Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few people asked me to post details when we finally figured out construction for a semi inpenetrable gun room/high security room. You can see member ray man at work in the middle of the gun room. Starting at the exterior wall, it will be three-quarter inch tongue and groove glued and screwed plywood. Beneath it will be sheets of nine gauge expanded steel, next will be the stud wall and it will be alarmed for vibration and insulated with the spray foam you see on the main walls. On the inside of the stud wall will be additional sheets of expanded steel covered by three-quarter tongue and groove glued and screwed plywood with drywall over it.

The ceiling will be treated similarly with sheets of expanded steel/plywood/alarm system. Humidity control will be through a mini split system and all the doors in the project are custom fabricated heavy steel tamper proof jail doors that a friend of mine makes. The safes will be lined up on one wall and anchored to the slab.

It’s a 20‘ x 20‘ room/man cave so I will mount a large flatscreen on one wall, have a reclining couch on the other and run a 24 Hour Loop of “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

·
Super Moderator
28,418 Posts
Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
420 Posts
Shark, I see that you went with the expanded metal I suggested, good idea.
Before you hang the metal be sure to spray it with a a preservative of some type or paint, you can use a pump up garden sprayer to do it, takes a few minutes with a pump sprayer.
You can lay them or hang them with a plastic sheet underneath to catch the paint runs.
If you don't spray it, it will rust faster than a democrats brain.
Also put the wiring on the inside of the expanded metal sheets, it makes it harder to get to from the outside, if someone is trying to break in.
I built security doors, over 3500 of em and jail doors for 18 years in Oregon, so I have laid eyes on many security rooms in those years, also heard many tales from victims..

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No windows in gun room but they will be barred and alarmed. Windows are adjoining office. Old Farmer, thanks again for your input. I will paint the steel.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Shark; Thanks for the detailed build intel.
This will help me avoid all the high gun and ammo prices these days.
Sorry; forgot to ask; PM me your home address please.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice! Looks like it could also be a fairly effective Faraday cage. You may need to mount a cellular antenna outside the room. The construction brings to mind a government SCIF.
I had the same thought about cell and wireless alarm coverage. Any idea what I should use? Homey don’t know too much about that stuff.

The inset area where the blue ladder is standing is the cut out for the elevator/cargo lift that goes to the second floor storage.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Nice room. I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff but one thing comes to mind. I reason the steel mesh sheets follow a bend but don't break philosophy. However, without concrete block or something similar, what's to prevent bullets striking the occupants in a worst case scenario?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had the same thought about cell and wireless alarm coverage. Any idea what I should use? Homey don’t know too much about that stuff.

The inset area where the blue ladder is standing is the cut out for the elevator/cargo lift that goes to the second floor storage.
This homey doesn't either, which has helped feed numerous consultants over the years.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Very nice buddy. Wish you well with this. (y)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nice room. I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff but one thing comes to mind. I reason the steel mesh sheets follow a bend but don't break philosophy. However, without concrete block or something similar, what's to prevent bullets striking the occupants in a worst case scenario?
He can fill the walls with sand or gravel to slow the bullets down or stop them..
The steel mesh will help the walls not to bulge from the weight.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts