Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got Your Back-Up Ammo Supplies? Why? Because...

...IT IS COMING!

By Chelsea Schilling
© 2008 WorldNetDaily
Posted: December 09, 2008
10:05 pm Eastern

Legislation to trace ammunition is pending in several states, and many gun owners are concerned that it is just another attempt by anti-gun groups to violate citizens' Second Amendment rights.
An organization known as Ammunition Accountability is pushing to make coding technology mandatory across the nation. Its website claims it is a group of "gun crime victims, industry representatives, law enforcement, public officials, public policy experts, and more" who are "saving lives one bullet at a time."
If states pass the legislation, manufacturers will be required to laser etch a serial number into the back of each bullet and the inside of cartridge casings, a patented process developed by Seattle, Wash., resident Russ Ford and his business partners, Steve Mace and John Knickerbocker.
According to Seattle Weekly, the men couldn't find an ammunition manufacturer to agree to stamp bullets, so they hired a lobbyist to push for state legislation to require the laser coding. They launched the Ammunition Accountability website and successfully introduced bills in the following 18 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee and Washington.
Many of the proposals have died or stalled in committee; however the group is still urging lawmakers across the country to introduce the same kind of legislation in other states.
Ammunition Accountability explains its system would require states to establish databases to track coded ammunition for handguns and assault rifles. The databases would be funded by a surcharge of up to five cents per bullet.
According to its sample legislation, manufacturers would be forced to code all ammunition sold in the state. Private citizens and retail outlets would be required to dispose of all non-coded ammunition no later than Jan. 1, 2011.
Each vendor would record the following information about customers who buy the ammunition: Date, name, driver's license or ID number, date of birth and ammunition identifier. The businesses would maintain records for three years from the date of purchase.
"When a potential criminal purchases a box of 9mm cartridges, the box of ammunition and the bullets' coding numbers would be connected to the purchaser in a statewide database," Ammunition Accountability explains. "When a bullet is found at a crime scene, the code on the bullet can be read with a simple magnifying glass and then be run through a statewide database to determine who purchased the ammunition and where, providing a valuable investigative lead."
However, critics claim the system is severely flawed.
The National Rifle Association warns encoding ammunition would result in forfeiture of currently owned ammunition, separate registration for every box of ammo, outrageously expensive costs for police and private citizens and wasted taxpayer money that could be spent on traditional police programs.
The NRA also suggests private citizens could be required to keep records on anyone who uses or buys their ammunition – even family members and friends. Furthermore, it said lawbreakers could find ways to prevent their bullets from being traced.
"Criminals could beat the system," the NRA claims. "A large percentage of criminals' ammunition (and guns) is stolen. Criminals could also collect ammunition cases from shooting ranges, and reload them with molten lead bullets made without serial numbers."
Some bloggers suggested criminals could simply modify their own rounds by removing the coding before firing them.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
So let's see. A car gets used in a robbery. No problem the police found the car and it's got a license plate and it's registered. Good they'll find the culprit. No they won't. All they'll find is a pissed off owner who reported the car stolen previously. Same scenario with these micro stamped ammo. Police runs the ammo and it's not even purchased by anyone yet. It got stolen from the local Walmart or gunstore.

How does this help stop crime again?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gay-theists

It is time to call these GAY-TEISTS what they are - TERRORISTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, if we feel threatened by terrorists - what do we do ???

TERMINATE WITH PREJUDICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ak

·
Registered
130 Posts
So what next-------a waiting period to buy ammo. :thumbsdwn

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
If only they would put as much thought into identifying who is picking up a welfare check!

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
Don't just ***** about it (and BTW, this story has been floating around for at least a year)...let your elected representatives know that this technology is completely impractical and has no law enforcement value; it will drive the price of ammunition out of the reach of many gun owners, in part because Ammunition Accountability intends to charge a royalty on every round of ammunition produced that is encoded with their system! Also tell them that you are disgusted with the fact that a private company that couldn't interest anyone in puchasing its product in the free market is now lobbying the government to make use of its product the law of the land.

