Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this photo of Harriet Tubman carrying/posing ,what I am guessing is to be, a service rifle. I'm hoping someone can help identify the rifle as I think it might be fun to track down a replica. While she was part of a Scout regimen, I'm getting mixed results on what she might have carried.

nonetheless, this looks like an interesting rifle all on its own. Does someone have any idea?
The closest I might have found is an 1876 Crossfire Cimarron (.45-60 or .45-75). Although, I can't align the years involved.

Outerwear Sleeve Hat Tints and shades Uniform

Reactions: AFJuvat and Caleb

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like we’re in the ballpark. As I look closer at the picture, I’m reminded of those county fair photos as the background looks painted. I couldn’t see Harriet Tubman owning the latest model rifle but, I have no idea.

her primary carry was a pistol and knife so, any rifle handling would have been during military service. Would she keep her service rifle? Also, the closest 1873 of that configuration looks like it was used in he Northwest Territories.
There must be an authoritative history book somewhere.

lastly, I think trying to load 45-75 might be a challenge for this averag reloaded.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aaahhh! That makes more sense as it better aligns the years.
It also creates a dilemma for me as now I have to consider tracking down two rifles instead of one as I was considering putting together a list of historically significant (to me) rifles to acquire.

Thanks?😁

Reactions: BeerHunter
1 - 3 of 3 Posts