Florida Concealed Carry banner

help with glock 26 carry

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  dudester 
#1 ·
I am new to carrying and have a Glock 26 -- i am thinking about a Galco U.S.A. ultimate second amendment IWB holster. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks.

#4 ·
Glock 26

From a "buyers" perspective, if you have the ability to try on some various holsters, I HIGHLY recommend it. The short barrel, grip heavy guns have an odd balance point as it is, and a person's body type may change that even more so.
I know not every gun store or sporting goods store has a great selection of holsters, but if you know people at your range or fellow shooters who could let you try their rig on, that will help, ALOT.
When I worked in a gunstore, I pushed the customers to try on the rigs. I didn't press the "high dollar"; I pushed what worked for them. I sold alot of Ross holsters just because they worked. I also sold alot of Kramer and Galco rigs as well.
I wish forums were around when I started off in the shooting world, I would have saved a ton of $$. There are some great opinions and unknown gear/makers out there.

If after you exhaust your options and still feel unsure, contact a holster maker like K&D, HBE, Matt DelFatti, Brommeland, Nossar, Mitch Rosen, myself and many more. I have talked to a few shooters lately and got them on the road to a holster w/ another company. They wanted some rigs I don't make or was not in their price point.
I can tell you from experiance that K&D, HBE, Matt and MR are GREAT folks and will be more than happy to help you.

Personally, I carry my short barrel 1911 in a Stimulus Pkg from my shop, an HBE Com III and now a Garrett CH1 kydex OWB.

I hope I helped.

Cheers!!!!

#10 ·
Daytona, do you have any experience carrying at all, concealed or otherwise? The options for carry methods vary greatly, and as people vary greatly as well, the opinions you'll get could be overwhelming.

If you know anyone that carries (ideally, a similar firearm, but not necessary), it would help if you could try their rig out, to at least get a gross estimation if that particular carry method (IWB, OWB, amount of cant, position, etc.) may work for you.

If you know of any defensive pistol matches held in your area, it may be a good idea to visit one and have a look at the equipment being used. Ask questions, see if the shooters will let you try their rigs.

Fortunately, the Glock is a fairly common handgun, and you may be able to try off the shelf products to get a feel for what you may want as well, and then perhaps order something from a custom maker like Little Bear or 'semi-custom' like Crossbreed. Many will buy a cheapie holster by Uncle Mike's or maybe Galco while waiting for their custom holster to arrive. With a fairly common design like the Glock, that could be an option for you as well.

I know I'm not independently wealthy, and have very little extra cash to throw around, so I was very lucky in finding a good holster that fit me well on my first attempt, and avoided the dreaded 'holster drawer' of holsters that didn't quite work out.

Good luck.

-JT

#11 ·
Thanks for all the input -- i have a uncle mikes IWB that works ok but the grip is kind of high up on my waist, looking for something that is more flush with my waistline. 3 o'clock position with a forward cant seems to be best for me. My arm hanging by my side hides most printing of grip.

#14 · (Edited)
For all you new guys..Your Holster and your belt are just as important as your firearm..If you cannot access it and draw/fire from it in a second or two..you just lost the fight...Your equipment is as critical to staying alive as is learning how to use that firearm hanging off your belt..People will spend extravagant amounts of money on trivial crap and comfort items but cut corners on firearms, holsters, belts and training..things that will keep you above ground..Never ceases to amaze me..but damned if I dont need that new gas fired B-B-Q...

#17 ·
I have a G26 and tried several store bought holsters at first--most folks probably did the same exercise. Some were adequate. In the final analysis I had a holster custom made by HBE (Holsters by Eric). Yes, they can be more expensive especially if you want exotic skin or other trim. I'm thinking if you drove up to Jax and visited Little Bear Holsters and got an idea of what the "made-for-you and your gun" holster can offer you could be miles ahead and save money by not buying one or more mass produced holsters. There are several good suggestions in this thread--trouble is, you have to make the decision on what rig you want to use.

#18 ·
Good leather holsters are worth the money. Of course if the holster holds the gun securely, permits a full grip, is comfortable, and suits the owner then whatever he uses is fine.

I have found that I do not like holsters, belts, or mag carriers that are not top notch. Accordingly, I expect to pay for them. But makers like Sparks, Alessi, Brommeland, and Nossar are well worth it to me. I guess there is a certain joy of owning a superb item. Some like cars, others custom guns, and we could go on and on. I just like fine leather holsters and accessories.

I have not seen work by HBE, but Eric might be in the same class as those mentioned.
At the price of ammo today, the price of a first rate holster is a bargain IMO.

Regards,
Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.