Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The local news article in Nassau County is titled as "Gun club near elementary school frightens parents" but I think it should read as "Gun Club Underfire By Soccer Moms".

The gun range is located in Yulee, Florida in a rural section of Nassau County.
This is a Skeet shoot only firing range and it does not point in the direction of the school.
The range has been there since 2008 but I guess it was an easy target for a few local mothers that want the range closed during school hours.

First Coast News article

ETA: Sorry about the broken link, apparently Tapatalk is having some major issues.
The link to First Coast News should be working now.

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
I'm more afraid of soccer moms.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), through its National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, estimated that there were 186,544 soccer-related injuries in 2006. Approximately 80% of these injuries affected participants younger than 24 years, and approximately 44% occurred in participants younger than 15 years
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/125/2/410.full

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Sounds like it is time for a school field trip.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I volunteer at the school. Last Friday there was a special event going on at Amelia Shotgun Sports. The volume of fire was much greater than usual. The range isn't a safety hazard to the school but the amount of noise on Friday was definitely distracting and it can be heard in the classrooms on the side of the school nearest the range.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I volunteer at the school. Last Friday there was a special event going on at Amelia Shotgun Sports. The volume of fire was much greater than usual. The range isn't a safety hazard to the school but the amount of noise on Friday was definitely distracting and it can be heard in the classrooms on the side of the school nearest the range.
Based on this account, it seems the issue is noise. I'll bet this has been spun as fear for safety from an original complaint of noise. Fear sells better than noise. :thumbsdwn

·
Registered
175 Posts
Based on this account, it seems the issue is noise. I'll bet this has been spun as fear for safety from an original complaint of noise. Fear sells better than noise. :thumbsdwn
youre probably right. if it was based on purely a noise issue who do you think would win? or should win?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think it would be wise to make friends, not enemies. Meet with the school or moms and discuss what their concern is (people want to be heard, first). Then see what we can do about noise, split the cost of some sort of noise barrier (a storage building for the school on the school property or a storage building for the range on the range property, placed to block noise), or hold large events on saturdays. You'd be surprised at the way people will compromise when you show an interest in what they care about.

The other option is to fight them. That may end up with new city code about noise and bigger problems.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I think it would be wise to make friends, not enemies. Meet with the school or moms and discuss what their concern is (people want to be heard, first). Then see what we can do about noise, split the cost of some sort of noise barrier (a storage building for the school on the school property or a storage building for the range on the range property, placed to block noise), or hold large events on saturdays. You'd be surprised at the way people will compromise when you show an interest in what they care about.

The other option is to fight them. That may end up with new city code about noise and bigger problems.
Sounds like a good reason to deregulate suppressors.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
That may end up with new city code about noise and bigger problems.
And, if I understand correctly, any city code about noise in the State of Florida, new or otherwise, would have no bearing on firearms being discharged.

-on Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,392 Posts

^^^^
This.

Also, I assume the range is more than 1,000 ft from the school, as well as the routes to/from for the shooters! :grin

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
I wonder how many moms actually complained. Two?

The facility's director said, "If they have FCAT testing and need quiet," she said. "I would be happy to accommodate them if they give me enough notice." Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
And, if I understand correctly, any city code about noise in the State of Florida, new or otherwise, would have no bearing on firearms being discharged.
Not certain what you're saying here, but it sounds like you think the state level pre-emption of firearms laws would mean that local noise ordinances could not be applied to firearms discharge. If so, that is not true. A city cannot pass a noise law that singles out firearms noise, but they can set decibel level laws and enforce those against any kind of noise maker, including firearms (providing the firearm is not being used in lawful self defense).

·
Registered
6,669 Posts

-on Tapatalk
No, it means that gunfire must be treated the same as any impulse noise source.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Who came first, the school or the Range?

·
Registered
581 Posts
The school has been there for 30 years, the range for about 6. Most days the range is a minor distraction. They are closed on Monday and Tuesday and most Wednesday's, Thursdays, and Fridays they aren't too busy before school gets out at 2. When they have fundraisers or other special events it can be very loud and disruptive to the school.

·
Registered
20,601 Posts
you should hear the town of punta gorda when the sheriffs are qualifying....it sounds like a war zone...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts