Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home from work today and taking it easy as I normally do. I usually let the "rushers" go by because I don't want to get caught in the rushing to reach home crowd. I was approaching the left turn lane and seeing that the light just turned red in from of me I slowed down because there was no need to rush to a red light. As I did this two cars manage to cut in-front of me crossing the solid white line. They managed to fit into the lane and straightened up as if they were there before. A third vehicle tried the same thing but there was not enough space for him to come in front of me so he had to stop short. By this time I was getting annoyed and I decide to not let this guy get in the lane in front of me when the light turned green. Someone else will have to give him a break.

The guy then rolled down his window and motioned to me that he wanted me to let him get into the lane when the light changed. Being already ticked off I mouthed the words to him "why". This somehow set this guy off and he started cursing me. All this time I did not remember that my gun was in the center console but the thought came back to me as soon as the guy started getting upset. Then to my surprise he actually got out of his vehicle and started heading towards me. I froze up for a second because I could not believe that my words "why" could have set someone off this bad that he had to leave his vehicle. Once it had sunk in as to what was going on I never took my eyes off the guy for one second but I could feel my right hand touching the grip of my gun. This all happened subconsciously. What I did though is stop myself from revealing the gun. I kept my hand in the center console while holding the gun. the reason I did this is because I felt like I had to give this guy every chance to walk away before I did anything. At this time my heart was pounding and I could hear myself breathing hard. The light changed and the cars started moving and he got back in his vehicle and I actually let him go in front of me.

This whole episode lasted no more that 5-10 seconds yet it seemed to last a long time. Why was I so stupid as to not let this guy go in front of me just to avoid this kind of situation. Why are people so hot headed and think they can just get out of their vehicle and approach someone in anger. How did he know that I wasn't armed. I guess he did not think. I have to remind myself to just let things go just to avoid any confrontations. I am happy that I did not reveal my gun because there is no telling what would have happened next.
I got home to my family safe. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great job of keeping your cool. :drinks He's stupid actions could have gotten himself "Stopped". I'm not sure if it would have been self defense since you were in a vehicle and had a chance to flee even if you crashed head on into traffic I am sure some dumb : censored lawyer would have pulled that on you. . I know you have the right to stand your ground even if in a vehicle I'm grateful that you did the right thing and i didn't have to hear about this on bay news 9 . Sometimes doing the right thing means not always doing the right thing.Keeping a phone in your vehicle even if its not in service is a good idea to have one they still have to allow you to call 911 and even if its a false alarm its always best to have a paper trail in case he later tried to do something.

Added: What do you do in a vehicle situation where you aren't always the driver and the person freezes up. Or maybe there are children crossing the street in front of you i mean however you react you have to cause damage to someone or something.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
After driving in NYC most of my life I have seen my share of rude drivers. When I moved down to Florida about a year ago, I noticed the general attitude of far too many drivers here as overly aggressive. Then you mix in the general arrogance of these drivers and you get a situation where they cut YOU off, and THEY get pissed. Where I come from, the victim is the one entitled to be angry!

He's was a jerk but you were smart to lay back and be cautious. These idiots don't realize that behaving this way could be very hazardous to their health. Glad it had a happy ending and you were not forced into a bad situation.

Hopefully the next time he pulls an end-around at a light, there will be a cop waiting at the light in the opposite direction.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I drive a motorcoach up and down our fair state i see more then my fair share of knucleheads on the road yardman i commend you on keeping your cool i know it can be hard sometimes trust me and sometimes i find myself on the edge but i remind myself its really not worth it. i just let them go if they are in such a hurry in the end true theres always a cop somewhere waitingand it will catch up with them i remember this defensive driving class i took long time back guy ask how many people have safe driver on your license most raise thier hands instructor replied its cause you haven't een caught yet. lol anyways stay cool be safe.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I used to teach (my certification expired in January...so recently) a defensive driver class. You are right...we would teach our trainees to just let it go...and get home safely. Let the moron that thinks he is getting something over on you to think that...and proceed on your merry way.

Brother...you handled yourself very well in this situation...and I commend you. Why did you react to him the way you did? You are human...and we all reach a point where we get tired of being taken advantage of. It's human nature...and look at what happened.
The guy thinks that he was able to get in front of you because he intimidated you...who cares...let him think that...his thinking cannot directly injure you...the truth is...he may have died that day if he had persisted in his actions.

You did well...and will continue to advance in your concealed carry and driving wisdom the more you practice it.

Salut!

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I have learned to avoid the hot heads as much as possible. Because I look simple some may take it as a sign of weakness. They would be sadly mistaken. You have to let these a-holes get their way sometimes. Remain calm, cool, and focused. Watch their hands, movement and jestures. Dont show your weapon until absolutely necessary. Glad you got home safely. Good job.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Why did you react to him the way you did? You are human...and we all reach a point where we get tired of being taken advantage of. It's human nature...and look at what happened.

Salut!
Amen, Singlestack. Amen. I live in Broward, I work in Miami Dade and I see this everyday as well. Congratulations Yardman. You outclassed another one of these/those rude : censored, non driving folks down here. If that jerk only knew.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I am happy that I did not reveal my gun because there is no telling what would have happened next.
I got home to my family safe. :)

You handled the situation exactly as a person who has a Concealed Weapon License should handle it.

The license to carry a firearm puts a greater responsibility on our shoulders than the average citizen. With that responsibility comes the need of restraint.

The following is the letter of the law we must live by:

The 2007 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 776
JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

776.012 Use of force in defense of person.--A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or

776.08 Forcible felony.--"Forcible felony" means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

By not drawing your weapon until you absolutely had to, you showed the maturity and responsibility necessary to insure that you were safe, yet still had the option to defend yourself if the scenario had escalated to say a carjacking.

Congratulations my friend, you have just passed the first of many tests you will experience while practicing "the right to keep and bear arms".

Good job!! :thumsup

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great job, Yardman. I especially appreciate that you did nothing to escalate the situation after he got out of his car. It would have been very easy for most people to slip and say something inflammatory to this guy.

I've not personally been in a similar situation (thankfully) but I do hear of them often. Scary to be sure, because there's no way to know what his intentions or capabilities were.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would say my driving has mellowed a lot since I have been carrying. Knowing where it will go if someone wants to get carried away means I let people get away with a lot more. It just isn't worth going where the impetuous path can take you and I avoid it.

Two important things to remember. I know that I do dumb things at times on the road and I expect others do also and can forgive them. Second, driving is a game where we all win if we make it home in one piece with our vehicles undamaged.

I think you handled it well, other than that mouthing at the guy was less than a well considered move. He could have interpreted that as any one of a number of slurs since he didn't hear what you said. Personally, I most likely would have let him cut in front but there are times when I have just had enough also and might have responded.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
TEN YEARS OR SO I WOULD HAVE GOT OUT &SEE WHAT HE WAS MADE OF BUT 1999 I APPLIED FOR A CWL GOT IT. MADE ME LOOK AT THINGS ALITTLE DIFFERENT+BROTHER (LEO) HAD LONG TALK WHITH ME ROAD WITH HIM COUPLE DOZZEN TIMES GOT TO SE LEO GO THROUGH LET ME TELL YOU IM WELL INFORMED OF THE LAW SETTELED DOWN WHOLE LOT GETTING OLD BACK AINT WHAT IT USED TO BE BUT THE MIND IS A LOT STRONGER. NOW I JUSS LIT IT GO BUT ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION WHEVER YOU ARE YARDDOG :thumsup

·
Registered
480 Posts
The situation doesn't have to escalate to carjacking to justify use of deadly force. 776.013 (Home protection, aka Castle Doctrine) also applies to occupied vehicles.
776.013 Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.--

(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:

(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person's will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and

(b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
Not suggesting that would be the preferred choice, but if someone tries to enter or remove you from your vehicle, you are justified to do whatever is necessary to stop them.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
If that jerk only knew.
Wouldn't it be great if these jerks were to receive a letter on some LEA official letterhead informing them...

"On such and such date, you attempted to initiate an assault on another motorist. We here at the XYZ Department would like to inform you that the individual you approached was a CHL holder and was armed. You are lucky to be alive today", or words to that effect? Perhaps that would get some of these hotheads to calm down.

Good job, Yardman. :thumsup

·
Registered
45 Posts
"On such and such date, you attempted to initiate an assault on another motorist. We here at the XYZ Department would like to inform you that the individual you approached was a CHL holder and was armed. You are lucky to be alive today"

