Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
I have SureFires in my work bag, car, and around the house. But my main flashlight is my Heider CFX which is 750 lumens.

Edit: I used the Heider in Bob's low light class where we shot in the dark with just our flashlights at OSS after dark. Think we finished around midnight.

· Registered
5,232 Posts
Not a HI but still notable for a budget light. Ozark Trail LED Flashlight,
We rather quickly purchased a few of these after this posting.
One stays on my desk, another on my night stand and one in each car.
Another is somewhere around the home, always lost :rolleyes:

Link goes where expected but doesn't look as expected in this post.

Reactions: brownie

· Registered
822 Posts
Have 5 Fenix lights. Have used the PD35 for many years. Have one in each car, couple in house and one for work. Anytime I walk at night I carry one. Have one that is 3000 lumens and have another 36R pro coming in mail that is 2800 lumens. Love the strobe of these lights, will totally blind someone. Yes, I'm a flashlite freak o_O

The wife used to ask why I would buy so many flashlites. But as with many things, she comes around and sees the light eventually. :) Whenever she needs a light, she knows where to reach for. Before Hurricane Ian hit, she asked if we had enough flashlights if power went out. I looked at her like this : :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,713 Posts
I've been seeing more and more ads for small flashlights that supposedly give off billions of lumen and can shine for miles. Are any of these for real and actually work? I've wanted a good, compact flashlight to keep in my bag but I simply don't believe advertisements anymore.
There are several brand-specific testimonials to be found on this very thread.

· Registered
57,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've been seeing more and more ads for small flashlights that supposedly give off billions of lumen and can shine for miles. Are any of these for real and actually work? I've wanted a good, compact flashlight to keep in my bag but I simply don't believe advertisements anymore.
My all time favorite light is this one E2D Defender® Ultra | 1,000-Lumen Tactical LED Flashlight | SureFire

Carried this one for years in uniform, now relegated to the drawer. I have other surefires like an old 6P upgraded to LED head, G2's.

· Administrator
32,659 Posts
You cannot go wrong with Fenix or Surefire lights. A lot of others make claims that need to be substantiated before I'll trust them. For example, I have an LA Police Gear light I threw in on a order a number of years ago as an experiment that's performed very well and held up nicely. 🤠

Reactions: brownie

· Registered
822 Posts

· Registered
822 Posts
Just got my newest Fenix in the mail! What a beauty ! A hair bigger than the PD35, just small enough as a Tac light, but with 2800 Lumens. 2 tail buttons, one for light , one for instant strobe. I've been running Fenix lights for 6 years and found Fenix has great customer service and a 5 year warranty. $120 for the PD36 Pro
I've only had one issue in 6 years and I called them, they gave me a few diagnostic tips. I had to lube the o-ring with vaseline and I was back in business.

· Registered
57,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Wow ! $249 seems high priced
It's one of their more expensive models. 1000 lumens was what I wanted at the time, this one checked all the boxes back in the day

· Registered
5,156 Posts
I have owned two Phoenix lights and was disappointed with both. They work great... as long as they work. Both of mine failed suddenly with no warning after only a few years of use. Replaced batts, replaced the LEDs, nothing, dead as a doornail. I even put one on the test bench and was able to troubleshoot it down to a bad thermistor, and it took four months to find a replacement. Soldered the new one in and it lasted all of 5 minutes before that one toasted itself.

Back in the day, when I bought the first one, 200 lumens was the cat's arse of LED lights, and that was my first one. I loved the light, carried it everywhere, and it was great until it no longer functioned. Today, with the wide availability of non-premium brand lights that have the same or better reliability and features as a Phoenix, I wouldn't spend the high dollars to get another one.

· Registered
10,494 Posts
You cannot go wrong with Fenix or Surefire lights. A lot of others make claims that need to be substantiated before I'll trust them. For example, I have an LA Police Gear light I threw in on a order a number of years ago as an experiment that's performed very well and held up nicely. 🤠
All true.
That said; I bought an O-light a year ago for $55.00 w/free shipping that so far has put my Surefire Stiletto to shame; both in power and durability.
The O-light also has a very good quality reflector, which is often a shortcoming on the less expensive lights.

It’s rechargeable, and still charges up nicely. It goes at least twice as long between charges as the Surefire does.

· Administrator
32,659 Posts
All true.
That said; I bought an O-liget a year ago for $55.00 w/free shipping that so far has put my Surefire Stiletto to shame; both in power and durability.
The O-light also has a very good quality reflector, which is often a shortcoming on the less expensive lights.

It’s rechargeable, and still charges up nicely. It goes at least twice as long between charges as the Surefire does.
Forgot about those and know they've been getting good reviews, but your endorsement tops anything said by essentially unknown online sources. (y)(y)

· Registered
5,156 Posts
All true.
That said; I bought an O-liget a year ago for $55.00 w/free shipping that so far has put my Surefire Stiletto to shame; both in power and durability.

Thanks for bringing those up, Rick, I'd not heard of them before. Looked on their site and there's a couple there that have my interest (like I need more flashlights... what's this "need" stuff? :LOL:).

Which model do you have?

Reactions: BeerHunter

· Registered
10,494 Posts
Thanks for bringing those up, Rick, I'd not heard of them before. Looked on their site and there's a couple there that have my interest (like I need more flashlights... what's this "need" stuff? :LOL:).

Which model do you have?
It’s an S2R Baton II.

· Registered
57,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Just found another light I had tucked away, it's the Streamlight Pro Tac 2L. This must have been given to me at some point years ago, stuck it away and while looking for something else yesterday, I came across it.

350 lumens, programmable.

· Registered
15,028 Posts
I've got one on each motor, several set up around the house, one in the garage and one in each cage. When I worked in uniform I always had a handheld on me and the huge maglite in the cruiser [ which could be remembered or forgotten ] when alighting same.

Never really got into carrying a flashlight other than the above situation/s. Most of time, I was out late working the streets, never thought to take a flashlight and never actually needed one [ where I thought gee, I wish I had a light right now ]

Do you carry a HI handheld on your person every day?
Yup a sure fire that can be handheld or weapons mounted.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts