Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13,426 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, a question for those in the know. Say Mr. Douchebag told the cop he would not consent to a search of his vehicle (where he eventually found the reported illegally carried guns), would the officer then have to get a warrant? And if so, on what grounds? And if the officer searched it without said warrant, would the other charges regarding the other guns have to be thrown out?
A warrantless protective frisk of a vehicle's passenger compartment is authorized for weapons immediately accessible by a suspect, based on reasonable suspicion, even if said suspect is outside the vehicle.

They will be dropping all charges. They had zero right to search his car. It is an illegal search and seizure. The fruit of the poisonous tree will get him paid.
This could be true depending on the facts surrounding the case. If they based their search of the vehicle via PC of the long gun and continued their search, incident to his arrest, fruits of the poisonous tree will likely apply. That said, if they arrested for the long gun, then conducted an inventory of his vehicle in preparation for towing it and discovered the firearms, the charges will likely hold.

The officer used a fake probable cause. The fact that a rifle or shotgun was visible is not probable cause of a crime. This police officer illegally turned a civil violation into a criminal violation.
Go back to first answer provided...
ITK

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Real easy here guys. Facebook has a division, called “Facebook Government & Politics” that does all of this archiving automatically. Hands off, no hassle, automatic. This is available to verified government agency accounts, politicians, and certain public sector NGO’s.

Twitter, instagram, etc have their own versions.

My time in uniform was spent as a Public Affairs Officer, so well versed in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't have this feature if I owned a social network. I'm not in the business of babysitting government. I'll gladly let them fall flat on their faces and prove their incompetence.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wouldn't have this feature if I owned a social network. I'm not in the business of babysitting government. I'll gladly let them fall flat on their faces and prove their incompetence.
It’s actually been a great business decision for them. Many departments, especially smaller ones that don’t have dedicated compliance departments, would otherwise say the heck with it and avoid SM.

I may be biased, but I believe SM is a great tool for government and law enforcement organizations.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
From a business perspective, sure. But I'm thinking beyond business. You know, the whole thing of not interrupting the opposition when they're making a mistake. :grin

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
From a business perspective, sure. But I'm thinking beyond business. You know, the whole thing of not interrupting the opposition when they're making a mistake. :grin
Even with the occasional screwup by LEOs (they’re human, too), I’m sure there are many on here besides me who don’t consider them “the opposition.”

·
Registered
176 Posts
I guess I don’t think of them ad the opposition. Sorry you feel that way.

·
Registered
13,426 Posts
A warrantless protective frisk of a vehicle's passenger compartment is authorized for weapons immediately accessible by a suspect, based on reasonable suspicion, even if said suspect is outside the vehicle.

This could be true depending on the facts surrounding the case. If they based their search of the vehicle via PC of the long gun and continued their search, incident to his arrest, fruits of the poisonous tree will likely apply. That said, if they arrested for the long gun, then conducted an inventory of his vehicle in preparation for towing it and discovered the firearms, the charges will likely hold.

Go back to first answer provided...
ITK

The courts have ruled that the mere presence of a gun is not reasonable suspicion of a crime. No matter how you paint it, it is an illegal search and seizure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If there is ever gun confiscation, they will be the ones taking your guns.
Doubtful. Too many local sheriffs wouldn’t enforce. Any hypothetical confiscation would like be federally enforced by military, or at state level, national guard. I don’t see local cops doing it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Doubtful. Too many local sheriffs wouldn’t enforce. Any hypothetical confiscation would like be federally enforced by military, or at state level, national guard. I don’t see local cops doing it.
You do realize that the Sheriff's Association in most states actively lobby in favor of gun control, right? Also, most city cops are anti-gun.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You do realize that the Sheriff's Association in most states actively lobby in favor of gun control, right? Also, most city cops are anti-gun.
Maybe most states. Not this one.

I also don’t believe that about city cops for a second. I grew up around cops, have tons of friend that are cops, interact daily with cops from feds to locals professionally, and there are very few that are anti gun.

·
Registered
15,080 Posts
Actually, the Sherrifs Assn has lobbied against open carry in this state every time it comes up

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Will you please cite the statute or case which you're basing this information?

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
54,484 Posts
Maybe most states. Not this one.

I also don’t believe that about city cops for a second. I grew up around cops, have tons of friend that are cops, interact daily with cops from feds to locals professionally, and there are very few that are anti gun.

That's been my experience with local and state leo's.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
ITK
It is almost as if MAC45 returned from the great beyond, with a faint smell of fluffer about them.....

·
Registered
15,080 Posts
A far cry from gun grabbing, though.

I’m not a fan of open carry myself.

Then don't open carry. But as public employees, they should not be allowed to lobby against a Constitutional right. And they are just that, employees

21 - 40 of 50 Posts