Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
hipoint

Greetings.

Well, I have had an EXTREME experiance with them.

When I worked in the gun store/range in WA we had two fissure and crack w/ low recoil range ammo. One was the 45ACP and the other a 40Smith.

However, I have talked to one or two customers who have them or friends w/ them who haven't had one issue.

I also have a friend w/ the carbine and it shoots very well.

I am sure there are alot of opinions out there but the best way to find out is to get somewhere and rent one, if possible, and see for yourself.

Also, research the type of steel... the cracked ones in WA didn't look like quality steel.

The things I don't like about them is size, the small ejection port and the negative history.

I don't know if I helped, but that is my meager experiance.

Cheers!

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
I've never owned one, but they seem rather poorly constructed when compared to other 'brand name' guns. Having said that, there are plenty of people around who swear by them, and I wouldn't point and laugh at you if you pulled one out at the range (not to your face, anyway :laughing). Keep in mind though that you won't find a Hi-Point in the holster of any armed professional in this country. If you can afford to purchase something better, I recommend you do so. Just my .02

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did buy the c9 saturday from shooters for 159 if i dont like it oh well. i do own 2 other revolvers but wanted to try a semi auto. i got the 9mm thinking ammo will be cheaper then my .38 or my judge. i wont make it to the range for a while but i will post after i go

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
Hey, if nothing else it makes a good throwaway piece. :rolf

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
you won't find a Hi-Point in the holster of any armed professional in this country.

Very true. That should give others an indication of the perceived life saving value of a high point for those who go in harms way.

I don't recommend them at the shop except for people who only want to spend $159.00 and get a c9 [ which is what we sell them for as well ], to use at the range as a practice gun.

It may be better than nothing, we sell a boat load of them and don't get very many back that don't work, but if the customer is want for a carry gun to protect him/herself, I ask them

What's your life worth?

Brownie

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
you won't find a Hi-Point in the holster of any armed professional in this country.

Very true. That should give others an indication of the perceived life saving value of a high point for those who go in harms way.

I don't recommend them at the shop except for people who only want to spend $159.00 and get a c9 [ which is what we sell them for as well ], to use at the range as a practice gun.

It may be better than nothing, we sell a boat load of them and don't get very many back that don't work, but if the customer is want for a carry gun to protect him/herself, I ask them

What's your life worth?

Brownie
I agree, for a practice gun, sure..
To protect ones life....No way

·
Registered
7 Posts
The first gun that I got was one of the older HP 40 pistols and I have never had any trouble with it. I bought it because it was all I could afford at the time. I bought my second HP (9mm carbine) because I love HP. I have never had anything but great experiences with them.
They are made in the US and if anything is ever wrong, HP has a lifetime warr. on the gun with no questions asked and you do not have to be the original owner! Can't beat that!
Pat

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi-Points are not Cheap...Just Inexpensive.

I own two, a 40 and 380 and I have never owned any better guns, not my Rugers with no warranty, S&W's, Llamas, etc. Mine have a lifetime no BS warranty and if a MFG can't or won't guarantee a gun, then it is suspect to me.

After thousands of rounds, not one single problem. Will cycle any kind of ammo, a claim that most others cannot make. JHP's no problem. Accurate? I will put my HP's up for money with any other gun. The problems is their price. Made in American by Americans with American parts seems not to be the desire these days. but let me tell you that IF your HP ever malfunctions, and few ever do, they will fix it or replace it with a new one even if you are the 10th owner 10 years from now. My 7 close-by dealers all have long waiting lists for all models as do most online dealers. Hmmm...Wonder why?

So, I guess all the bad-mouthing comes from folks who have never owned one, never shot one and just assume that any gun that can be bought NIB between 100 and 200 bucks, isn't worth owning. I own Henry's, Rugers, Taurus', Heritage's, Rossi's, Coyote Cap's, Stoger's, Uberti's and even an 1901 Orbea, so I am not limited in my experience.

I consistently can shoot offhand in 1" - 2" groups, so try that with your Snob guns. Heavy, you bet, and I love the stable platform for my big hands.

Me I will take the $200-$300 saved and buy another pistol or rifle or shotgun. The only other guns I own that have that warranty are all Taurus' and my Henry rifles.

Enuff Said.

BC :thumsup

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Will cycle any kind of ammo, a claim that most others cannot make.

I beg to differ with that statement sir. My Sigs, my Glocks, my HK's, my SA 1911 will eat anything the high point will eat and then some. Where did you get the idea most others aren't as capable?

I will put my HP's up for money with any other gun.

Though I'm glad to see you think highly of your high points, let me know when your guns will run 6000 rds+ without cleaning and still be humming right along. That's quite a challenge. I'll take you up on that if you don't mind-- say 5K rounds of ball ammo starting with a clean gun, and we'll see who's gun pukes first. Loser pays the others ammo costs? I like shooting for free.

So, I guess all the bad-mouthing comes from folks who have never owned one, never shot one and just assume that any gun that can be bought NIB between 100 and 200 bucks, isn't worth owning.

Happened to sell a 380 and 9mm highpoint to a lovely couple who wanted some training three weeks ago. The 380 ran good for 300 or so rounds and then go dirty enough that it puked. The 9mm had a magazine problem with a weak spring after loading it just a dozen or so times during that session and consequently wouldn't feed reliably.

I consistently can shoot offhand in 1" - 2" groups, so try that with your Snob guns.

All day long with several of my own "snob" guns [ as you so eloquently called them ] there sir. :thumsup

I don't carry a 10.00 knife to potentially defend myself nor do I carry a 159.00 gun to do the same. After nearly 30 years on the streets, I've learned you buy the best you can afford, not the cheapest for many reasons.

High points have been around long enough to have law enforcement seriously look at them for issued sidearms if they were as reliable/dependable as the guns they test before purchasing. They simply don't have the reputation of some of the other "snob" guns with people in the know who test reliability and service life for a living. Purchasing agents have been known to contract with the least expensive gun they can arm their uniforms with on the streets, and the High Point is not a gun that's chosen---------- there's a reason for that.

The only other guns I own that have that warranty are all Taurus' and my Henry rifles.

Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty and have honored that for 40 years before high points were even designed. Many other manufacturers warranty their guns as long as you are the original owner forever as well. Not sure where you get your stats, but they aren't as accurate as you may suspect based on your post above.

I'm glad you like your high points, but some of your statements are inaccurate and incorrect. Just thought I'd clear that up for the members here, they deserve an objective look at the facts you've presented here.

Brownie

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi-Point viewpoint from an owner.

I own 2, a 380 carry gun and a 40 cal bedside gun. Along with my 3 Ruger's, 3 Taurus', 2 Henry's, Stoeger 12ga, NEF 12ga, Rossi 38 Carbine, 3 22cal Heritage's, 2 Uberti's, Pietta's, Thompson and a coupla antiques, I consider the Hi-Points equal to any gun I own in both quality and performance. They are exceptionally accurate and uncommonly reliable. You can count on HP's to function whenever the need arises, whether in competition or protection. Do not be put off by the price. They are a very well constructed gun of space-age materials, in America by American workers using American made parts. For almost 20 years they have been a proven product.

After reading the above comments I checked with several NRA C.I's and to a man, all said that any instructor who is that ignorant of firearms should have his ticket pulled. If anyone hears an Instructor put down any brand, they need to walk out and find someone who is qualified to teach all the aspects of guns. These guys are called "gun snobs"

I do know a little about firearms as I am a SASS Certified RO I & II and a NRA CRO who shoots 3 competitive matches a month in 2 states, with a wide variety of guns. I am also a smart shopper who recognizes a good value when I see one. Never let anybody tell you money is the only criteria for purchase. Check out the Hi-Point owners forums and you will find owners with tens of thousands of rounds shot without a single malfunction. And I defy anyone with any brand to do better in offhand shooting than my two do: 1-1/4 to 2" groups at defensive target ranges. And, they will function smoothly with any type of ammo stuffed in their mags. Just don't put too much stock in the rantings of those who know not of what they speak. Check out the pros who test for magazines and other HP owners. Also, gun shops - I have 9 stores within 25 miles that carry and rave about HP's. They I consider "experts" 'cause their livelyhood depends a lot on their knowledge and recommendations. I think enuff said for now. :thumsup

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Buckeye Charly,

I find it interesting that I took you up on your challenge about "I will put my HP's up for money with any other gun." and you re-posted and totally ignored my taking you up on your challenge. Care to comment about why you ignored my taking you up on that challenge of yours?

After reading the above comments I checked with several NRA C.I's and to a man, all said that any instructor who is that ignorant of firearms should have his ticket pulled.

I posted two instances of High Points that puked while I was training their owners within a short period of time [ 300 rds or less ]. What I didn't post was that we've had two High Points back in the shop with cracked slides at the ejection ports that were sent back with less than 1000 rds through them.

They are a very well constructed gun of space-age materials

Space age materials?

The slide is die cast from a zinc-family alloy that includes aluminum, magnesium, and copper and is called zamak-3, rather than machined from forged steel.

You consider zinc, aluminum, magnesium and copper space age materials?

Check out the Hi-Point owners forums and you will find owners with tens of thousands of rounds shot without a single malfunction.

You believe everything you read on the internet, particularly a nitch forum like that?

If anyone hears an Instructor put down any brand, they need to walk out and find someone who is qualified to teach all the aspects of guns. These guys are called "gun snobs"

If an instructor puts down a certain brand of gun, it may be because he has seen problems with a particular model in his classes, and in no way suggests that they are gun snobs. They'd actually have an educated opinion based on experience with their students weapons on the line in their courses. I know of no instructor who wantonly dismisses any particular firearm without some basis in facts.

And I defy anyone with any brand to do better in offhand shooting than my two do: 1-1/4 to 2" groups at defensive target ranges

As I mentioned in my previous post----All day long with several of my own "snob" guns including HK, Glocks, and Walthers verified by students in their after action reviews by the way, not just someone coming on a forum and stating such. BTW--what range do you consider defensive target ranges?

Here's a little ditty from a student in Tenn who wrote in this regard about what I can do with a glock at 30 feet---------

"Brownie may be able to chew a ragged 2 inch hole out of a target with 2 handed QK at 30 feet" That's 10 yards, probably more than double your defensive target range.

That's without sights using a threat focused skill I teach others across the country. Imagine what I can do with sights on the gun huh? There's nothing special about being able to shoot 1-2" groups at defensive ranges with about any handgun, so I find it rather amusing you would write in such a manner as to make it appear the High Point has anything over another makers product.

Check out the pros who test for magazines

This alone suggests you are less informed about "Pros" than you'd think. Gun writers very rarely write the truth about any firearm they test as the bosses take money from the makers for advertising and those monies support their business. Bad press from a gun writer on some gun will quickly produce a loss of revenue from that maker in that magazine. This has been so well known for decades among the informed that your statement would suggest you aren't as knowledgeable as you think in this regard as well.

Also, gun shops - I have 9 stores within 25 miles that carry and rave about HP's.

I also work at a gun shop that sells High Points here in Az. We sell a lot of those guns, and see few come back, relatively speaking, for the volume in that particular make of pistol. That however does not indicate they don't see returns for warranty work or breakage either.

One last time for everyone here who may be reading this thread. You made a challenge, I accepted that challenge, you came back and ignored my accepting your challenge while posting about how great the High Point is and how those who have different experiences with them and consequently educated opinions of that brand of firearm were snobs and that you "checked with several NRA C.I's and to a man, all said that any instructor who is that ignorant of firearms should have his ticket pulled".

I don't put much stock in their opinions personally, you however, are welcome to listen to anyone you'd like. I see which guns puke in my classes more than others, and we'll regularly run 1500-2000 rds or more over two days. That sir, is an educated opinion based on first hand knowledge and experience, not taken from a nitch forum where everyone is there to praise one product and by it's very nature would not be subject to objective and random viewpoints from the larger shooting public in general.

Once again, as you seemed to ignore the part about the LE and Mil community statements I made in the previous post as well------- 20 years of High Points being available, and not one instance of a police dept or military contract being awarded to that company due to the procurement cost, reliability or durability of that companies products. There's a reason for that, one you apparently do not want to address here point by point.

So don't ignore my acceptance of your previous challenge. Bring the High Points out and play. I'd enjoy taking the trip to Florida and shooting a ton of ammo for free anytime you'd like. After all, based on your position of the quality of your High Points, you'd be walking away with free ammo, and some coin in your pocket by my snob gun puking before your zinc alloyed zamak-3 gun did.

To reiterate------I'm very glad you like your High Points and find them adequate for your needs. Others will choose something quite different, made of better materials, forged and not die cast like some kids toys, which have a reputation on the streets with police officers and military units who've done more testing than any one group of people are capable of on various makers products and who've never chosen your gun of choice.

Looking forward to your response, and making the necessary flight arrangements to Florida for this challenge of yours. Put your money and High Point up against my "snob" gun [ I'll use my first gen glock 17 I've had since 88 that's got over 97,000 rds through it and runs over 6K between cleanings regularly ]. Your challenge that "I will put my HP's up for money with any other gun." has been met. Now prove your statements to the members here by honoring the accepted challenge.

Brownie

·
Registered
578 Posts
Buckeye Charly,

I find it interesting that I took you up on your challenge about "I will put my HP's up for money with any other gun." and you re-posted and totally ignored my taking you up on your challenge. Care to comment about why you ignored my taking you up on that challenge of yours?

After reading the above comments I checked with several NRA C.I's and to a man, all said that any instructor who is that ignorant of firearms should have his ticket pulled.

I posted two instances of High Points that puked while I was training their owners within a short period of time [ 300 rds or less ]. What I didn't post was that we've had two High Points back in the shop with cracked slides at the ejection ports that were sent back with less than 1000 rds through them.

They are a very well constructed gun of space-age materials

Space age materials?

The slide is die cast from a zinc-family alloy that includes aluminum, magnesium, and copper and is called zamak-3, rather than machined from forged steel.

You consider zinc, aluminum, magnesium and copper space age materials?

Check out the Hi-Point owners forums and you will find owners with tens of thousands of rounds shot without a single malfunction.

You believe everything you read on the internet, particularly a nitch forum like that?

If anyone hears an Instructor put down any brand, they need to walk out and find someone who is qualified to teach all the aspects of guns. These guys are called "gun snobs"

If an instructor puts down a certain brand of gun, it may be because he has seen problems with a particular model in his classes, and in no way suggests that they are gun snobs. They'd actually have an educated opinion based on experience with their students weapons on the line in their courses. I know of no instructor who wantonly dismisses any particular firearm without some basis in facts.

And I defy anyone with any brand to do better in offhand shooting than my two do: 1-1/4 to 2" groups at defensive target ranges

As I mentioned in my previous post----All day long with several of my own "snob" guns including HK, Glocks, and Walthers verified by students in their after action reviews by the way, not just someone coming on a forum and stating such. BTW--what range do you consider defensive target ranges?

Here's a little ditty from a student in Tenn who wrote in this regard about what I can do with a glock at 30 feet---------

"Brownie may be able to chew a ragged 2 inch hole out of a target with 2 handed QK at 30 feet" That's 10 yards, probably more than double your defensive target range.

That's without sights using a threat focused skill I teach others across the country. Imagine what I can do with sights on the gun huh? There's nothing special about being able to shoot 1-2" groups at defensive ranges with about any handgun, so I find it rather amusing you would write in such a manner as to make it appear the High Point has anything over another makers product.

Check out the pros who test for magazines

This alone suggests you are less informed about "Pros" than you'd think. Gun writers very rarely write the truth about any firearm they test as the bosses take money from the makers for advertising and those monies support their business. Bad press from a gun writer on some gun will quickly produce a loss of revenue from that maker in that magazine. This has been so well known for decades among the informed that your statement would suggest you aren't as knowledgeable as you think in this regard as well.

Also, gun shops - I have 9 stores within 25 miles that carry and rave about HP's.

I also work at a gun shop that sells High Points here in Az. We sell a lot of those guns, and see few come back, relatively speaking, for the volume in that particular make of pistol. That however does not indicate they don't see returns for warranty work or breakage either.

One last time for everyone here who may be reading this thread. You made a challenge, I accepted that challenge, you came back and ignored my accepting your challenge while posting about how great the High Point is and how those who have different experiences with them and consequently educated opinions of that brand of firearm were snobs and that you "checked with several NRA C.I's and to a man, all said that any instructor who is that ignorant of firearms should have his ticket pulled".

I don't put much stock in their opinions personally, you however, are welcome to listen to anyone you'd like. I see which guns puke in my classes more than others, and we'll regularly run 1500-2000 rds or more over two days. That sir, is an educated opinion based on first hand knowledge and experience, not taken from a nitch forum where everyone is there to praise one product and by it's very nature would not be subject to objective and random viewpoints from the larger shooting public in general.

Once again, as you seemed to ignore the part about the LE and Mil community statements I made in the previous post as well------- 20 years of High Points being available, and not one instance of a police dept or military contract being awarded to that company due to the procurement cost, reliability or durability of that companies products. There's a reason for that, one you apparently do not want to address here point by point.

So don't ignore my acceptance of your previous challenge. Bring the High Points out and play. I'd enjoy taking the trip to Florida and shooting a ton of ammo for free anytime you'd like. After all, based on your position of the quality of your High Points, you'd be walking away with free ammo, and some coin in your pocket by my snob gun puking before your zinc alloyed zamak-3 gun did.

To reiterate------I'm very glad you like your High Points and find them adequate for your needs. Others will choose something quite different, made of better materials, forged and not die cast like some kids toys, which have a reputation on the streets with police officers and military units who've done more testing than any one group of people are capable of on various makers products and who've never chosen your gun of choice.

Looking forward to your response, and making the necessary flight arrangements to Florida for this challenge of yours. Put your money and High Point up against my "snob" gun [ I'll use my first gen glock 17 I've had since 88 that's got over 97,000 rds through it and runs over 6K between cleanings regularly ]. Your challenge that "I will put my HP's up for money with any other gun." has been met. Now prove your statements to the members here by honoring the accepted challenge.

Brownie
Brownie, can you here the crickets chirping? LOL I can!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Brownie, can you here the crickets chirping? LOL I can!
I'm trying to find a popcorn smily. I know there is one on FSN. Maybe TampaSsgt has one we can post here.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm trying to find a popcorn smily. I know there is one on FSN. Maybe TampaSsgt has one we can post here.
Ill try to find us some Coke or Pepsi to go with the popcorn.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Cool, then we can have the Pepsi vs. Coke competition again after all these years. :laughing

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Cool, then we can have the Pepsi vs. Coke competition again after all these years. :laughing
Pepsi. Diet, of course. We wouldn't want all that sugar going directly to the hips, now would we?

MamaBear, who is very familiar with the phrase 'Once on the lips - forever on the hips.'

1 - 20 of 46 Posts