Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Retired a year ago and moved to Florida from New Mexico. It appears that I am gonna have to get a Florida concealed carry permit. The reason being that Alabama has a truly disgusting set of gun laws and I find that I must sometimes travel in Alabama. It is hard for me to believe that it is unlawful to carry a handgun in your vehicle while in Alabama.

I never attempted to get a concealed carry permit in New Mexico because it simply was not needed by myself. In New Mexico, your car is considered an extension of your home and you may carry a handgun any way you wish to carry it while in your car. (I don't recommend unlocked and loaded, with the barrel stuck in your ear unless you voted for someone who intends to take away your second amendment rights.) Outside of the car, New Mexico has an open carry law so you can strap it on your hip as long as you don't conceal the weapon. You gotta love a state with laws like that. It negated my need for a concealed carry.

So, I shall be reading and learning from all of you members of this fine forum. I'm sure I will have some questions now and then. At age 66, I'm not sure I can still whip a 600 lb bear carrying a weapon so I'm gonna have to go for the cc permit. At the moment my handguns are limited to a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum, an EAA Witness Standard in 45 ACP, an EAA Witness Compact in 40 S&W, and a little 38 peashooter compact.

It appears that I am going to have to get some training even though years ago my TO weapon was a 45 ACP, with which I received all manner of training and managed to qualify as Expert, and I have safely used handguns for 50 years.

Just ain't much justice in this world anymore.

Jim

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jim.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Jim, welcome. Look forward to your wisdom. Where in New Mexico were you? :drinks

·
213 Posts
Welcome to Florida and the forum.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim. Glad to have you onboard :thumsup

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Welcome to Florida and the Forum Jim......

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Welcome to the sand bar.
It's a much shorter trip to the beach here.

Where in Fla?

Good to see old guys that still shoot. And I'm another old guy

AFS

·
Registered
974 Posts
Welcome to the group.

If you have documentation that you received training you probably don't need to go through any more training. I used my Army papers from '98. (DD-214)

If you're traveling from one place where you may legally have a weapon to another where you may legally have that weapon you may have that weapon in your car but it basically needs to be secure and out of reach. If this is relevant to your situation I'm sure somebody has the link to the federal law.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the welcome, gentlemen.

FLRon, I am definitely picking up "The Book".

Red Dawg, I lived in Socorro. Worked on the north end of White Sands Missile Range.

flccnp, that documentation has been lost for more years than most guys have lived. It's a shame, but I don't have it.

Having been born and raised in Alabama, I expected that state to have laws that would allow one to protect oneself. Never expected such backwards gun laws from my home state. There is no getting around traveling in the state because my family, including my 89 year old mother, lives in Tuscaloosa. Visits to mom are a must. It just terrifies me to think of traveling utterly defenseless and unprotected.

Dadblastit! I hate being forced to be a sheep that thinks like a wolf, I mean thinks like a sheepdog.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Having been born and raised in Alabama, I expected that state to have laws that would allow one to protect oneself. Never expected such backwards gun laws from my home state. There is no getting around traveling in the state because my family, including my 89 year old mother, lives in Tuscaloosa. Visits to mom are a must. It just terrifies me to think of traveling utterly defenseless and unprotected. Jim
Greetings, Jim. Welcome aboard.

Where in Alabama were you born and raised? My family lives in the Gadsden/Attalla/Rainbow City area. I was just there last week with the bear cubs. One sister lives in B'ham. My nephew is at University of Alabama now. I graduated from Etowah High about 100 years ago - give or take a few years. Well, maybe it just *feels* like that long ago. [g]

Glad to have you here.

MamaBear

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you, Mamabear.

Home town is Tuscaloosa. I graduated from Tuscaloosa County High in 1960. Grief! That was a long time ago. Can you imagine what stress and torn emotions I was subjected to during the Gators and Tide game? I was already in deep water before the game for telling relatives (especially the sister) that Bama was about to play a team which could spank their behinds real good for them.

Well, the sister was already miffed with me because I had watched a rabid? armadillo attack her manicured lawn at 2:00 AM and did not shoot the armadillo. No amount of explaining that bouncing bullets kill innocent neighbors appeased her. The beast had dug holes in her lawn and therefore should have forfeited its life in a bloody manner. In order to return to sister's house again (mom lives with sister), I had to promise that I will bring a baseball bat with me and bludgeon the evil armadillo to death should I witness such wanton evil acts again.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Yep, I hear ya. My mom keeps an over and under shot gun with a scope in her kitchen pantry. Any unwanted varmints that cross her 17 acres does so at their own risk. She has been known to scare the life out of more than one critter. She doesn't actually kill them because then she has to figure out what to do with a dead animal. Still, you don't want to sneak up on her.

Good hearing from you,

MamaBear

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
Welcome aboard, Jim. The required training is mostly in Florida rules concerning CC, which you would want to have in any case. The only firearms training is minimal- demonstration that you know which end to hold and which to point.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Welcome Jim and Happy New Year!!

Below I have posted some websites concerning the State of Florida Concealed Weapon License. This should give you the information necessary to acquire your CWL and know what the laws are.

http://flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.....HTM&Title=->2004->Ch0790->Section 06#0790.06
The 2008 Florida Statutes
Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 790
WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--
http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC01.HTM&Title=->2007->Ch0790->Section%2001#0790.01
Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 790
WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
790.01 Carrying concealed weapons.--
http://www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0776/titl0776.htm
Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 776
JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE
CHAPTER 776

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi Jim, Welcome to the forum

1 - 19 of 19 Posts