Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently applied for my CCW Permit in FL using my DD214 as my training document. I went online to the Department of Agriculture. Submitted my passport photo, my honorable discharge DD214 and my electronic fingerprints through the Sheriff's Department. I went on youtube and some guy in my same situation said he got his in less than 2 weeks. I submitted mine 10 days ago. Can any fellow Veterans or family/friends of Veterans tell me how long the process can actually take? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Welcome to the best gun forum on the entire internet!

No idea about the CCW timeline. Did mine 24 years ago. :) I waited a lot longer than that, though. I think it's much faster these days, but I have no idea how fast. Maybe someone else here will have an answer.

BTW, even though I could have used my DD214 (with Navy "Expert" Pistol Medal) to apply, I took a course anyway. :)

You should definitely get Jon Gutmacher's book on Florida Gun Laws. Read it. Know it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I was in the Army for 11 years, range safety and armory was my thing so it has helped me in training now that I moved from NYC (where guns are a no no) to FL, but I will be looking to train soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sent mine thru the good ol US Postal Service, from NC.......Processing began on 9/13/2018 and it was issued on 10/30/2018. It was in my mailbox on 11/05/2018....47 days minus 4 days due to the hurricaine closure of most government offices in Tallahassee. So, really 44 days I would say it took for mine. I was former Military Police US Army.... Hope that helps.....Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it helps. I'm now comparing the snail mail system vs the electronic system and it looks like (hopefully) the electronic system and online application is faster. Is there anyone out there that is a Veteran and did it the same way I did it?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Welcome from Tampa Bay. Looks like you filed yours at the right time. It will be valid for 7 years which, hopefully, will be long past the time the "commissioner elect" is in office...

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Welcome aboard, i used my DD214 and regular mail, took about 2-3 months but that was about 10 years ago, i believe they have gotten a lot quicker now. :thumsup

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Welcome from Fort Myers.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welcome to the best gun forum on the entire internet!

No idea about the CCW timeline. Did mine 24 years ago. :) I waited a lot longer than that, though. I think it's much faster these days, but I have no idea how fast. Maybe someone else here will have an answer.

BTW, even though I could have used my DD214 (with Navy "Expert" Pistol Medal) to apply, I took a course anyway. :)

You should definitely get Jon Gutmacher's book on Florida Gun Laws. Read it. Know it.
Great advice! Even though I was in the same boat (prior military - Expert Pistol/Rifle), both the wife and I took the course and got the book. It took mine nearly a month to approve. Welcome!

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, ThunderBro5850! :wave

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC! :grin

1 - 20 of 33 Posts