I would just LOVE to see that!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Remember to hold the fire until the threat is identified, quantified, and verified. Walks up to your door, hold, yells and shake fist, hold, kicks door, hold, breaks glass, hold, reaches in and trys to pull you out, now you have a threat and the jury is on your side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kudos to you, sir. Me personally, would have had my gun in my hand when I noticed the third guy's intentions. Instead of a "why", he would have gotten a, sorry but no, type nod. Of course it would have probably ended the same way.
Now back in 98, about a year and a half before I got my ccl, I was on my way to work and apparently not going fast enough for a taxicab. I cant remember if there was on coming traffic or maybe he just wanted to intimidate me by being on my buttcause I feel he could have passed me if he wanted to. So this is a residential area down Cessery (30mph) and about 2 or 3 blocks down into this there's a traffic light up ahead (Terry Parker Dr.) after which the road turns into a 2 lane for a block and then a light (Arlington Rd.). I had been carrying my Beretta 92FS in my car pretty much since I got it in 1989 and had always practiced getting it ready for action. Well anytime the drivers get a little crazy is as good as any time to practice. Just as I was getting to that light I reached down under my seat and flicked the thumb brake of the holster but left the gun in place. The light had turned red and I guess he taught I slowed down on purpose, I might have. I'm looking at this guy in my rearview mirror as I'm stopped at the light and he is now hitting his steering wheel and giving me the finger so I grab my gun and kept it on the seat with my hand on it. As the light turned green and the road turned into a 2 lane he passed me but got really pissed off cause he didnt make the next light. About 30 seconds into the wait and at a point when I knew he was looking at me through his mirror I blew him a kiss and I'd be damned if that didn't blow his lid. Now he gets out of the cab, this is when I rack my baby up (never had one in the chamber back then), he took a couple of steps towards my vehicle and I lowered my window and said "What's the problem" all calm and collected. The light had changed back to Green and this guy behind me was flashing a gun yelling "Come on, let's go". He got back in the cab and went on. At the next light(before the Expressway) the guy that was behind got next to me and I could tell he was on my side. He asked "What the heck was wrong with that guy?". "Crazy I guess" I said. "Cause I had something for him" as he is showing me his gun. I just replied "You and me both, dude" I had such an adrenaline rush that when I got to work I locked my Keys in the car.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Your car is also your castle and you can have your gun in hand if a threat is percieved just don't wave it around in a threathening manner. Keep it out of sight until you need it. It's best to be on the right side of the law.

·
653 Posts
You did well, just be careful not showing the gun till you have to use it.

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.--If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

·
653 Posts
About 20 years ago a young man was trying to cut in front of me during a bad traffic jam up north. I did not have a weapon or license then. My car was over heating from standing so long. My car did not have an electric radiator fan it was a belt driven and they tended to heat up during the summer. I was trying to squeeze between the car in front of me and the shoulder to pull over and let the car cool down so I didn't let him squeeze in front of me. My car was beginning to smoke (water vapor) a bit. He honked rolled down his window and started cursing me profane. I tried to explain that if he stopped trying to cut in front of me I would pull over and he can take my spot in line. He got out of his car cursing and he grabbed me and tried to pull me out through my window while punching me on the head. My mother was with me and got histerical screaming. I got pinned between the steering wheel and the window and could not move. He let go a bit and I showed him the smoke coming out from under the hood and told him I was trying to pull over to shut the car off. He kicked my car a few times and spit at me, then got in his car. By this time the traffic had moved enough that I was able to pull over and he went on his way. I wish I had my license and gun then. But I am not sure that even that would have been enough cause to take his life. What do you fellows think. I can relate to that kind of scenario because I lived it and I know how I felt while it was going on. I could have gone out and met him but really he was too big and strong for me and I think being in the car saved me from a bigger butt whipping.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
About 20 years ago a young man was trying to cut in front of me during a bad traffic jam up north. I did not have a weapon or license then. My car was over heating from standing so long. My car did not have an electric radiator fan it was a belt driven and they tended to heat up during the summer. I was trying to squeeze between the car in front of me and the shoulder to pull over and let the car cool down so I didn't let him squeeze in front of me. My car was beginning to smoke (water vapor) a bit. He honked rolled down his window and started cursing me profane. I tried to explain that if he stopped trying to cut in front of me I would pull over and he can take my spot in line. He got out of his car cursing and he grabbed me and tried to pull me out through my window while punching me on the head. My mother was with me and got histerical screaming. I got pinned between the steering wheel and the window and could not move. He let go a bit and I showed him the smoke coming out from under the hood and told him I was trying to pull over to shut the car off. He kicked my car a few times and spit at me, then got in his car. By this time the traffic had moved enough that I was able to pull over and he went on his way. I wish I had my license and gun then. But I am not sure that even that would have been enough cause to take his life. What do you fellows think. I can relate to that kind of scenario because I lived it and I know how I felt while it was going on. I could have gone out and met him but really he was too big and strong for me and I think being in the car saved me from a bigger butt whipping.
People are much scarier these days. People these days not only want to give you a good butt wooping but if they are violent enough to beat you then they could kill you. That's why I would not want to be in a position like what you went through, because I would be forced to use deadly force.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts