Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
1,273 Posts
I've always wondered about flashlights, especially those mounted on a weapon, or, as you see commonly in cop shows, one hand holding a flashlight crossed under the hand holding the firearm. My brain always says "way to give away your position", and I think isn't it better to just adapt your eyes and stay hidden rather than having a shining beacon saying "here I am!"
?

· Registered
447 Posts
I've always wondered about flashlights, especially those mounted on a weapon, or, as you see commonly in cop shows, one hand holding a flashlight crossed under the hand holding the firearm. My brain always says "way to give away your position", and I think isn't it better to just adapt your eyes and stay hidden rather than having a shining beacon saying "here I am!"
?
Or at least hold it to the side in case they shoot towards the light.

· Registered
16,131 Posts

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
?
No weapons mounted lights on the pistols. I prefer the "floating light" making use of a few different holds on lights.

I'll use the end cap to momentary on when I want to ID something, off and move from that position.

· Registered
1,995 Posts
A firm case for high mag capacity ……. with every shot, you see where they have moved to!!! Like the song “ freeze frame “! & those batteries don’t wear down 😆 I actually have my first weapon mounted light in transit now. Never been a fan of them, prefer hand held. I have a couple of Streamlight Nightfighter X’s that have been bullet proof lights & some dive lights that will smoke your eyes out & a few rechargeable headlamps for work & hunting / fishing. I am putting a Streamlight TLR RM 1 on my sub 2K, on bottom rail @ muzzle, so it still folds up & tucks into the back pack. This is a light with a green laser & remote pressure switch. I have wanted to set this weapon up like this since I got it, stock hard sights, with light & laser underneath, cause you ain’t seein zhit through the stock sights at night! I went with the 1 & not the 2, because it’s 1/2 the size with the same run time. Yes it’s 1/2 the lumins @ 500, but have you ever been in a totally dark room & lite up a 1000 lumin light??? Yeah, everyone is seeing spots! I’ll stay with the 500 & see how that works. My Nightfighter is only 250, I think, & it’s perfect. Should be in soon, I’ll let ya know how it works out, couldn’t pass up the Optics Planet sale on it, so 🤞

· Registered
10,717 Posts
Anybody actually know how to use a high intensity handheld/weapon mounted light when in a darkened room/building?

Yes, there is a correct method of use.
I don’t know; but I’ve been using indirect or splash lighting for years. Every night. That method lights up a more than large enough/bright enough area, without washing everything out, as direct illumination with a high powered light can. The light can be held pretty much anywhere within reach, and provides enough light to see sights easily (if you need them). 😉

No pistol mounted lights for me; though I can see that’d be the preferred way to mount; on a rifle or shotgun.

· Registered
58,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I don’t know; but I’ve been using indirect or splash lighting for years. Every night. That method lights up a more than large enough/bright enough area, without washing everything out, as direct illumination with a high powered light can. The light can be held pretty much anywhere within reach, and provides enough light to see sights easily (if you need them). 😉

No pistol mounted lights for me; though I can see that’d be the preferred way to mount; on a rifle or shotgun.
Yes, you know. Using the indirect/splash lighting is the correct methodology used by swat when entering basements/very dark areas of searches.

· Registered
10,717 Posts
Yes, you know. Using the indirect/splash lighting is the correct methodology used by swat when entering basements/very dark areas of searches.
Well; my Daddy always said that it was better to lucky than good! 😆

I always tried to minimize luck by working to be good…

41 - 52 of 52 Posts