Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have video surveillance all around the place and if it gets to somebody slinging lead, I’ll be coming outside to introduce them to my “little friend“ Or we can get into the ceiling mounted escape pods.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I vote for the escape pods. I mean, if you’re gonna be in there building anyway.....monster garage the hell out of it!

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
No windows in gun room but they will be barred and alarmed. Windows are adjoining office. Old Farmer, thanks again for your input. I will paint the steel.
Dang Mr. Shark , It Will Be a Cross Between a Bank Vault & A Pill Box ! I "Could" Suggest a Perimeter Deterrent , But 'Not' On Here ( lol ) It's Just Great ! "Gunner" ;)👍

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Motion sensing Sentry Turrets come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
We are continuing to plan as we go. The main door to the gun room will be hidden and unless you know the trick, it’s not readily observable. In the event that it’s used as a safe room, you always have the potential of something blocking an outward swinging door.

One of the bearing walls has studs on 12 inch centers. If an invader is in one section of the structure looking at the drywall on the exterior of the gun room, they won’t know where the expanded steel is and isn’t. My inclination is to take an 18 x 12 wide steel emergency escape door and have it on a piano hinge screwed multiple times to a stud. It will then have four lockable barrel bolts with those tamper resistant machine screws and locknuts. Neither the wife nor myself are porkers and we can easily skinny out between the 12 inch studs. We will drywall the exterior wall but one small section, completely concealed by the drywall will be the escape hatch.

The Escape Hatch will then require the steel door being unbolted from inside and then kicking through that portion of the drywall to allow us to crawl out if necessary. Unless someone has a better idea, I think that solves the problem.

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The Escape Hatch will then require the steel door being unbolted from inside and then kicking through that portion of the drywall to allow us to crawl out if necessary. Unless someone has a better idea, I think that solves the problem.
Maybe score the Sheetrock with a deep cut where you want it to break. Cut around the perimeter and make an X from corner to corner. Could save a few critical seconds when it counts. Especially if you're not 100% at the moment.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The expanded steel is screwed and affixed to the exterior wall plywood with construction adhesive copiously applied to studs. I’m very impressed with the strength of this combo. RayMan continues impress me with his skills.
00031D28-308E-464B-92DB-14DC1DB3E3E7.jpeg
8BC2F622-3207-4C17-AB0E-217FF8CB7494.jpeg

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Doesn't look like you painted the expanded metal as was suggested earlier. Rustoleum has a rusty metal primer that works well. I roll it on expanded metal. It sticks well even if you don't have the metal completely clean. Just a thought. As for your emergency exit through the sheet rock, mud in a separate piece of sheet rock for the opening and put wire in the joint with an exposed loop on the inside. When you pull the wire it will cut the mud from between the pieces and make it easy to remove. Just a thought it would be quieter than kicking/pounding your way out.
Good luck

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Doesn't look like you painted the expanded metal as was suggested earlier. Rustoleum has a rusty metal primer that works well. I roll it on expanded metal. It sticks well even if you don't have the metal completely clean. Just a thought. As for your emergency exit through the sheet rock, mud in a separate piece of sheet rock for the opening and put wire in the joint with an exposed loop on the inside. When you pull the wire it will cut the mud from between the pieces and make it easy to remove. Just a thought it would be quieter than kicking/pounding your way out.
Good luck
I like this wire in the mud idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 68 Posts