I personally don't think this legislation has a real chance of being enacted nationally, just as "ballistic fingerprinting" hasn't taken off (due in no small part to the fact that it simply doesn't work as advertised); word will get out quickly about how easy it is to defeat the technology, rendering it useless as a law enforcement tool.

This is also regulation that would affect ALL gun owners and hunters, so resistance to its enactment will be great; it's not a divide-and-conquer issue between different factions of gun owners, a la "assault weapons". The legislation also calls for all un-encoded ammunition after a certain date to be "disposed of"...huh? Oh, you mean like the seizure of billions of rounds of privately owned ammunition, as well as trillions of empty cartridge cases? Oh don't forget, you'll have to go out and confiscate the thousands and thousands of bullet molds from reloaders all over the country as well, since you can't encode raw lead.

That would be even more of an impossible task than going door-to-door and rounding up all the guns! :eek:

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be vigilant; I think nonsense like this does have a chance of being adopted in a state like CA or IL, where consideration for logic is not a significant factor with regards to gun control legislation. And there are other technologies looming that have the potential to effectively neuter the 2nd Amendment...microstamping has already been signed into law in CA and propellant tagging is another technology under development. :thumbsdwn

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
It was brought up in Az last year, the house and senate let it die.

It can't be implemented, the technology is not perfected yet. It's an idea only at this time that MIGHT become reality in a decade or more..

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
It was brought up in Az last year, the house and senate let it die.

It can't be implemented, the technology is not perfected yet. It's an idea only at this time that MIGHT become reality in a decade or more..

Brownie
Bastards will want our laser beams by then too!

·
Registered
580 Posts
they will have to pry my phaser from my cold dead hands, LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Ya know, it's funny talking smack about no guns...... BUT it might be just the catalyst to get some dude with a lot of initials after his name to invent a cool new ray-gun!

·
Registered
10,558 Posts

·
653 Posts
Never underestimate the power of greed. The fact that they got politicians to introduce the legislation is scary enough. Anyone, that looks at this idea should notice two things right away. 1. It is a ploy to make a load of money by the inventors of the system. 2. Implementation cost would be astronomical.

But remember folks, give the politicians enough insentive in the form of money and screw the cost. The taxpayers are the ones that will front the bill and we all know how much consideration our elected officials have for the tax payers.

Call me paranoid if you want but I sincerely believe that in about twenty years, probably sooner, we will loose our rights to carry a weapon, own a weapon and self defense. The only ones that will be carrying weapons are the criminals, terrorists and the New World Order Terror Troopers. We will all be considered soft targets and collateral.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
In 20 years, I WILL be a soft target, regardless of what the govt thinks :rolf

Brownie
Brownie, I just looked into my crystal ball and saw you in 20 years when they come and try to take away your guns!

You don't look like a soft target to me!! :rolf

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Yup, that's me, ---------- chair on the porch, but mine will be a rocking chair:rolf

20 years, I'll be closing in on 80:eek:

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Yup, that's me, ---------- chair on the porch, but mine will be a rocking chair:rolf

20 years, I'll be closing in on 80:eek:

Brownie
So that means you are only in your upper 50's now? What a pup.

MamaBear

·
Registered
117 Posts
"It'll never happen"
Yep, that's waht we said about gays in the military, too....and cameras on traffic lights...and on and on.

·
Registered
974 Posts
"It'll never happen"
Yep, that's waht we said about gays in the military, too....and cameras on traffic lights...and on and on.
When I served we had at least one gay in one of my units. He did his job and nobody gave him a hard time. Umm, a difficult time.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
When I served we had at least one gay in one of my units. He did his job and nobody gave him a hard time. Umm, a difficult time.
And he probably had the neatest bunk in the unit. :laughing

1 - 20 of 28 Posts