Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:pistols Just recently I joined a armed citizens legal network. They have 3 DVDs explaining the do's and don't of the law if one has to appear in court.It has great info pertaining to the law of ccw. It is a new organization to help armed citizens.I checked it out, seemed solid. The dvd that I watch explained the responsibiliy that ones has before the use of justifiable use of force. Topics such as reasonable man law, the 3 elements that can be used to make sure it is legal, Ability,opportunity, and jeapordity. what is considered a weapon that can used as a deadly weapon, and the intial agressor law. I am amazed at the information that is available.They don't have any attorneys in Fl yet ,but I am told that Massad Ayoob is one of the counselors. :thumsup

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just remember that the laws vary from state to state even though there are some common elements in most jurisdictions. I bought (and highly recommend) Jon Gutmacher's book, "Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership" available through Jon's website. It's a good overview.

What *I'd* really like to see is a pre-paid legal service for gun owners that employs a series of attorneys like Jon Gutmacher who'd be available at 3 AM to come to the police station in the event a member ever needed assistance or was brought in for questioning after a defensive shooting. If ever the police and/or state attorney questioned whether I was justified in using deadly force, I'd want an attorney with me. (Mostly to keep me from saying something STUPID, like "mutha f'er had it comin'! I shoulda shot his punk a$$ a few more times.")

- Str8Shooter

P.S. - My wife and I are both attorneys, and we both basically agree that neither of us would want any extended questioning of our use of deadly force w/o a criminal defense attorney present. I'll give a brief statement of fact to the investigating officers who arrive on the scene, but anything more extensive and I'll want someone sitting in my corner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right on the target

I have in my possession that book that I use at every class that I teach for ccw. They have points that has caught my attention and I have an appoint ment with an attorney to discuss what the right way in our state law states so that I can stay with in my rights.

:thumsup

·
Registered
252 Posts
The book is a great resource. I have very few critcisms of it. I hope that Gutmacher continues to update it.

So what do you think of the armed citizen legal defense network? (Is it www.armedcitizensnetwork.org?) Have you found it to be useful other than the DVDs? I'll be interested to know how much assistance they provide in locating attorneys compared to the referral service offered by the NRA.

I'm still holding out for an armed citizens pre-paid legal service, but I may break down and try the other if it turns out to be worthwhile.

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Just remember that the laws vary from state to state even though there are some common elements in most jurisdictions. I bought (and highly recommend) Jon Gutmacher's book, "Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership" available through Jon's website. It's a good overview.

What *I'd* really like to see is a pre-paid legal service for gun owners that employs a series of attorneys like Jon Gutmacher who'd be available at 3 AM to come to the police station in the event a member ever needed assistance or was brought in for questioning after a defensive shooting. If ever the police and/or state attorney questioned whether I was justified in using deadly force, I'd want an attorney with me. (Mostly to keep me from saying something STUPID, like "mutha f'er had it comin'! I shoulda shot his punk a$$ a few more times.")

- Str8Shooter

P.S. - My wife and I are both attorneys, and we both basically agree that neither of us would want any extended questioning of our use of deadly force w/o a criminal defense attorney present. I'll give a brief statement of fact to the investigating officers who arrive on the scene, but anything more extensive and I'll want someone sitting in my corner.
I have an attorney. We have talked specifically about what to do and what not to do. He is very clear-do not talk to the police. If a LEO has to discharge their weapon, they receive 48 hours before they have to speak to anyone.

"I am sorry. I am very upset right now. I will not speak without my attorney present."

I will not get hung out to dry because I am emotional and someone wants to see how fast they can 'get this done' and back in their nice, warm bed. My life is worth too much to take a chance.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
The following videos are a bit lengthy, but truly eye opening in answering the question about speaking to the police after any potential incident involving the use of your weapon.

I am very pro law enforcement, but you must also be smart and not do anything that could do you great damage should you start talking after a stressful event such as being involved in a self defense shooting.

The first lecture is given by a law professor. The second lecture is by an experienced police detective. If you can, take the time to watch these lectures and learn as much as you can.

Part I - The Professor's Lecture

Part II - The Detective's Lecture

·
Registered
974 Posts
I remember seeing these videos a few months back. I've been meaning to bookmark them.

Thanks for saving me the effort of looking for it.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
very, very informative. Thanks for the post.:thumsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts