Florida Concealed Carry banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
OHEng

Thanks for the explanation, that’s kind of what I always believed. I just didn’t want to jump into an argument that would last until 9 mm ammo is back down to $.11 a round or obsolete. I’m certainly not right every single time and appreciate learning things from you and others as life moves forward.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Don't we currently have a voter's license (voter's registration card)? Isn't it free to the voter?
So many cynical answers:

1.) It's free to vote.
But if you want your vote to count, then that costs money.

2.) If you vote five times in a single election, how much is "free divided by five"?

3.) Dead people vote. How much money do they have?

4.) Yes. Voter registration cards are free.
But they are printed on very thin paper.

5.) Wait. You need a voter registration card to vote!?

·
Registered
452 Posts
So many cynical answers:

1.) It's free to vote.
But if you want your vote to count, then that costs money.

2.) If you vote five times in a single election, how much is "free divided by five"?

3.) Dead people vote. How much money do they have?

4.) Yes. Voter registration cards are free.
But they are printed on very thin paper.

5.) Wait. You need a voter registration card to vote!?
My point is, if I exercise my right to vote, the state pays all the processing of applications...etc, but to bear a firearm, (also a right) I have to pay for the license.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Maybe because issuing those licenses has a cost and is not free? Computers, printers, scanners, materials, staff... if the recipients of the license shouldn't have to pay for them, who should?

From a different perspective, we have a right to free speech, so if I wanted to go and protest outside a government agency, should I demand Office Depot just give me the materials I need to make a picket sign in order to exercise that right, or should I expect to fork over a few of my own dollars for cardboard and markers?

My polling place is 1.4 miles from my home. Who is supposed to pick up my gasoline expenses for that round trip on election day, or must I walk it?
These are state employees that get paid by tax dollars which some comes from state gun and ammo sales etc. The cc license fee is just another steal from the state. I am pretty sure the dept of agriculture receives state tax dollars.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Honestly, I'm quite surprised at this coming from you.

There should be no LICENSE AT ALL. It's not that there is a fee. It's that there is a license to assert and practice our Constitutional Rights. A license to be armed is akin to a license to vote or a license to exercise Free Speech.

No... they shouldn't have to pay expenses involved in exercising those Rights. So, yeah... the gov't shouldn't have to supply our guns or our protest posters. But, we shouldn't have to pay the GOV'T for PERMISSION to buy and carry a gun... or a sign in a protest.

A fee for a license to exercise a Right is no different than a poll tax.
Bingo! ^^^^^^^(y)

61 - 65 of 65 Posts