Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just became a member on here but have been a member on another forum similar to this one in my home state of North Carolina for several years. I have been carrying concealed since I received my permit soon after I turned 21. I am moving to Orlando, Florida area in August for school. I will be finishing up my degree in Show Production at a school in that area. I have an off campus apartment so I plan on bringing at least my carry firearm(s).

I would love any input that would be helpful as far as if I should get an out of state permit or a Florida permit or if my North Carolina should be ok being I am only there for 21 months total. I know that Florida accepts North Carolina CC permit but being I'm moving there for almost 2 years I was looking for some advice on that. If there are an Florida LEO(s) on this forum or if someone could point me to what I should legally do I would greatly appreciate the input.

North Carolina has just recently passed HB937 which allows us to carry in movie theaters, places that serve alcohol, (and even college/school/government parking lots) as long as its locked in the vehicle. I have tried to find if Florida has something similar and have had no luck. I know Florida has Stand your Ground laws like North Carolina but have been unable to find if Florida has anything similar to North Carolinas HB937.

I'm glad I found this site and am looking forward to reading and talking to like minded people who will be in the state I will be living in for a couple years.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Welcome to a great forum and a great state for everything firearm and sport shooting. You must download CCW app to find the answers you seek. Our go to
http://www.handgunlaw.us

:)

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
By the way I'm a course director for recording arts degree at fullsail if that's the school you're referring to ;-)

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Welcome from Lakeland , if you sit a table you carry anywhere that serves food , and no gun signs mean don't let them see it . You should read "florida firearms rights and responsibilitys" by gutmacher it's the CC guide . good luck

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Welcome from Jacksonville

·
Banned
8,392 Posts
Welcome from Seminole County, lots of crime by the colleges. Stay frosty

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would love any input that would be helpful as far as if I should get an out of state permit or a Florida permit or if my North Carolina should be ok being I am only there for 21 months total. I know that Florida accepts North Carolina CC permit but being I'm moving there for almost 2 years I was looking for some advice on that. If there are an Florida LEO(s) on this forum or if someone could point me to what I should legally do I would greatly appreciate the input.
Welcome aboard. As long as you keep your NC driver's license you should be fine with your NC CCH. Keep in mind your NC CCH will become null and void if you become a FL "resident". There is only one advantage to getting a FL non-resident CWFL in that you can drive/walk within 1000' of a school zone without breaking the Federal rules because you'll have a license issued in the State where the school is located, whereas your NC CCH was issued in NC... Not much of a big deal really unless some LEO is really out to get you for something/anything, but whereas you'll be spending lots of time near school zones it might be worth the $112 just to cover all the bases. If it were me and the money isn't an issue then I'd get the FL CWFL... Also one BIG difference between NC rules and FL rules is that in NC open carry is not a violation whereas in FL it is. While in FL keep that firearm concealed so you don't frighten the tourists and/or bed-wetting liberals.

Allan

p.s. I teach concealed carry classes in both NC and in FL...

·
Banned
3,837 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
Welcome from South Florida

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Welcome from Jacksonville.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Welcome from Fort Myers.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Hey I just became a member on here but have been a member on another forum similar to this one in my home state of North Carolina for several years. I have been carrying concealed since I received my permit soon after I turned 21. I am moving to Orlando, Florida area in August for school. I will be finishing up my degree in Show Production at a school in that area. I have an off campus apartment so I plan on bringing at least my carry firearm(s).

North Carolina has just recently passed HB937 which allows us to carry in movie theaters, places that serve alcohol, (and even college/school/government parking lots) as long as its locked in the vehicle. I have tried to find if Florida has something similar and have had no luck. I know Florida has Stand your Ground laws like North Carolina but have been unable to find if Florida has anything similar to North Carolinas HB937.

I'm glad I found this site and am looking forward to reading and talking to like minded people who will be in the state I will be living in for a couple years.
You'll want to look at Chapter 790 Florida Statutes.

Specifically section 12 in 790.06:

(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

(b) A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.
Also, Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Welcome from Lakeland , if you sit a table you carry anywhere that serves food , and no gun signs mean don't let them see it . You should read "florida firearms rights and responsibilitys" by gutmacher it's the CC guide . good luck
Is that the law? Signs basically mean "don't let them see it" or is that just a good mind set to have?
Also I'm looking for that book "florida firearms rights and responsibilities" by gutmacher" and I'm having a hard time finding it. I didn't see it on Amazon and when i google searched it I was unable to come up with anything other than people talking about it on other forum's.

You'll want to look at Chapter 790 Florida Statutes.

Specifically section 12 in 790.06:

Also, Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force.
Thank you for the links.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Is that the law? Signs basically mean "don't let them see it" or is that just a good mind set to have?
Also I'm looking for that book "florida firearms rights and responsibilities" by gutmacher" and I'm having a hard time finding it. I didn't see it on Amazon and when i google searched it I was unable to come up with anything other than people talking about it on other forum's.

Thank you for the links.
Here's the link to Gutmacher's book http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/. I think the guy is telling you the no guns signs on the door do not carry force of law in FL like they do in NC, i.e. there is no statute in F.S. 790 saying you cannot carry because someone put a sign at the door. There are laws against "armed trespass" where the Statutes say you cannot carry onto properly posted LAND, but it does not address posted buildings. Most folks interpret these rules as meaning if you carry into a privately owned building, whether posted with signs or not, you are okay up to the point where someone tells you to leave in which case you exit immediately without a fuss wheras in NC simply entering a building that's "conspicuously" posted as no guns allowed is a violation. Here in FL it's not that cut and dried.

Allan -- if you want one of Gutmacher's books I'll sell you one for $30 plus shipping (about $3 IIRC) PM me if interested.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts