Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my license and I am very excited to start carrying my firearm but i need some tips on how to start carrying. What do you recommend me to start with? I think I should start wearing the holster without the gun at home to se how it feels.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
You need to start carrying right away, most holsters require some break in time. I'm old school so all my holsters are custom leather (Andrew's custom leather) except one I got in a trade (panther concealment). Don't make a newb mistake and buy a off the shelf holster made to fit more than one gun it almost always ends with a poor fitting holster. You will need a gunbelt, I prefer a kydex re-enforced bull hide (TT-gun leather), a two magazine carrier and a Tac-light with sheath. If the holster fits too tight wrap pistol with the plastic bag it came with over night until it loosens up. It is best to buy quality you will use it every day and cheap stuff will need to be replaced and not save you any money. As an example my belt is at least 12 years old and still looks like new.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I think one of the best things you could do for yourself would be to sign up for ebl’s threat focused pistol class the next time it is offered. You will learn to shoot quickly and accurately without reference to the sights, a skill which may save your life if you ever have to use your pistol. You will see lots of references to it on the training and tactics subforum.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Just to emphasize Earl007's point about a gun belt. To be clear, a gun belt isn't a "thick" or "heavy" belt. You can't buy a gun belt at Walmart or JC Penny's.

A REAL gun belt is its own animal. It's TWO layers of leather with the grain running perpendicular to each other, stitched together. Some have additional stiffeners sandwiched in between the 2 layers. There are also the nylon type of gun belts. You have to get it from a company that makes GUN belts. There are TONS of them out there. Some holster makers, such as Crossbreed, also make belts. Then there are companies like The Belt Man and Wilderness Tactical Products.

Don't let anyone tell you that a "thick" belt is the same. It's not. Huge difference. And, it makes a big difference in terms of security and comfort. Get a GUN belt. :)

As for holsters, I also agree that you should get one specifically molded for YOUR gun. As for the style or type.... it's a bit of a crapshoot, because everyone has different preferences. If you're like most of us, you'll eventually collect a "box-o'-holsters" as you experiment to see what you like.

I use a "hybrid" type holster... part leather, part kydex. Inside the waistband. I have Crossbreed's Supertuck and White Hat Holsters' MaxTuck.

Your mileage may vary! :grin

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
How about some one on one instruction with a competent person. Preferable an instructor, only so much comes from reading about actions. Much of those fundamentals were taught to many by Fathers, Mothers and range time with family and friends in their youth.
Then move on to carrying.... performance shooting... threat focus training....

But by all means, strap up and go

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Also... make sure you know Florida CCW laws.... cold. If you haven't already, get Gutmacher's book.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
So I got my license and I am very excited to start carrying my firearm but i need some tips on how to start carrying. What do you recommend me to start with? I think I should start wearing the holster without the gun at home to se how it feels.
What works for me:
An inside waistband (IWB) kydex holster from High Noon Holsters, and a thin, stiff gun belt.
Maybe I got lucky early and didn't have to do a lot of shopping around, or I'm just easy to please?
I suspect the former. Good luck.

https://www.highnoonholsters.com/kydex-holsters/medium-duty/reaction-medium
https://www.daltechforce.com/collections/superbio-gun-belts
https://www.daltechforce.com/collections/superbio-gun-belts/products/black-tactical-superbio-gun-belt

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Great tips mentioned above but let me add do not get misled into thinking the life portrayed by Hollywood films and TV is anything close to reality, IT IS NOT. Read this forum. Between the petty BS there are great tips and experiences. GET PROPER TRAINING. Practice. If this is beginning to sound like a lot of work it is not. You will find there is enjoyment along the way, it doesn't have to be all work. You will also be meeting some fine people taking or that have taken this same path you are beginning on.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
How about some one on one instruction with a competent person. Preferable an instructor, only so much comes from reading about actions. Much of those fundamentals were taught to many by Fathers, Mothers and range time with family and friends in their youth.
Then move on to carrying.... performance shooting... threat focus training....

But by all means, strap up and go
EBL offers one on one instruction. It took him all of about 4 hours to get me squared away and I had some very bad habits to overcome. I don’t think you need to wait to take the threat focused class. I was new to pistol shooting when I took it, although I had lots of shotgun and rifle experience, and I had no issues with the class and benefitted greatly from it.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Like most on here just said,
Find a real firearm intruder to help you on how to really be safe carrying a gun.
Go to a range and SHOOT - SHOOT -SHOOT
The store where you bought your gun should be able to find a good instructor for you.
Now join the N.R.A
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How about an ELB link?
he replies to forum messages. scroll up and click on PRIVATE MESSAGE.

his business name is Family Home Protection but I could not find a website for it.

Have been lucky to train with some of south Florida's best and highly recommend:
Rick as mentioned above, Bob Harvey of So Fl Gun School, and Will Farrugia of The Executive Solution. A sometime visitor to Florida from Arizona is Robin"Brownie" Brown of Threat Focused Training. You cannot go wrong with any of these fine instructors.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Great recommendations above about training. Either EBL or Bob Harvey (in Boca?) will get you up to speed in no time. Their instruction is worth its weight in gold.

·
Super Moderator
10,564 Posts
You're getting lots of good advice, but be sure of one thing. You're going to try some things that work for you, and some that don't. Don't worry about the things that don't. Learn the lesson and move on.

What I learned is that things like Sneaky Pete and similar things didn't work for me- too bulky. I also learned that IWB (in waist band) is a good way to carry, but it wasn't for me. OWB (outside waist band) was where I ended up.

Lot's of people like Kydex, and that's fine. Panther Concealment has a lot of fans here. My own preference is leather, and I like Little Bear Holsters, though I think they're in transition to another name. I got lucky there. I ordered holsters with both belt loops for OWB and clips for IWB. I carried IWB for a year or more before deciding to switch over. I removed the clips and was ready to go. I don't carry in the house, but I wear a holster almost constantly. When I go out, I drop my regular carry weapon in the holster and I'm off. I wear nothing but pullover shirts these days, so that takes care of the cover issue.

The point is, only you can decide what works for you, but carry- everywhere you go. You'll soon forget that it's there, but it will be if you need it.

Finally, I probably don't need to say it, but a good place to get your concealed carry badge is- nowhere!!! Don't be silly.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Heed the advice for additional training. It really is the best money you will ever spend.

Good advice here about belts and holsters, also. Buy what looks right to you, and be aware that you will probably change it as time goes on. What you buy first is rarely what you end up with later on.

Finally, get a belt and holster, strap on your gun, and go do the "Wally Walk." That is, go to your neighborhood Walmart and do some shopping. You are going to feel self-conscious. You are going to be afraid that your gun is showing. You are going to think everyone is staring at you. That's okay. Do it anyway. And here's the thing... If your gun is even half-way concealed, no one is going to notice anything. People just don't. That's what you learn from the Wally Walk. Do it a couple of more times, and pretty soon you will realize that your gun IS concealed, people are NOT staring at you, and you can QUIT feeling self-conscious.

Good luck.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Instruction and training is great, but to your original question, how to start carrying? See if someone experienced on this forum would be willing to get together with you to help show you the ropes of concealed carry; holster, belt, how to properly handle a gun, etc. When I was in your shoes I had no one to advise me on anything. I took a few range classes. That was a good start, but did not help with the concealed carry part of it. I had to figure it out myself by trial and error. If I were close to you, I'd offer but im not near you. Good luck !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you so much for the great feedback, it's been amazing these few weeks, between buying the guns, going to the range, learning from experienced guys like you and reading Jon Gutmacher's book, I am having a great time. I never thought of buying a gun belt, thanks for the tip, I know it will make a big difference.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Thank you so much for the great feedback, it's been amazing these few weeks, between buying the guns, going to the range, learning from experienced guys like you and reading Jon Gutmacher's book, I am having a great time. I never thought of buying a gun belt, thanks for the tip, I know it will make a big difference.
You found a great group here. :grin

Congrats on taking the plunge. It's a "process," but it can be fun, too. Eventually, carrying concealed will by like putting on your watch.

·
Registered
54,224 Posts
Instruction and training is great, but to your original question, how to start carrying? See if someone experienced on this forum would be willing to get together with you to help show you the ropes of concealed carry; holster, belt, how to properly handle a gun, etc. When I was in your shoes I had no one to advise me on anything. I took a few range classes. That was a good start, but did not help with the concealed carry part of it. I had to figure it out myself by trial and error. If I were close to you, I'd offer but im not near you. Good luck !
Bought my first handgun in 73, in Ca. of all places. No one showed me how to carry it, I bought a holster, put the gun in same and carried on [ sorta speak ]. :grin

Carried that gun for a few years in that same holster without anyone's input. Necessity is the mother of invention. Carrying concealed 50 years later, and a little wiser some minor changes have been made, but for the most part, nothing really has changed. Buy gun, buy holster, put it on belt, continuing to "carry on". Would advice have sped up the learning curve? Maybe, but not by much.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts