum in hope he thinks I'm dead. If I'm still alive after that, I'll wait as long as possible and look for a chance to escape to safety and medical attention. Got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. :unsure:
According to you it takes less than a second for him to fire 3 more rounds. It would take anyone including you longer than that to bend over and retrieve a dropped gun. So it looks like everyone including you would be dead according to your own scenario. If he’s close enough to me that I can step in and do whatever I can to prevent him from getting off more rounds I’m doing that instead of trying to pic something up.
Now you’re free to tell us how we are all in the 99.9% you mention but you’re not. Go ahead, explain how nobody else but you could survive.
I've already stated I don't believe it's survivable unless one has a BUG instantly available to the non inured hand, [ post 32 ] but if you're going to be an arse about it, why don't you just ignore the posts I throw up in tactics and training and defensive scenario's.:rolleyes:

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
Good thread, folks. Let's not spoil it.

Keep 'em coming Brownie.
Yup and that was precisely my intent with posts #38 and 40.

· Registered
19,539 Posts
I've already stated I don't believe it's survivable unless one has a BUG instantly available to the non inured hand, [ post 32 ] but if you're going to be an arse about it, why don't you just ignore the posts I throw up in tactics and training and defensive scenario's.:rolleyes:
I missed the BUG comment. Apologies.
I enjoy these threads much more than lautermilch fly bys.
They are thought provoking. This one just kinda seemed vague and unsurvivable unless there are options other than trying to bend over and pick something up while being shot at.
Cover close by I could seek
A store or building I could dip into
Hopping in my car and driving away
To me these all seem for me to be more survivable than ‘staying in the fight’. That’s all

· Registered
17,046 Posts
OK... How about this "outside the box" thinking....

I dropped the gun according to Brownie's scenario. Instead of bending over to pick it up (very bad idea, IMO)... I KICK IT!

Stay with me here.

I kick it away! That gun on the ground is no longer viable as a weapon for you (when he's got the drop on you with his own gun). But, it IS viable as a brief distraction. And brief is all we need here.

I think it's ENTIRELY possible this action will distract the BG, who will briefly avert his eyes to follow the UNEXPECTEDLY kicked gun. It's a natural instinct to do so. I can almost guarantee his REFLEX will be to look down at the gun when you kick it away.

When he averts his eyes / attention for that brief moment, I move for control of his gun and try to disarm or disable it. But, I'm moving in on him with the full weight and force my body is capable of. Nothing to lose at this point.

Crazy idea? Or crazy like a fox? ;)

(This is assuming I don't have a BUG... but even if I did! I'd still consider the distraction of kicking the gun and THEN drawing the BUG.)

· Registered
10,717 Posts
We did this at the last training. Gun was placed on the ground to simulate this and we had to shoot with off hand. Most picked gun up and stayed kneeling and fired. Some wasted time standing back up to shoot. Andy stood there and drew his bug and shot. 🤠
I remember that, and I did the same (didn’t stand back up to fire). 👍

· Registered
10,717 Posts
Lets look at the scenario. You're "in it" [ the party ], it's just started and you've been injured in the hand and dropped the gun. Normal SD distances apply here, so lets consider 6-12 maybe 15 feet max.

You're taking incoming, we don't believe he stops at one round that's disabled your hand where you've dropped the gun. So you're still taking incoming, what's your FIRST option to get back in the fight? Pick the gun up with your non damaged off hand and get to throwing lead back.

What if the gun is disabled when you've been hit in the hand somehow? It's possible and another actually mentioned it. How do you know the gun is disabled unless you pick it up and try to use it? Seems the first option still applies, ya gotta find out if it's disabled, and if it is, well, that was still your first viable option at living through it.

So lets say the gun is disabled. You're still taking incoming. Is that a survivable?
Possibly. But I’d rather die charging the guy and trying to take him out one way or another, rather than just staying still nursing a hurt hand.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts