Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You're right at the start of engaging [ not a multiples against you scenario ], when you're hit in the gun hand and drop the pistol.

Next move?
Ever considered it, what you'd do, what could you do?
Ever trained in this scenario?

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
You're right at the start of engaging [ not a multiples against you scenario ], when you're hit in the gun hand and drop the pistol.

Next move?
When you say, "hit in the gun hand," did you mean I took a bullet in the gun hand and that hand is pretty much out of commission, or did you mean the gun hand is struck by the hand of the attacker or whatever he was attacking me with like a bat, baton, tire iron, etc. causing me to drop the firearm, but that hand is still somewhat functional?

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say, "hit in the gun hand," did you mean I took a bullet in the gun hand and that hand is pretty much out of commission, or did you mean the gun hand is struck by the hand of the attacker or whatever he was attacking me with like a bat, baton, tire iron, etc. causing me to drop the firearm, but that hand is still somewhat functional?
You're hit in the gun hand by a bullet.

· Registered
7,923 Posts
We did this at the last training. Gun was placed on the ground to simulate this and we had to shoot with off hand. Most picked gun up and stayed kneeling and fired. Some wasted time standing back up to shoot. Andy stood there and drew his bug and shot. 🤠

· Registered
8,887 Posts
I would try to go weak side and fire from the kneeling position while finding cover if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: brownie

· Administrator
33,045 Posts

Next move?
You're hit in the gun hand by a bullet.
I've considered it, but haven't exhausted that "thought experiment" thoroughly, even if that's possible. Depending upon which EDC I was carrying at the time, a polymer frame gun may be FUBAR after taking a hit in the gun hand, but the steal frame 1911 may be functional. I don't always carry a BUG. Hmmm, several scenarios could develop from that situation. . . lots of things to think about here. . . I'd probably start with trying to retrieve the gun with weak hand, if able, while seeking cover to buy some time and consider my options before the attacker closes on my position and takes me out for good. . . My EDC folder is ALWAYS in weak side front pocket and I practice the "brownie pop" all the time. . . :unsure:

Reactions: brownie

· Registered
21,781 Posts
God gave me two hands for a reason...and yes...including one handed reloads...and there will be a lot of swearing....

· Registered
5,340 Posts
Much like no one really knows until they are under fire, how they will react.
I'm going to assume the same holds true with missing digits and or hand parts.
Tough one to train for, but we can keep thinking about it. The plan might stick.

· Registered
1,906 Posts
Much like no one really knows until they are under fire, how they will react.
I'm going to assume the same holds true with missing digits and or hand parts.
Tough one to train for, but we can keep thinking about it. The plan might stick.
It's good to consider one's options for action prior to an actual event. If someone hasn't at least considered the scenario in their mental rehearsals, I've got a pretty good idea about how they will react when possibilities become facts.

· Registered
1,906 Posts
I assumed my answer to these possibilities to be "yes" when rendering it.

· Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
We did this at the last training. Gun was placed on the ground to simulate this and we had to shoot with off hand. Most picked gun up and stayed kneeling and fired. Some wasted time standing back up to shoot. Andy stood there and drew his bug and shot.
The weird thing about that day is that I was shooting my primary firearm weak handed that weekend, so I shot my bug with my strong hand.

I’ve been shooting ambidextrously for a few years so if I didn’t have the bug, I would either pull the knife that is always on the opposite side of my gun or drop and pick up the gun with the other hand.

I’ve found that I tend to shoot better on my weak hand if I’m shooting one handed and better with the strong if I’m shouting two handed.

· Registered
19,539 Posts
Typical SD distance/s. He was close enough to hit you on the hand trying to kill you
You said ‘shot in the hand’. Could be from any distance.
I have no H2H training but I did watch my son progress thru BJJ for almost three years. From up close I’d probably step behind with right foot, wrap them up and take them down, spring into mount position and figger it out..
Never really thought about it though.

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You said ‘shot in the hand’. Could be from any distance.
I have no H2H training but I did watch my son progress thru BJJ for almost three years. From up close I’d probably step behind with right foot, wrap them up and take them down, spring into mount position and figger it out..
Never really thought about it though.
I didn't state shot with a rifle at 100 yrds.
Interesting response, so you'd not pick the gun up and fire with your offhand?
"You're right at the start of engaging" --- suggesting you've taken incoming, been shot in the hand and he's likely still firing on you [ where it was right at the start of the engagement ]. You're going with something you watched you boy do with practice that you've never tried before, under duress?

Hmm,

1 - 20 of 48 Posts