Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this photo of Harriet Tubman carrying/posing ,what I am guessing is to be, a service rifle. I'm hoping someone can help identify the rifle as I think it might be fun to track down a replica. While she was part of a Scout regimen, I'm getting mixed results on what she might have carried.

nonetheless, this looks like an interesting rifle all on its own. Does someone have any idea?
The closest I might have found is an 1876 Crossfire Cimarron (.45-60 or .45-75). Although, I can't align the years involved.

Outerwear Sleeve Hat Tints and shades Uniform

Reactions: AFJuvat and Caleb

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
It looks like a Winchester 1873, but I've never seen one with a full length forend like that.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Best estimate, it is a Winchester Model 1876 Carbine. It could also be a 1873, but the carbine configuration as pictured were pretty uncommon.

The 1876 was chambered in:
.45-75 Winchester
.45-60 Winchester
.40-60 Winchester
.50-95 Express

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like we’re in the ballpark. As I look closer at the picture, I’m reminded of those county fair photos as the background looks painted. I couldn’t see Harriet Tubman owning the latest model rifle but, I have no idea.

her primary carry was a pistol and knife so, any rifle handling would have been during military service. Would she keep her service rifle? Also, the closest 1873 of that configuration looks like it was used in he Northwest Territories.
There must be an authoritative history book somewhere.

lastly, I think trying to load 45-75 might be a challenge for this averag reloaded.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Tubman trivia:
The push to put Tubman on $10 bill replacing Hamilton was derailed because of the surge in popularity of the first Sec of Treasury due to the eponymous play. Trump put a hold on replacing Jackson on $20 bills. Biden put the move back on track. So we may see new 20's in a couple years with this dour looking woman on the front, but not holding a rifle, I'm sure.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Interesting thread. I was curious about the photo, and a little internet sleuthing suggests the woman pictured with the rifle is not Ms. Tubman, but rather Mary Fields. According to Encyclopedia Britannica (link below), Ms. Fields was quite a bad ass. She was the first black female U.S. Postal service contract mail carrier, possibly in Montana and thereabouts.

While I am wholly ignorant of the history of the rifle pictured, Frgoods' comment about the closest configuration of the 1873 being used in the Northwest territories seems to be spot on based on the above information.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aaahhh! That makes more sense as it better aligns the years.
It also creates a dilemma for me as now I have to consider tracking down two rifles instead of one as I was considering putting together a list of historically significant (to me) rifles to acquire.

Thanks?😁

Reactions: BeerHunter
1 - 10 of 10 Posts