Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been wanting this pocket knife for a while and since they’re not expensive, I pulled the trigger. It’s a personal Japanese pocket knife called a Higo no Kami.

The steel is Worikomi steel which from what I can tell is more about the process than a specific type of steel. Maybe Greg Covington can tell us more. Basically the split a soft steel and insert a hard steel core. Brass handle. This one is a 3-inch blade and the handle is 4-inches.

It was scary sharp out of the box. Nice utility knife. I can’t wait to embarrass my wife by pulling this out at a steak restaurant instead of the dull knives they usually have.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Looks a little like a tiny Samurai sword.

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Very nice and the price is very reasonable. Good catch. (y)

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
That’s awesome, may it serve your steak cutting well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
Great find of a nice looking blade! (y)

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
54,946 Posts
Sandwiched steel with the center hardened more reminds me of Cold Steels San-Mai steel blades.

Andy, is that handle anodized aluminum? Does it have a locking mechanism, ball detent to keep the blade from opening accidently?

Nice pick up,

·
Super Moderator
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sandwiched steel with the center hardened more reminds me of Cold Steels San-Mai steel blades.

Andy, is that handle anodized aluminum? Does it have a locking mechanism, ball detent to keep the blade from opening accidently?

Nice pick up,
From what I've read San-Mai is the American name used to describe Worikomi steel. So, at least it's the same process.

The handle is Brass, so I'll have to oil it occasionally to prevent oxidation.

It's a friction folder, so no detent. The knife makers website talks about using a hammer to tighten the pivot to prevent an accidental opening, but it is a concern to be aware of. I would not use it for self defense. But it's a great little utility knife.

My wife gets upset when we're at a restaurant and the knife isn't sharp, so I pull out my Kershaw Blur which does look at little tactical. At least this looks slightly more elegant.

·
Registered
54,946 Posts
From what I've read San-Mai is the American name used to describe Worikomi steel. So, at least it's the same process.

It's a friction folder, so no detent. The knife makers website talks about using a hammer to tighten the pivot to prevent an accidental opening, but it is a concern to be aware of. I would not use it for self defense. But it's a great little utility knife.

My wife gets upset when we're at a restaurant and the knife isn't sharp, so I pull out my Kershaw Blur which does look at little tactical. At least this looks slightly more elegant.
I'd let it take on a patina myself. Not so flashy when you pull it out at a restaurant. LOL

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Nice knife!

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts

What, you don't use the Covington? 🤣

·
Super Moderator
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not for cutting steak at a restaurant if he's smart, HE IS LOL
This weekend was going to be the Sypdie sticks touchup to a few knives. I usually lightly clean them because I keep them sharp. The Covington will never be used unless something really bad is happening, and then it will be able to split hairs.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
This weekend was going to be the Sypdie sticks touchup to a few knives. I usually lightly clean them because I keep them sharp. The Covington will never be used unless something really bad is happening, and then it will be able to split hairs.
Of course, I was joking about the Covington! I too just pulled out my Spydie Sticks last weekend to touch up my carry blades, all of which I try to keep scary sharp. 🤠

1 - 20 of 32 Posts