Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1st. Post From A New Member.
I got the heads up alert from another great Concealed Carry site of which I am a member, the United States Concealed Carry Association Forums that this site was here specializing in Resident CCW in the "Sunshine State.
63 Y.O. Male.
Married 37 years.
Born in Alexandria, VA.
Lived in Sarasota County since 1967.
I have been around firearms all my life.
Branch of Service: U.S.C.G.
As a civilian, I have been carrying concealed for a little over three years in Florida.
At present I own four firearms.
My primary concealed carry is a Springfield Amory XD-9x19 17 Rnd. Black Service model.
My BUG concealed carry is a Kel-Tec PF-9x19 8 Rnd. Parkerized.
For the home defense I own a Mossberg 6 round 12Ga Tactical Parkerized and a Kel-Tec Sub-2K (a folding carbine) Sub-Rifle fitted to take Glock 17(10-32 9mm Rnds.) Mags.

Friends, I am very pleased to find that this site exists and that I am now a FLCC (Jr. Jr.? Man, I haven't felt this young in decades:D) Member.
Thanks for letting me in.

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Welcome Craig,

Loved your intro and especially loved your signature lines. Welcome to the site. Look forward to your contributions.

MamaBear

ps - thank you for your service in the U.S.C.G. If I'm not mistaken you are the first Coast Guard representative here. There are many military men on this site.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Just North of University Avenue waving hi and a big welcome

AFS

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Welcome to the forum CSDalton :thumsup. We look forward to your input.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Nokomis here..... I'm smelling a "forum shoot day"at Knight's Trail!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Knight's Trail Park Public Shooting Range...

Knight's Trail?
...is part of the Knight's Trail Park System which is located in mid-Sarasota County, in the Laurel/Nokomis area East of The Tamiami Trail/U.S.-41 and E. of I-75 as well. Addy is 3445 Rustic Rd. Nokomis, FL 34275. Phone is: 941.861.5000
Open 9-5 Tuesday - Sunday.
It is well managed/maintained and the firing line is always supervised by 2-3 experienced shooter/line officers who work for Sarasota County. Targets are placed from 12 yards - 100 yards.
The shooting line is covered. Public Restrooms. Plenty of Parking.
As I said, it IS well managed but, IMHO, it is almost too managed as there is no holster work allowed as a matter of fact holsters are not even permitted at the range. Most all firearms are welcomed, even shotguns firing slugs only. No rapid fire allowed i.e. double or triple taps or full auto. No photo silhouette targets or any targets with faces are allowed (I guess to prevent Mothers-in-Laws, ex-Wives, Bosses, Etc's. images showing up as Bulls Eyes:rolf) not even one of Bin Laden. DANG!
But, all in all, it is a very nice shooting range. On a 1-10 Scale I give it a 7.5

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
Thanks. That does sound rather structured. I'm accustomed to restrictions against fast and slow draw, but no double taps sounds a bit much.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
As long as you don't double tap every time.. nothing is said.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
George...

...my Bro-in-Law was Chief 1 at Nokomis Vol. Fire Dept. for a number of years. He still teaches classes there.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
...my Bro-in-Law was Chief 1 at Nokomis Vol. Fire Dept. for a number of years. He still does training classes there.
Lane, Kemmerer or D'angelo?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Knights Trail corrections

A couple of corrections about the Knights Trail range.

1. The range is open Tuesday thru and including Sunday. Closed Monday's and holidays.

2. The targets are at 12 yards (pistol, rimfire rifle), 25 yards (pistol, rimfire/centerfire rifle), 50 yards (pistol, rimfire/centerfire rifle) and 100 yards (rimfire/centerfire rifle).

The range is more inclined towards marksmanship, bullseye, precision rifle, hunters, and the promotion of the shooting sports, in general.

NRA certified trainers, and families are seen on site regularly.

It also is a non-threatening atmosphere for women who are simply looking to learn how to shoot for personal/home protection.

Double taps and rapid fire are not allowed due to several previous instances where shooters clearly demonstrated an inability to control the muzzle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hmmm, I stand corrected

MJRodney, Thanks for the update and corrections. Very helpful:thumsup. Since they Dbled the Range Fee I have not used the range as often as I should. Were they closed Sundays and Mondays at one time?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It certainly is possible, csdalton, but not in my recent memory.

Of course, my old memory these days extends to just short of two days ago, so I may not be much help there.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
I bought the annual pass... think it was $110.... ten trips and you break even!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Knights Trail offers a 25 visit pass for $197.99 that is good for 52 consecutive weeks.

That brings your per day cost down to below $8 per shooter.

It doesn't matter if you bring just yourself 25 times during the 52 weeks......or if you bring yourself and 24 friends just once.

My bride and I consider ourselves to be range rats at Knights Trail, so this type of pass makes sense for us.

Keep in mind that this is an all day pass. You can come in the morning, leave for lunch, and return later in the day. Just tell the Rangers you are doing that and keep your receipt.

Bring two bullets and make a day of it.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Knights Trail offers a 25 visit pass for $197.99 that is good for 52 consecutive weeks.

That brings your per day cost down to below $8 per shooter.

It doesn't matter if you bring just yourself 25 times during the 52 weeks......or if you bring yourself and 24 friends just once.

My bride and I consider ourselves to be range rats at Knights Trail, so this type of pass makes sense for us.

Keep in mind that this is an all day pass. You can come in the morning, leave for lunch, and return later in the day. Just tell the Rangers you are doing that and keep your receipt.

Bring two bullets and make a day of it.
I stand corrected... I thought I paid less!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Mrs., myself, the kiddies and sometimes guests usually make the drive to the Cecil Webb range in Charlotte county. We prefer to shoot skeet and trap with our shotgun and they have to ranges dedicated for that. They also allow holstered carry but I am not sure on "holster work" per se. We like the less stufy atmosphere than Knights Trail although I am not talking down that particular place. The FWC/state park people and prices have made it an attractive place for us. I'll include a few links at see what you all think. I do however like the idea of a forum "round-up", "meet and greet" or "insert party/shooting get together name here". I, too am former USCG that is how i ended up in this freedom loving state from So. California during my early twenties.

JB

http://www.capecoralnews.net/content/view/79/49/

http://myfwc.com/HUNTERED/CecilWebb_brochure.pdf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts