Florida Concealed Carry banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
54,484 Posts
An leo has the right to express their views based on the 1a. Interesting that when leo's agree with pro 2a people, NO ONE complains about their opinion or lobbying/supporting 2a.

If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander. In either case, they are entitled to their opinion, even as public servants.

·
Registered
15,080 Posts
Not in uniform they don't. They are not allowed to use their position for politcal influence anymore than any other public sector employee

·
Registered
13,426 Posts
Sure!

US v. McCraney 674 F.3d 614 (6th Cir. 2012)
Search incident to arrest. Not even close to the same. This case was a case of the officer misunderstanding the law. Using a civil violation to turn it into a criminal violation. The sight of the gun is not probable cause. He has no right to search and seize without a) Probable cause of a crime b) a warrant or c) a permission.

Try Chicago v Horton. Try Commonwealth v Hicks.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
An leo has the right to express their views based on the 1a. Interesting that when leo's agree with pro 2a people, NO ONE complains about their opinion or lobbying/supporting 2a.

If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander. In either case, they are entitled to their opinion, even as public servants.
I agree with you. However,just like the military, I may not approve of the CINC, but I did have to follow policy.

I do not agree with anyone using their position to push their political agenda.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Martians. It's why their cars are painted green. :grin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Search incident to arrest. Not even close to the same. This case was a case of the officer misunderstanding the law. Using a civil violation to turn it into a criminal violation. The sight of the gun is not probable cause. He has no right to search and seize without a) Probable cause of a crime b) a warrant or c) a permission.

Try Chicago v Horton. Try Commonwealth v Hicks.
As I said in your previous post, this could be true depending on the facts surrounding the case, of which I have not read the PC affidavit. If their search of the vehicle was based solely on the PC of the long gun and they continued their search, incident to his arrest, fruits of the poisonous tree will likely apply if the vehicle was not towed. (Gant v. Arizona)

That said, if they arrested for the long gun, then continued their search incident to arrest prior to an inventory of his vehicle in preparation for towing it and discovered the firearms, the charges will likely hold. (U.S. v. Mendez 315 F.3d 132)

If they arrested for the long gun, then conducted an inventory of the vehicle in preparation for tow, the charges will likely hold.

See:
U.S. v. Cartwright No. 10-1879
South Dakota v. Opperman 428 U.S. 364, 369, 96 S.Ct. 3092, 49 L.Ed.2d 1000
Whren v. U.S 517 U.S. 806, 116 S.Ct. 1769, 135 L.Ed.2d 89

Again, not knowing all the details is crucial to the standing of this case.
Will be interesting to see what happens...

·
Registered
13,426 Posts
As I said in your previous post, this could be true depending on the facts surrounding the case, of which I have not read the PC affidavit. If their search of the vehicle was based solely on the PC of the long gun and they continued their search, incident to his arrest, fruits of the poisonous tree will likely apply if the vehicle was not towed. (Gant v. Arizona)

That said, if they arrested for the long gun, then continued their search incident to arrest prior to an inventory of his vehicle in preparation for towing it and discovered the firearms, the charges will likely hold. (U.S. v. Mendez 315 F.3d 132)

If they arrested for the long gun, then conducted an inventory of the vehicle in preparation for tow, the charges will likely hold.

See:
U.S. v. Cartwright No. 10-1879
South Dakota v. Opperman 428 U.S. 364, 369, 96 S.Ct. 3092, 49 L.Ed.2d 1000
Whren v. U.S 517 U.S. 806, 116 S.Ct. 1769, 135 L.Ed.2d 89

Again, not knowing all the details is crucial to the standing of this case.
Will be interesting to see what happens...
See bolded. IF they arrested for the long gun (not illegal) It is a false arrest. And anything after that is irrelavent.
I can't wait to see this case play out. I can't see anyway other than him giving permission to search that will make this legal.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts