Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
That makes no sense to me, but different strokes.
For home defense purposes. Why NOT have them loaded? Same goes for fire extinguishers. What is the point, otherwise?

It makes no sense to me having a gun unloaded. After all... if we're supposed to treat all guns as IF they're loaded... might as well load'em.

If we’re supposed to treat all guns AS IF they’re loaded, why not KEEP them loaded? It seems that many people change how they treat firearms when they THINK or are even “sure” they are unloaded. If you intentionally keep them loaded, you won’t ever think (or treat them as if) they’re unloaded, right?

·
Registered
668 Posts
For home defense purposes. Why NOT have them loaded? Same goes for fire extinguishers. What is the point, otherwise?

It makes no sense to me having a gun unloaded. After all... if we're supposed to treat all guns as IF they're loaded... might as well load'em.

if we’re supposed to treat all guns AS IF they’re loaded, why not KEEP them loaded? It seems that many people change how they treat firearms when they THINK or are even “sure” they are unloaded. If you intentionally keep them loaded, you won’t ever think (or treat them as if) they’re unloaded, right?
Any firearms I have locked in my safes aren't "in use", and are therefore unloaded. I only treat loaded guns as loaded.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I only treat loaded guns as loaded.
A violation of Rule #1. But, as you said... different strokes. :)

I want my home defense guns to be "ready for use." Granted, they are secured in safes, if they aren't in my direct control. One of the safes is a quick-access safe. But, even most of the guns in the not-as-quick-access (electronic combination) safe are loaded and chambered. I don't want to have to open the safe AND THEN have to load them when the bad guy comes a-knockin'.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Super Moderator
30,988 Posts
Seems to me that if the definition needs to be "amplified" (and/or explained) then that needs to be a part of the rule. If the rule requires you to make assumptions about how it might be different in different situations, then it's not really a very good rule.

I like the four rules. Then you don't have to make assumptions, or do any amplification, about whether or not it is loaded. You simply treat every gun as if it is loaded -- always.
Don't disagree at all, as I wrote to racer. However, when I became an NRA Instructor, I challenged the difference between the two sets of rules and was given the explanation of "Ready to Use" for EDC/SD guns as explained earlier and told that they were egfectively equivalent. That's obviously a matter of opinion.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Don't disagree at all, as I wrote to racer. However, when I became an NRA Instructor, I challenged the difference between the two sets of rules and was given the explanation of "Ready to Use" for EDC/SD guns as explained earlier and told that they were egfectively equivalent. That's obviously a matter of opinion.
Of course, if I was to actually USE my NRA instructor rating, I would abide by their curriculum content. So far... I'm keeping my day job. So far.

But, in the context of my own ownership and use of firearms, along with folks I "teach" outside the confines of an official NRA course, I prefer Col. Cooper's Four Rules. There is no ambiguity there.

·
Registered
668 Posts
A violation of Rule #1. But, as you said... different strokes. :)

I want my home defense guns to be "ready for use." Granted, they are secured in safes, if they aren't in my direct control. One of the safes is a quick-access safe. But, even most of the guns in the not-as-quick-access (electronic combination) safe are loaded and chambered. I don't want to have to open the safe AND THEN have to load them when the bad guy comes a-knockin'.
As I stated back in post #26, rule of safe gun handling number one says to always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. When the bad guy comes a'knockin', I will not be headed for the gun safes.

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Having a loaded firearm in your home is very dangerous.
You really need to stockpile hockey pucks and get a loud whistle.
These self defense tools as well as dialing 911 is you best way to defend yourself against an armed intruder.
FACETIOUS
Ronne

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I understand both sides on this one. Having a gun in a quick release safe loaded is probably a reasonable home defense plan. It may be preferable having it on the nightstand next to your bed which is my choice. Locked up and loaded in a combination type safe might be a little questionable. If you were on your knees in the middle of the night with a Flashlight in your teeth trying to get the combination while you’re sleepy, it’s probably too late. The smaller the house the less the warning of course. As we age we don’t retain 100% of our ninja capabilities and having to do that may really slow down your response or make it your last.

I guess a factor would also be how many guns do you own. There are gun aficionados that may own dozens of pistols. To keep them all loaded in a safe would seem a very irresponsible practice. I certainly don’t keep every gun I own loaded in the safe.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
When the bad guy comes a'knockin', I will not be headed for the gun safes.
I have a quick-access safe bedside. I have a bigger safe in my closet. Not all of them are loaded. For example... my Ruger Precision Rifle isn't loaded. It's not a defensive type weapon... HOPEFULLY! 😁

The only people with access to the safes are my wife and me. I'm prrrreeeeetty sure I can trust her. ;):unsure:

But, if for some reason, in a defensive situation, I DO head for the bigger safe, I want to be able to "grab-n-go." Whichever firearm I pick up... good to go, and I won't have to go looking for ammo and magazines to load it.

Or it may be that I direct my wife to go to the safe (to get more guns) while I fend off the marauding zombies with the guns I retrieved from the quick-access safe... It won't matter which one she grabs. Just....
Flash photography Beard Font Movie Darkness

She won't have to worry about loading them. Just BRING'EM! Some refer to them as "New York Reloads." 🙃

That's my strategy. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
If we’re supposed to treat all guns AS IF they’re loaded, why not KEEP them loaded?
The late, great Elmer Keith shared this opinion. In fact, he kept all of his guns loaded, all of the time. And everyone in his family knew it. That way, no one would EVER have to wonder if a gun was loaded or not. IT WAS!

Not that I am recommending that practice. But it is one way to look at it.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The late, great Elmer Keith shared this opinion. In fact, he kept all of his guns loaded, all of the time. And everyone in his family knew it. That way, no one would EVER have to wonder if a gun was loaded or not. IT WAS!
Bingo. If "all guns are loaded" is the Gun Safety motto.... then... well....

I don't know who Elmer Keith is. But, I'm guessing he was a smart man. 😁

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Look him up. Read some of his books. He was the man who first developed the .44 magnum round.
Did a search on Amazon. Lots of stuff on hunting and revolvers ("six guns").

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
Look him up. Read some of his books. He was the man who first developed the .44 magnum round.
Keith started with the 44 special hand loading hot loads which eventually developed into the 44 mag.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Elmer Keith is an extremely well-known legend in the firearms world. If memory serves me correctly he was behind the development of the 357 magnum, the 44 magnum and 41 magnum which is an unappreciated round.

Denver, how are you healing up?

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
Elmer Keith is an extremely well-known legend in the firearms world. If memory serves me correctly he was behind the development of the 357 magnum, the 44 magnum and 41 magnum which is an unappreciated round.

Denver, how are you healing up?
Yup, that's correct Shark. As much a legend in firearms as Ed McGivern for his prowess with firearms.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts

Not that I am recommending that practice. But it is one way to look at it.
That’s the way my Dad was. I’m pretty much the same…

41 - 60 of 62 Posts